User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Violence

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    We fought a lot against the Nazi invaders during WWII, tbh. It just depends who's coming. Yeah, we're not an aggressive population, but we do have our pet pevees.
    Italy was an Axis state until it became inexpedient to continue being so.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Italy was an Axis state until it became inexpedient to continue being so.
    Yeah, that's what the government did. The government isn't necessarily aligned with the population, in a dictatorship. I'd say even now, an extremely large part of the population is not aligned with Berlusconi.

This is what I'm talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian...tance_movement
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    What have/would you fight for? When is it time to go to war?
    Over history, I see two main reasons.

(A) when your are paid/forced to go.
    (B) when it comes to your doorstep.

Unless you are a soldier, people feel that war is something that should only happen to other people.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

What have/would you fight for?
    Whatever I want; depending on who, what, when, where, and why, I may engage in an act of violence if I wish, or possibly need to.

When is it time to go to war?
    When the time is right.

Body Count

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    we're not an aggressive population
    C'mon, just recently we killed 3.1 miillion Vietnamese on the other side of the world - 2.1 million combants and 1 million civilians.

Such a large body count can only be called industrial killing. And we now know this particular industrial killing was planned in advance with a lie as causam belli.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    C'mon, just recently we killed 3.1 miillion Vietnamese on the other side of the world - 2.1 million combants and 1 million civilians.

Such a large body count can only be called industrial killing. And we now know this particular industrial killing was planned in advance with a lie as causam belli.
    Victor...I'm not american
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Well, once upon a time I was walking out of a gathering of esteemed individuals and as I was about to open the gate from the back yard to the front yard, I heard a sloshing sound and something hit my back. I turned around and discovered a red plastic cup on the ground, I smelt the hoppy aroma of a well-crafted beer, and I eyed a fine gentleman standing some distance away looking at me menacingly.

To this assault, I could only find one word.

"Really?" I inquired, not quite so chipper.

From there the gentleman inquired what I was saying to his "[fine lady]".

I informed him that no such meeting of minds or words had occurred, and at this point the gentlemen made a quick repetitive motion - a hand gesture, quite like one would make with a ice pick - and informed me that I should "[vacate the premises or he would place a dagger in my thorax]".

I found this quite disagreeable and I went on my way - the same way I would have gone if I had not been interrupted just a few moments prior - and sat in my car for a moment as he then came around to the front yard of the house and threw what appeared to be a large amount of detritus (with much gusto, fervor, and noise) onto the neighborhood cars and properties.

I can tell you that I had little to win there, except some small bit of pride, which in the face of some foolish confrontation that would have ended in one or both of us with grievous injury, is a small enough loss that I find it acceptable, except in my most unreasonable hours.

But I'll pose the answer: Pride.
    I very much like the manner in which this is written. Sometimes I try and make my internal dialogue reflect this kind of thing.

If more people did think like this I think the world would be a better place.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I can think of lots of reasons to fight, I dont think that may necessarily mean violence on all occasions, it could just mean stratagem. I've made a study of violence and deal with the management of challenging behaviour in my line of work, trying to prevent it happening, trying to de-escalate it when it does, trying to make its reoccurence less likely.

I'm not sure that a lot of people are prepared to contemplate the reality of violence, aggression and threat in life. I think the majority of people prefer to ignore it or deny it or simply not think about it. Its the opposite of the other extreme where people make it their entire reason for being and their entire focus.

I've read good sociological and psychological studies which indicate that violence is a minority pursuit, most people when they become violent are engaged in a sort of "forward panic" flailing, wanting to end something, aggression, threat, whatever. Its the same way in which flight, if it is the choice people make is often disorganised, they'll dash, even into something, not even taking account of the best or safest means of escape or exit. Whether its a person or a fire or something else its the same.