• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ask a Pagan.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Coriolis..I had no idea :)

It's grand to hear the perspective of another pagan in this, and I do agree with all you stated. You know, I've always wondered about gatherings, but in Belgium, the few ones I tried were more like festivals with like little shops and I found mostly 'crazy wiccans' as described by Leger earlier on. One of the reasons I started this thread is coz I'm finally somewhat comfortable with my path and well..it gets lonely. As fun and indvidual and personal as it is.. and as much as I'm geared towards the solitary thing, it does get lonely. And along the way, along those many years, there were many times where I wished I had someone to ask if I wasn't going crazy, if I wasn't wishful thinking, and if I wasn't just 'imagining it'. It takes time to grow into it properly, so yeah, I can see the benefit of gathering with like-minded individuals. I had one fellow witch here, but her practices were very different from mine and she was borderline 'crazy-Wiccan-syndrome'.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Can you talk some about the role/purpose/interactions with spirits? Both spirit guides and not. Have you ever personally asked a spirit to save a parking space for you? [That was the first example of spirits that I was exposed to in regards to paganism btw]

If one were to remove all "psychic development" from the playing field, what would really be left? Just an admiration for nature, or more?

Do you know of any pagans who are NOT into the psychic development side of it all?

Is there an ultimate spiritual goal being pursued, say spiritual perfection of the soul or whatnot?

How do you feel about reiki? Other forms of spiritual healing?

How cool are your auras?

How do you feel about men practicing paganism?

Its been addressed already, but its something I've never really understood: what is the point of 'casting spells' again? Or what would be common examples? would saving a parking space be an example? Does one feel that requesting/asserting/whatever such things is somehow violating/overruling/suppressing the desires of others/nature?

Have you ever controlled of influenced the weather?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can you talk some about the role/purpose/interactions with spirits? Both spirit guides and not. Have you ever personally asked a spirit to save a parking space for you? [That was the first example of spirits that I was exposed to in regards to paganism btw]

If one were to remove all "psychic development" from the playing field, what would really be left? Just an admiration for nature, or more?

Do you know of any pagans who are NOT into the psychic development side of it all?

I asked myself the same question for a long time. Little did I know that there were already spirit guides around me at that time. I did have an inexplicable draw towards that topic of research. The spirits I work with are of an elf-like, god-like and animal guide-like type, mostly. I found that the god-ones are often there to a) challenge you with life lessons to be learned to then b) guide you through them, in order to make you grow as a person. Think areas such as Love, Confidence, Facing Fears, etc. The big life questions really.

The elf-like ones are a mystery to me, for the most part. But for instance, most of you are familiar with the concept of a Brownie, I take it, also known in other cultures as a Nisse or Kabouter or domovojchik. It's a house elf (think dobby-like, harry potter). It tends to get pissy when you let the place become a dump and starts deliberately stealing things in order to give you a hint. I'm not the most organized person in the world, and I swear, I've had it happen where I search the place up and down and even my INTJ cannot find it (and that's saying something), and when I then make a little effort to contact the resident house elf, it suddenly magically pops up in a place that's been searched 5 times, I kid you not. They seem to provide the wisdom of 'the devil's in the details' and 'stop taking life so seriously and take a moment to have some fun' for the most part, as well as the 'plz be kind to nature as it is kind to you and could decide not to be' type wisdom.

I find animal-guides to be typically very much relatable. In the sense that they provide you with a mirror. You recognize parts of their inherent animal personality in your own personality, the good..but also the bad. Sometimes they challenge you to wake up a dormant part of you, to learn something new, sometimes they dare you to finetune one of your more crude sides already. Sometimes they quite literally give you a birds eye perspective on how to use a skillset in a different way.

I've heard of people who stick to just observing the seasons and not practice magic at all..but removing all 'psychic development' as you called is is imo impossible. At least in my own practices. It's part of Nature, and thus part of the very thing you're observing. Denying it would be like turning a blind eye. Sure you can abstain from casting spells alltogether, but that doesn't stop you from picking up on the subtle energies of all living things around you, nor from manipulating them, even without conscious spellcasting. To me, seizing all 'psychic development' would be like carving out a piece of who I am. It would mean stop being an NF, actually, as part of my NF nature is to see and touch the energy within other people. It would also cause me to wilt, as I'd miss that connection terribly.

Permabanned
It's wondering why you're giving me personal summaries when the op asks for questions.

OIc.

What're your thoughts on the link between what you called summaries (I called it Ne highlights in the sense of connections) in regards to the content debated in this thread? Did they seem dismissive/disruptive/judgemental?

Do you have any insight/lack of data or is your own Ne blocked in regards to establishing links between said highlights and your own field, out of protective urge towards something that you feel to be close and important to you?

There, FTFY.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OIc.

What're your thoughts on the link between what you called summaries (I called it Ne highlights in the sense of connections) in regards to the content debated in this thread? Did they seem dismissive/disruptive/judgemental?

Do you have any insight/lack of data or is your own Ne blocked in regards to establishing links between said highlights and your own field, out of protective urge towards something that you feel to be close and important to you?

There, FTFY.

Irrelevant to the OP :)

I'd like to keep this thread rather clean yes, which is why I'm trying to nudge you to move on already. Feel free to make a separate thread for your observations though.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I've always felt certain appeal for paganism and pagan cultures. But mostly for the mythology and atmosphere they provide. Few years ago I heard that I carry a gene that is very specific for vikings, and ever since I've felt very connected with the norse mythology.

Do you relate with norse or celtic mythologies? They both are very nature oriented and close to what I perceive as wiccan.

And how about satanism? At least to me it sounds like very similar set of values.

Also, do you feel need to hide your beliefs from the public, or have you ever been treated ill for being a pagan?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've always felt certain appeal for paganism and pagan cultures. But mostly for the mythology and atmosphere they provide. Few years ago I heard that I carry a gene that is very specific for vikings, and ever since I've felt very connected with the norse mythology.

Do you relate with norse or celtic mythologies? They both are very nature oriented and close to what I perceive as wiccan.

And how about satanism? At least to me it sounds like very similar set of values.

Also, do you feel need to hide your beliefs from the public, or have you ever been treated ill for being a pagan?

I have celtic and germanic roots myself so yes, I do relate to them and use them in my practices. Wicca often uses them as inspiration as well, but the actual religious part of it is very different, though the same principles of respect towards nature apply and most pagan religions also share the seasonal festivals/holidays.

Satanism finds a home in pagan communities as well, yes. I have to admit that my knowledge on satanism is limited at best, but from what I understand, in some cases it's an active rebellion against christianity, though it has a 'grown-up' version as well, where it questions the universe itself and makes sure not to take things too seriously in life and make your own way in life, have that freedom with the ups and downs.

I find that ehm...INTx's tend to be drawn to that path *chuckles*

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any suggested resources for the layperson to learn about paganism or Wicca apart from this thread?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Any suggested resources for the layperson to learn about paganism or Wicca apart from this thread?

Depends on the branch you're interested in :)

How about taking a quiz to see where to start? ;)

http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=paganreligion

Lemme know the 5 first results and which one in particular takes your fancy and I'll see what I can do.

Do you use Ne as an excuse to remain nonsensical and even embellish you nonsense? Lol.

Plz don't. I'd like to keep this thread clear and on topic. Tnx :)

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Satanism finds a home in pagan communities as well, yes. I have to admit that my knowledge on satanism is limited at best, but from what I understand, in some cases it's an active rebellion against christianity, though it has a 'grown-up' version as well, where it questions the universe itself and makes sure not to take things too seriously in life and make your own way in life, have that freedom with the ups and downs.

Yeah, I consider most forms of 'Satanism' or demonology to be Abrahamic in conception and perspective, which is why I worded my previous post the way I did. From casual observation it seems that some of them incorporate some form of ancient Egyptian or Middle-eastern mythos into their beliefs, which might be a gray area as far as classification is concerned.

Definately not a satanist, btw; as an agnostic whose favorite kind of spiritual belief is Deism, I tend to stay away from unfathomable spiritual entities just in case they actually exist. :D I just enjoy mythology, whether its from actual religions, bastardizations from the same (much of DnD), or just made up (fantasy in general).

G

Ginkgo

We hardly know anything about the historical Celtic druids because they didn't keep written manuscripts. They tend to be stereotyped as making blood sacrifices and being involved with Stonehenge, when in reality they probably just executed assholes on wicker men. RPG druids have no connection.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So Miss Faye.. do you ever get a little weirded out by some people out in the pagan community? Are there sometimes that you feel like you have to roll your eyes?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
@ Vala: For the record, you are not going crazy, it is wishful thinking in the best sense, and you are imagining it -- but that's the first step in making it reality.

@ Scott: just what do you mean by "psychic development"? When I think "psychic", I think specifically of divination, something I have a somewhat uncommon perspective on, and don't do that often. My experience with spirits is limited and sketchy. I have encountered them mainly in meditative states, or more rarely in prayer circles. They have usually taken the form of a deity/archetype, or more rarely, some ancestral manifestation. While I have some strong animal identifications, I have not worked with any (yet) as spirit guides. This is something I would like to explore more.

As for a spiritual goal, mine is to live more in harmony with the universe. This includes becoming more attuned with the energies that make it up, which I sometimes relate to in the form of Deity, but not exclusively. I know people who practice spiritual healing and reiki, but have not become involved in this myself. I will not claim to understand the processes, but it does seem to produce results. There are plenty of male Pagans - not sure what causes you to single them out.

About spells: I see spells essentially as intent focused on channeling energy toward a purpose. Since I use spells primarily to affect myself, this basically amounts to marshalling my own energy and attuning it/tying it into the energy "out there" to achieve a specific end. Doing this to save a parking spot would be a waste of effort. I have done spells for things like making an important decision, resolving an interpersonal conflict, quitting a bad habit, finding a new home. I have never even attempted to influence the weather, but sometimes I wonder about traffic lights . . .

For awhile I experienced a strong attraction to Norse mythologies, but upon closer examination that proved rather superficial (my attraction, not the mythologies), and I realized my attraction to Celtic was much deeper. My own background falls more in this area, and the relationship between culture and spirituality has long been of interest to me. I have never been treated ill for being a Pagan, but I do tend to be a very private person in general, and so don't share personal thoughts with many people. If I trust/know someone well enough to discuss personal topics, I will share my beliefs honestly, but without labelling myself.

Sorry, Vala -- no one will ever take me for a "fluffy bunny", but Satan is a Judaeo-Christian construct that has nothing to contribute to my purposes.

I would start with Margot Adler, "Drawing down the moon", and Scott Cunningham, "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner". These are both a bit dated, but a good introduction. Also see Riane Eisler's "The Chalice and the Blade" for a historical context of Pagan/pre-Judaeo-Christian religion. Modern Pagan practice cannot, and indeed is not usually intended to recreate these practices with any accuracy, but many have derived inspiration simply from the knowledge of what the past once held. Online, check out The Witch's Voice, or just search terms that pique your curiosity. The internet is practically made for Pagans.