User Tag List

First 513141516 Last

Thread: Ask a Pagan.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Cool, so you believe in its existence but do not believe it is metaphysical in scope. Neither do I, for the most part...

Quantum physics understanding leaves much to be desired, however =X
    Yeah, actually I find very little to be metaphysical. I bask in the 'all that is created' sense of it. I find it amazing that we're capable of so much.. but I have a very clock-maker sort of idea to things. With a bit of maintenance and sometimes reaching back to the creator for bigger issues, a clock will run itself for ages. I find many of what we do in our daily lives and acts to be 'maintenance'.. Things like the Law of Attraction, and not doing harm to others, seasonal rituals to remind us of how the clock works, helping out your neighbors.. learning about yourself and others, furthering education, I find all of these things essential to keeping the clock working on it's own.

I hardly ever reach down into a ritual and look for more than these points.. To do a ritual outside of *my* own power and means would be to ask the clock creator about a mechanism I may not ever be familiar with.. Just because I ask, it doesn't mean I will understand the answer.. I have only reached out once that I can remember--and it was initially asking if I am going in the right direction.. if this felt like the right thing for me, back when I was finding religion in my heart. The answer at the time I did not understand at all, and only in retrospect did I realize I was answered at all.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    5. I don't make things over elaborate. Fancy words, and lengthy spells, and lots of steps I think takes away from the process, the same way presents and decorations take away from the spirit of Christmas.
    I follow what you mean, and I agree.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

I don't know if you know, but I'm going to ask you anyway because 'you're a pagan'

This has always fascinated me, but, is Paganism the thing that Britons did before Christianity came to these ilses? Were we a bunch of Pagans in the UK before the Bible came? 'Getting back to my roots'

Pagan/Wicca, what's the difference?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat View Post
    I don't know if you know, but I'm going to ask you anyway because 'you're a pagan'

This has always fascinated me, but, is Paganism the thing that Britons did before Christianity came to these ilses? Were we a bunch of Pagans in the UK before the Bible came? 'Getting back to my roots'

Paganism is an umbrella term for nature religions, often practised before christianity yes. Wicca is a specific 'leaf' on the witchcraft branch of the paganism tree, and was founded in the 1950's by Gerald Gardner, who based it on Traditional Brititsh witchcraft (and its celtic roots), I believe, and a mix of eastern philosophies.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

I've been to Witchfest, I went to Witchfest 2010.

It's this global witchy thing that meets in town once a year in November, anyone here ever heard of it?

Thank you^ for that answer.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Yes, it can be said that they were Pagans before Christianity spread to the Isles.

Paganism is more of an umbrella term. To make an analogy to Christianity..

Christianity has different branches.. a Lutheran is Christian, but a Christian is not necessarily Lutheran.

Similarly, Pagans have several branches and theologies. A Wiccan is a Pagan, but not all Pagans are Wiccan. Wicca is probably the broadest, and most structured of all forms of Paganism.. but Druidism, some Eastern influences, and hybrids of various sources of more ancient religions also fall under the Pagan umbrella. 'Pagan' I think was really coined by Christianity to describe.. well.. pretty much anyone who wasn't Christian. Now-a-days, we use it to describe a more specific set of religions such as Wicca, to differentiate it from Buddhism and Islam, etc. Most people find 'Pagan' and 'Wiccan' to be interchangeable, which isn't quite right but it is better than the previous sentiments of Pagans being devil worshipers.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

The pagans were the Ancient Greeks who gave us the fourth pillar of Western Civilization, namely, Ancient Greek philosophy, not to mention democracy and rational science.

The last pagan was the librarian and scientist, Hypatia (335-405 AD), who was tortured and murdered and humiliated in death by the irrational Christians, who went on to burn the great pagan library of Alexandria.

The Wicca have no connection with paganism. The Wicca are just another irrational religion.

The Wicca are part of the fatuous New Age which also includes astrology, mbti and homeopathy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Yes, it can be said that they were Pagans before Christianity spread to the Isles.

Paganism is more of an umbrella term. To make an analogy to Christianity..

Christianity has different branches.. a Lutheran is Christian, but a Christian is not necessarily Lutheran.

Similarly, Pagans have several branches and theologies. A Wiccan is a Pagan, but not all Pagans are Wiccan. Wicca is probably the broadest, and most structured of all forms of Paganism.. but Druidism, some Eastern influences, and hybrids of various sources of more ancient religions also fall under the Pagan umbrella. 'Pagan' I think was really coined by Christianity to describe.. well.. pretty much anyone who wasn't Christian. Now-a-days, we use it to describe a more specific set of religions such as Wicca, to differentiate it from Buddhism and Islam, etc. Most people find 'Pagan' and 'Wiccan' to be interchangeable, which isn't quite right but it is better than the previous sentiments of Pagans being devil worshipers.
    In most places to which Christianity spread, the original religion can be described as Pagan. The term "Pagan" originally referred to country folk, who retained their original faith long after those in the more cosmopolitan cities had learned about Christianity and converted. Eventually it came to mean any adherent of the old faith.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ

Just to throw a hookshot out there:

What do you think of chaos magic?

Dangerous? Unethical? Creative? Cutting edge? What?

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    In most places to which Christianity spread, the original religion can be described as Pagan. The term "Pagan" originally referred to country folk, who retained their original faith long after those in the more cosmopolitan cities had learned about Christianity and converted. Eventually it came to mean any adherent of the old faith.
    Christians made jealous and vicious propaganda against pagans. And yet at the very same time, the Christians wrote their Bible in the language of the pagans. Yes, the original Bible was written in pagan Ancient Greek.

Yes, the Christians successfully suppressed pagan Ancient Greek culture right up to the time of the Renaissance. But with the original Bible written in the pagan Ancient Greek language, the ability to read Ancient Greek was retained, leading to the efflorescence of the Renaissance, and leading to the rebirth of pagan Ancient Greek philosophy, democracy and rational science.

And the Renaissance of pagan Ancient Greek culture led onto the Enlightenment. And the Enlightenment gave us modern medicine, liberal democracy, modern economics, science and technology, the abolition of State torture, the abolition of institutional slavery, the emancipation of women and the prosecution of child sexual abuse.