Thread: Ask a Pagan.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Default Ask a Pagan.

That's right. I've been here for quite some time and while I've never made it a secret that I'm what you could call 'a Pagan', I've always also threaded carefully on going in depth as I wasn't sure it would be appreciated. Now that I've been here for a loooong time, I figure..what's the harm (I'm so going to regret this, aren't I? )

One thing: I may be pagan, but paganism is an umbrella term for a vast amount of very individual and different paths. I have some knowledge of several major ones, but within each branch there are several subbranches. Aside from that, most pagan religions recognize and respect the fact that this is a very individual and personal thing. Ask one witch what witchcraft is and you're likely to get 10 answers alone. Now imagine asking a 100 witches...(and I'm not even talking about a witches view on the druidic practices for example)

With all that in mind...I'm ready. Let's see what you've got
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Banned

Okay, what is the basis/starting point of the Pagan beliefs you hold?

What exactly is the difference between Pagan and Wicca?

Have you ever played Ultima 8: Pagan - Note the game has nothing to do with any Pagan/Wicca religion but thats what I thought of when I saw this thread.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Okay, what is the basis/starting point of the Pagan beliefs you hold?

What exactly is the difference between Pagan and Wicca?

Have you ever played Ultima 8: Pagan - Note the game has nothing to do with any Pagan/Wicca religion but thats what I thought of when I saw this thread.
    1. Pagan religions usually are nature-based religions, and therefore share a great respect for Nature/ our planet and often life itself.

2. Paganism is an umbrella term used to house all the various nature-based religions out there, whereas Wicca is a specific type of religion,housed in the Witchcraft branch of the Paganism Tree. Wicca believes in the threefold law (everything you do comes back to you threefold) and the Wiccan Rede (Harm None, do as Ye will). Their belief system includes the Duality of God (Goddess and God) and the belief that mythological gods are 'aspects' of the Universal God and goddess. Compare this to say, Asatru, which is the revival of the Old Religion in Scandinavia and considered a (Neo-) Pagan Religion. They believe in a Pantheon of Gods (Freya,Odin, Loki, etc), which are all their very seperate entity, as well as the 9 virtues of mankind (Hospitality, Courage, etc). While they respect Nature, they tend to have a much more survival-based view Nature and 'harming yourself/others'.

3. No, I have not.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

What kind of spells do you cast, if any?

How often?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    What kind of spells do you cast, if any?

How often?
    Experience has taught me that spells work like much of the rest of life. It's not infallible, nor is it supernatural. I usually cast spells when I need it and I have energy to spare for it. I can go months without casting, but when I have something important in the works, and I've actually *done* the legwork or am doing the legwork, I sometimes use a little boost to help guide things in the right direction.

What kind? That's a very open question. Purely technically speaking, I tend to be a fan of candle magic, which consists of infusing a candle with the energy required for the spell, and then naturally releasing it through burning the candle.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Is it true that the role of the Horned God is secondary to the Goddess in Wiccandom?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Is there a specific God to which you direct your prays?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Is it true that the role of the Horned God is secondary to the Goddess in Wiccandom?
    In theory, the Goddess and the God should be equal in power. And for many Wiccan traditions, they are. But, due to the fact that many people find Wicca after desillusionment or out of rebellion against Christianity, often the Goddess gets more attention. It's kinda like swinging the pendulum the other way. Some consider it only fair after having given 'the God' more than his fair share of attention in the last millenium, others warn against offsetting that balance. The Horned God is but one aspect of the God, btw, often used in celtic wiccan traditions. Dianic traditions and others like it are renowned for completely ignoring the God and focusing solely on the Goddess. Dianic traditions are said to be 'woman-friendly' even more so than other wiccan traditions. From what I hear, the reality is that it's often people who are angry at the patriarchic values in our society who find shelter there (often self-proclaimed feminists and lesbians).

* note: I am not wiccan.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Is there a specific God to which you direct your prays?
    No, there is not
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Thanks Is there a divide at all in the magical community between Pagans and strictly practical magic users?