123 Last

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default What qualities make a person heroic?

what do you think makes a person trully heroic?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

An extreme amount of courage coupled with a tinge of self-sacrifice.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    IsFJ

Resilience, bravery, compassion, willingness to face one's fears, responsibility, a bit of humility and a spoonful of altruism.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

could you (either of you) elaborate on why altruism is heroic?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    IsFJ

Well, sometimes you need to sacrifice your own comfort/personal gain for the sake of a higher cause... Like how Gandhi gave up his life as a defense attorney to become an activism for social change.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I have a hard time deciding if pure altruism even exists.

"Pure altruism is giving up a value (a reward or benefit) with no expectation of any compensation or benefits, either direct, or indirect (for instance from recognition of the giving"

I believe most people give to better society (thus bettering their society) or they give because they feel like it is the right thing to do (thus they still receive a benefit-- the benefit of believing they did a good deed).

Pure altrusism would basically have to be an act that you had no idea of. Because as soon as you are aware of the act, you have received a benefit.

If it did exist (which is still questionable to me) it would have to be perceived as heroic by others, but not the person.

hero (male) and heroine (female) came to refer to characters who, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self sacrifice—that is, heroism—for some greater good of all humanity. This definition originally referred to martial courage or excellence but extended to more general moral excellence.

I suppose giving up your life in an attempt to better it for someone else could be seen as the most heroic act, and the closest to altruistic, though one might still receive the benefit of believing they did the right thing, or the benefit of knowing their death would be heroic.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Default Walking the Line Between Good and Evil: The Common Thread of Heroes and Villains

I read this months ago and considered posting it on TypoC. I am not so sure I agree, but I offer it up as grist for the mill.

Walking the Line Between Good and Evil: The Common Thread of Heroes and Villains
    By Andrea Kuszewski (Guest Blogger)
    Andrea Kuszewski is a Behavior Therapist and Consultant for children on the autism spectrum, residing in Florida; her expertise is in Asperger’s Syndrome, or high-functioning autism.
    Mar 31, 2011 11:34 AM
    Scientific American Blog
    Excerpt:
    Mythology, science fiction and comic books are chock full of stories of heroes and their battles against the ills of society—the eternal struggle between good and evil. We are meant to view these two main characters—the Hero and the Villain—as opposites on the spectrum of ethics and morality. But are they really so different when you look at their individual traits and behaviors?

Contrary to popular belief, right and wrong, moral and immoral, ethical and unethical—are not always on opposite ends of the spectrum of good and evil. In addition, the people who fight for the cause on either side may not always look or act like the one you would expect. Science may finally give some support to the old saying: There is a fine line between good and evil.
    What is Heroism?
    In the days following the devastating earthquake in Japan, word quickly spread about heroism displayed across the region—from the 50 brave nuclear workers, "The Fukushima 50" who stayed behind after evacuation in a valiant attempt to prevent further disaster, to a man who donned scuba gear and went into the tsunami to rescue his wife and mother, as well as other (sometimes a bit tall) tales of men and women who fearlessly put themselves on the line to help others in the midst of that tragedy.

Would we consider all of these people heroes, or were these just ordinary men and women who rose to the occasion? Is there something else that plays a role—a specific personality type—that makes people more likely to engage in very heroic acts?

While in the case of Japan it is likely a combination of factors, such as culture and situational rise to heroism, there is a specific personality type that is more likely to engage in extremely heroic behavior. Interestingly, this type of person is also very likely to be the kind of impulsive, argumentative person that readily breaks rules, acts impulsively, challenges authority—but all for the sake of good. These extreme heroes do not fit the image of the kind, peaceful, non-aggressive hero, like the Dalai Lama—in fact, they may not always be the most pleasant people to be around; they tend to be the ones who always stir up trouble or rock the boat, the whistleblowers. But they are the most important types of heroes to support, because they have the highest potential to do extremely good works.

Am I saying that the world’s greatest heroes are also some of the most hard-headed, rebellious, not-necessarily-law-abiding rule-breakers by nature? Yes, I am. Not only that, there may be a genetic link between these extreme heroes and those least expected to act heroically—the Sociopath. This person is called the Extreme Altruist, or X-Altruist.
    Heroism to the Extreme
    A hero is someone who goes out of their way to help others at the expense of their own safety and well-being. This could mean getting fired from a job, arrested, injured, or even facing death. More than just an altruist, who has selfless concern for the welfare of others, a hero takes action—usually bold action.

Right now I prefer to use the term "Extreme Altruist", or X-Altruist, rather than "Hero", because a person can rate very high on a scale of altruism without ever engaging in a heroic act; I am speaking here of the personality type, not necessarily the actions committed by the person. The X-Altruist is the most extreme type of hero; the one who takes the highest risks, with a lot to lose, putting their safety and welfare on the line—and does it time and time again. To an X-Altruist, heroism is a way of life, a daily state of being, a temperament.

< read the entire essay >
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 06-27-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    IsFJ

I guess I was using "altruism" in a more colloquial sense... I didn't mean to turn this into another ethics discussion.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Being brave and resolute in the face of dangers, even those you find really frightening - courage isn't the absence of fear, it's facing fears; unselfishness, putting your family, the common good, etc ahead of your own needs and comfort.

Plus I like mountain climbers and Gladiator-style warriors, but sometimes it's a fine line between heroism and stupidity
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

As a cynic about the "heroic" term, everyone has the ability to be altruistic. But you'll find that most aren't sincerely altruistic since there's personal gain involved even if it's only an internal dopamine hit of "I dun gud".

As expressed in another thread, the real heroes or altruists are the ones who facilitate altruistic acts, shut up about it and don't pat themselves on the back for their actions. More along the lines of "this must be addressed" and doing it without fanfare.