Thread: Ask a Pagan.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Yeah, I consider most forms of 'Satanism' or demonology to be Abrahamic in conception and perspective, which is why I worded my previous post the way I did. From casual observation it seems that some of them incorporate some form of ancient Egyptian or Middle-eastern mythos into their beliefs, which might be a gray area as far as classification is concerned.

Definately not a satanist, btw; as an agnostic whose favorite kind of spiritual belief is Deism, I tend to stay away from unfathomable spiritual entities just in case they actually exist. I just enjoy mythology, whether its from actual religions, bastardizations from the same (much of DnD), or just made up (fantasy in general).
    Mythology and Fantasy are both fascinating in their own right, and before I was anywhere near a pagan (or at least consciously one), I was a big fan of history books, mythology books and fantasy books, so I know what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Which Pagan Path Do You Follow?
    Wiccan

Thelema

Orisha

Shaman

Druid

Only the first two had any visible scoring to the left of them.
    I have no knowledge about Thelema or Orisha ( I believe it's someting to do with voodoo but could be wrong), but I did start with Wicca myself. The books Coriolis suggested are classics, especially scott cunningham. I started myself with him. I'd also very much recommend 'A Witch Alone' by Marian Green. Maybe I'm biased towards this book, but in my opinion it is perfect for a beginning solitary witch/wiccan, especially one with a strong love for nature in particular (less so for those who are more into the mystical/almost alchemist vibe type stuff). There's less stress on the actual gods/rituals parts, and moreso on the actual lifestyle and the observing of the seasons (which is imo the essence of all pagan religions, including wicca). Cunningham in itself is good coz he's got a way to explain things in neat little boxes making it very easily digestable and giving you a great oversight of what it all entails. He's a little outdated (the author died in like 92 I believe), but still considered a good source in the community. If you wanna have a flavour of 70's feminism and have a flair for ceremonial magic, go for Starhawk, another great classic, though a less accessible read

Coriolis already pointed you towards some internet stuff, but if you're looking for a pagan community, you can try Pagan Space. It's overwhelmingly big at first, but there's a vast amount of info on there, as well as pagans from all sorts of paths, including, as on all forums, the trolls, the immature ones, the confused seekers and the veteran seekers. It should show you that pagans are, well..just people, like the rest of y'all
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    We hardly know anything about the historical Celtic druids because they didn't keep written manuscripts. They tend to be stereotyped as making blood sacrifices and being involved with Stonehenge, when in reality they probably just executed assholes on wicker men. RPG druids have no connection.
    Correct, which makes the Celtic path for me harder to study than say the Germanic/Norse path.

Coriolis, we should exchange info
    I have studied mainly the Norse side and haven't gotten around to doing much studying on the Celtic side yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    So Miss Faye.. do you ever get a little weirded out by some people out in the pagan community? Are there sometimes that you feel like you have to roll your eyes?
    Ohhhh yeah.

But the thing is..I try to keep an open mind. Many of these people are still finding their way. Some are there to avoid their own issues. Which is understandable yet regrettably delusional. And some actually experience shit I've never experienced. It's hard to differentiate at times. For instance, I know a fellow witch who swears she can see ghosts/spirits as clearly as she sees you and me. Me, I've never seen a ghost. But. I've felt energy. That's my thing. I *know* what it's like to be looked at that way myself, as when I was younger and less careful about who I told what (also coz the pain of all those feelings was daily killing me), I said that I could literally feel what other people felt. People...don't like that idea. And roll their eyes at that easily (as they do at you telling them that you're a pagan btw). Empathy, as it's known in the community (here known as an F and often especially NF skill, mixed with some sx-dom enneagram shit possibly), is considered a gift/curse over there, just as being a medium is.

Now, who am I to tell her that what she sees is a bucketload of crap, when I *know* myself what it's like to experience something that others cannot relate to? For that matter, before I knew what 'synesthesia' was and could explain it to people, people looked at me like I came from Venus or whatever other planet, coz I swore 2 was mintgreen. And that I saw a rainbow of colours or a thunderstorm of dark colours depending on the mood someone was in. It's kinda.. I know what it's like to be on both sides. I have trouble believing my friend as I believe she believes herself but is also convincing herself of it being true. That's the vibe I get. However, the irony is that I'm picking up this vibe with the very thing (empathy), that others look weirdly at me for So who's to say?

And then there's the added bonus of me 'feeling' energy when there's nobody there, and she's around. Now the question becomes...do I pick that up coz she wants it to be there, and it's really her energy I'm reading? Or is there actually somethign there and is she telling the truth? I don't know.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP

What does the blood of an infant taste like?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Can't tell you for certain, but I'm wagering there isn't much difference with the blood of a grown-up. Now, the meat might be more tender
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    It tastes like disappointment.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The only blood I can comment on is my own.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Vala Faye View Post
    Experience has taught me that spells work like much of the rest of life. It's not infallible, nor is it supernatural. I usually cast spells when I need it and I have energy to spare for it. I can go months without casting, but when I have something important in the works, and I've actually *done* the legwork or am doing the legwork, I sometimes use a little boost to help guide things in the right direction.

What kind? That's a very open question. Purely technically speaking, I tend to be a fan of candle magic, which consists of infusing a candle with the energy required for the spell, and then naturally releasing it through burning the candle.
    First thing that came to mind, "What's the point of a spell, if it's not supernatural?" What is the spell then? Scientifically provable? Where does the energy/force/whatever come from that leads to the spell being answered?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    First thing that came to mind, "What's the point of a spell, if it's not supernatural?" What is the spell then? Scientifically provable? Where does the energy/force/whatever come from that leads to the spell being answered?
    From all around us

As I stated before, all living things hold 'energy', including us. Do you know the theory where everything in Nature is linked with one another? An ecological web, as it were? Where if you remove pillars (animals or plants) in that web, the net weakens and the entire system collapses (like, removing the bees kills the plants, which leaves us with no food etc). Similarly, many pagans believe there's an web of energy around the world. The world is connected with each other. And if you gently tug at that web at one side, in the correct way, you can influence changes all the way on the other side of the web. This is what a spell supposedly does.

Another explanation is that we use our mind to boost our own willpower to get something done..kinda like the placebo effect, or the positive thinking trick.

Considering that we don't even come close to knowing what the human mind is capable of, and science is still at its infancy there, I'd wager the answer is somewhere in the middle. I think our mind is capable of a lot more than we can measure at this particular time, including influencing that web.

I know, from experience, that I'm sensitive to energy around me. I can pick up on it, if I focus. It's similar to picking up other people's emotions (which is part of their energy). It's for that matter even more similar to the sx function of the enneagram, where you're 'attracted' to something coz it vibes a certain way. It's only a small step at that point to use that energy to either manipulate your own energy field to make the change you want, or even manipulate that energy itself (calming down an angry person for instance) to change into something else.

Spells work the same for me. Just becoz it's natural, doesn't mean it's any less fascinating or marvelous, or for that matter, useful
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post

Is there an ultimate spiritual goal being pursued, say spiritual perfection of the soul or whatnot?
    Depends on which pagan tradition you follow
    But I'd say in general, most paths praise the pursuit of gaining knowledge and wisdom.

How do you feel about reiki? Other forms of spiritual healing?
    I'm not really an expert on these things, but I sometimes do massages myself, though I've not received any training in it, yet. And I consider that a way of 'spiritual' as well as physical healing. From what I understand, Reiki is a realignment of the persons energy, and perhaps a certain amount of transfer of energy. In theory, it should work much like empathy does and the way spells do, but I've never had a chance to really try it out yet, so I cannot really comment.

How cool are your auras?
    Cool as in..cool colours? Or cool as in 'awesome'? Or?

How do you feel about men practicing paganism?
    Err..fine? It's paganism, why wouldn't men practise it?

Its been addressed already, but its something I've never really understood: what is the point of 'casting spells' again? Or what would be common examples? would saving a parking space be an example? Does one feel that requesting/asserting/whatever such things is somehow violating/overruling/suppressing the desires of others/nature?
    Casting spells is done for the same reasons you actually work towards any goal in the physical world: to manipulate your environment in your favor. Common examples are healing spells, prosperity spells, and those that are either really wise and skilled or really ignorant: love spells.

Saving a parking space could be done, I guess, but I'd say that's more of a 'luck' spell. 'Magic' tends to work the way rivers do: they choose the path of least resistance. The money for that bill you don't know how to pay at the end of the month, suddenly gets found on the floor somewhere, or suddenly you get to do overtime, or the money of a long forgotten project comes in. The bigger the amount you need, the harder it is to 'luck' into it and the more power your spell needs, ime. I'd wager the same is true for the parking space. In fact, the same is true for anything. Things that are bigger, tend to require more 'effort' in the real world as well to obtain it. Relying on magic solely to get shit done though...really not the most efficient way to go about things. It's like a little nudge but you're best off doing the legwork as much as you can in the real world, as the spell itself will most likely cost you more energy to cast and be successful, than it would cost you to 'prep' properly.

Have you ever controlled of influenced the weather?
    I'm not a weather witch, no. I haven't had a real need to control the weather, like..ever, really. I tend to stick to influencing myself, as it's easier and less likely to harm others. For that matter, I'm a strong believer of adapting to your environment, instead of adapting your environment to your inflexibility.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Vala Faye View Post
    From all around us

As I stated before, all living things hold 'energy', including us. Do you know the theory where everything in Nature is linked with one another? An ecological web, as it were? Where if you remove pillars (animals or plants) in that web, the net weakens and the entire system collapses (like, removing the bees kills the plants, which leaves us with no food etc). Similarly, many pagans believe there's an web of energy around the world. The world is connected with each other. And if you gently tug at that web at one side, in the correct way, you can influence changes all the way on the other side of the web. This is what a spell supposedly does.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The Pagan community is diverse and unstructured. The upside is that there is little hierarchy, and no one to insist you do anything. If a particular group or ritual or method is not working for you, you are free to find another, or to start your own, or to work alone. The downside is there isn't the same support one gets in a mainstream church/temple. There is much less vetting of clergy/teachers, and seekers must be wary of those with ill motives, or inadequate background. The lack of structure can lead to an "easy-come, easy-go" mentality, in which people just leave a group when the smallest conflict or difficulty arises, rather than work on maintaining the relationship for the greater benefit, and learn from the experience.

To sum up, the responsibility for spiritual development rests squarely on you. No minister will give you easy answers; no priest will represent you to God. You may have to design your own services, write your own prayers, choose your own holidays, teach your own children. You will find teachers, guides, and fellow travellers who will help you on your path, as you help them, but you must walk the path yourself. For those of us committed to Pagan faiths, that is just as it should be.

Someone mentioned Paganism, especially Wicca, attracts all sorts of people who aren't serious about spirituality and just think it's "cool" to be Pagan, or even who turn to it as a form of rebellion. It does not take long to run across these folks. Many established groups are deliberately cagy and almost off-putting, expressly to deter them. Those truly interested in spiritual development, even if as a reaction to bad experiences in mainstream faiths, are not deterred. They are the ones who keep coming back, while the rest quickly get bored and leave when they realize they won't learn to turn their boss into a toad, or make that cute girl fall in love with them.

Vala's comments in post 61 regarding empathy crystallized some of my impressions of my own involvement. Empathy and personal sensitivity are not strong suits of INTJs. My reactions were thus mixed when I first became involved in Pagan activities. I felt like a fish out of water, surrounded by lots of emotive touchy-feelyness, while at the same time, I connected with the underlying perspective of the divine, the universe, our place in it, and what to do about it. I am not sure my real empathy has improved, but I have become much more tolerant, or at least much more sensitive about suspending judgment and holding my tongue when something strikes me as flaky or incredible. I know I lack the information to make a reasoned judgment about someone else's experiences, and I also know I might learn something by remaining open to their perspective, even if I do not agree in the end.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...