User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Aside from individual preferences, it is better to live a life with both agony and ecstacy in terms of the biological imperatives implied by having limbic and adrenal systems, in particular the HPA axis, and its mediation by experiences of agony and ecstacy, and those experiences' effects on cortisol, dopamine, and other hormones and neurotransmitters.

Why better? Better because it is healthy, and the context was living life.

cheers,
    Ian

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I think the terms are relative... one man's agony is just another man's pain. As such, I don't believe I've experienced either... perhaps coming close to agony which tells me the intensity of its flip side but, all-in-all, I've done just fine without them and see no need of them. In fact, I think they have the potential at least of interfering with rationality and, given that, can be fairly destructive.... another reason for nix.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

Having lived with a what I think is a large amount of relative agony to a miniscule amount of ecstacy, I would not have missed the lessons I learned from my agony and I could do with some more ecstacy! So I would have to say the latter.

additional thought: To live a passionless life is no life at all.
    Last edited by Journey; 04-01-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: addition

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    additional thought: To live a passionless life is no life at all.
    Neither agony nor ecstacy are requirements for passion.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Neither agony nor ecstacy are requirements for passion.
    True, but none of us experiences the ultimate of the two (probably) so on a continuum they could be said to be within bounds of passion. Do I know what I'm talking about? I think so, but am not sure...

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

It IS a relative concept, and that's fine.

Think of what agony and ecstasy are to you. Think of what a "large" amount is to you. It's all personalized. This is all about you.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Okay... if its about me... then, no.. definitely not necessary and, by definition, antithetical to rationality/reason.. I deem that dangerous.:

Edit: I certainly wouldn't want anyone making a decision that might affect me, myself included, when in the throws of either... interesting word "throws"... nor functioning on the memory of them.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I want neither agony or ecstasy. Both of them cause you to view reality through a distorted lens. I actually consider ecstasy almost as bad as agony, because it causes you to ignore negative things the way agony can blind you to good things.

I have little of either in my life right now, and prefer being fairly unexcited and comfortable.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian$1.99 View Post
    I want neither agony or ecstasy. Both of them cause you to view reality through a distorted lens. I actually consider ecstasy almost as bad as agony, because it causes you to ignore negative things the way agony can blind you to good things.

I have little of either in my life right now, and prefer being fairly unexcited and comfortable.
    That's exactly the sort of response I expect from you, Athenian.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Is it better to live a life without neither agony or ecstacy? Or should there be equally large amounts of both?

No. It is important to have both in a life. If you don't have sadness or pleasure/joy in a life, wouldn't your life be very boring? If you can only feel pleasure in life, how can you really enjoy it without feeling some kind of pain? Agony and ecstacy come as they go. If you have a large amount of both, you probably wouldn't be able to control your emotions. Wouldn't you end up depressed in the end? I would rather have a normal amount of both. In order to truly enjoy pleasure, you must know what it feels like to be in pain.
    "I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."
    - A. J. Liebling