User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

Thread: Ask a Pagan.

WALMART

Do you believe in the Law of Attraction?

-if so-

Do you believe it is metaphysical in basis, or can it be substantiated via measurement? Or something completely different?

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post

-if so-

Do you believe it is metaphysical in basis, or can it be substantiated via measurement? Or something completely different?
    I believe in LOA hardcore.

metaphysical...is that like a philisophical stance you mean...Because I believe it's proven by science. Therefore not only a philosophy anymore a truth. But I'm not sure what you're asking lol so i don't know if i'm answering correctly.

I believe in this so much to the point that if everyone would follow the law, everyone would take responsibility for themselves for EVERYTHING that they attracted. Most people attract things and are not concious of what they're attracting. ie attracting the people in their lives and such. Stop complaining about those people...they're in your life for a reason...you attracted them there
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    INFJ

@Scott N Denver

Wujin Chang, a nun, asked the Sixth Zen patriarch, Hui Neng, for help in understanding the Mahanirvana Sutra. The master answered that he could not read, but if the nun would read it aloud for him, he would do his best to help her.

The nun then asked, "If you can't even read the words, how can you understand the truth behind them?"

"Truth and words are unrelated. Truth can be compared to the moon," answered Hui Neng, pointing to the moon with his finger, "And words can be compared to a finger. I can use my finger to point out the moon, but my finger is not the moon, and you don't need my finger in order to be able to see the moon".

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    ...normally the animal would look down then, to show its submission, no? I work mostly with cats, and they don't really do submission, so staring at them tends to be considered hostile. Blinking however helps to break up the stare, allowing them to relax.

And yeah. Animals have a *definite* presence and a very vibrant aura
    I can relate to that, having tamed feral cats before.

How can I tame a cat that doesn't want to be tamed? A lot of people go about it the wrong way. It's not really doing something to the cat as it is letting the cat be itself and being a good thing for the cat (giver of food who respects the cat - cats know it)

I give the cat her privacy. I make a den that is just hers and do not approach it when she is inside. I bring food bit by bit through the day, and sing or whistle or talk to the cat as I approach so that she always knows I'm coming - it also becomes a 'food noise'. Slowly day by day I can get the cat to eat food closer to me, then eventually out of my hand. Then eventually she will let me touch her carefully, eventually pick her up, and so forth.

I do not stare at the cat. I don't try to grab or touch the cat until she is ready to accept that. I don't sneak up on the cat, or stand over her. I don't invade her space or let anyone else do so until she is willing to share it.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post

-if so-

I believe the easiest way to measure it is placebo effects during testing.. It is a difficult thing to measure though, for certain.

I find it hard to be spiritual and not have this as groundwork for one's self. The idea of "however you think is what you will attract to yourself".. it is something I measure at all times. To see if I am on the right track, or if I am being too whiny lately, etc. If you have low self-esteem, people who take advantage of that will come into your life.

What I think people mistake this for is some sort of absolute divine intervention. This Law is a law among men, not supernatural in nature. It is a piece of common sense when dealing with one another. So when someone says, "Im going to think positively and get this job!" And they don't get it.. they blame the Law. It doesn't work that way--like it is some power to wield have the world around you yield to whenever you please. You don't think happy thoughts and then win the lottery. It isn't a Wizard of Oz trick. People try to apply it at will, then promptly blame it afterwards and go back to their sour ways.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    After all these years though..as lonely as it is, I've come to realize that my answers are within myself, and not out there
    I believe that is true for everyone, regardless of path. Some religions just make it harder for followers to figure that out, and then make them feel guilty or irresponsible or even sinful when they do. As the Charge of the Goddess states:

To thou who thinkest to seek Me, know that thy seeking and
    yearning shall avail thee not unless thou knowest the Mystery.
    If that which thou seekest thou findest not within thee,
    thou wilt never find it without.
    As for Scott's questions, I agree substantially with Kyuuei. I would add:

1. Pagan practice generally receives far less publicity that Christian practice, partly because there are relatively so few pagans, and we are not associated with large, visible organizations. Our practice is also inherently more personal and less public, perhaps just an outgrowth of necessity, to avoid misunderstanding and harrassment.

2. The Wiccan Rede is an ideal that no one can live up to. It is impossible to go through life never doing harm. For one, we cannot always predict the harm that may result from our actions, including inaction. The rede thus serves mainly to focus our attention on our actions so we do consider them very carefully, and do our best at least to minimize any resulting harm. This is a bit like the habit of some Native American groups who consider the consequences through to the 7th generation.

The other half of the Rede is just as important, though: "do as ye will". In doing our best to consider the impact on others, we must still understand and follow our own Will - capital W to distinguish our heart's desire, our dreams, in contrast to the whims of the moment. If we have no dreams, no guiding goals or principles, we will forever be pulled hither and yon by the demands of others. This comes right back to the realization that when we say "harm none", we must include ourselves.

3. We do spells to effect change in the world, but the most ethical and often the most effective way to accomplish that is to effect change in ourselves. I may want more money, or a better job, or for my friend not to marry his bimbo golddigger girlfriend, but any spell I do in that regard will focus squarely on helping me get what I need from the universe to address the issue. I may get an inspiration on how to earn more money, or spend less; or gain the confidence I need to do well in a job interview; or understand how to advise my friend with objectivity and compassion. Just the focus of spellwork can help one become more aware of and open to opportunities that present themselves.

4. The idea of getting someone's permission to do a spell involving them, even for their benefit, generates quite some discussion, especially among those new to pagan circles. People wonder, how could it be wrong to do a spell to help someone recover from serious illness, or get a job after months unemployed? This is a hard one, especially for those who are used to Christians praying for everyone and his brother at the drop of a hat. The principle here is that we cannot know what the best outcome for someone is. Yes, it is a hardship to be sick or out of work, but is the person going to learn something or somehow gain from the experience? When I want to include a friend in need and haven't asked first, I make the working very generic, simply asking the universe to send them what they need to address their current situation - essentially sending them some positive energy.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I believe the easiest way to measure it is placebo effects during testing.. It is a difficult thing to measure though, for certain.

I find it hard to be spiritual and not have this as groundwork for one's self. The idea of "however you think is what you will attract to yourself".. it is something I measure at all times. To see if I am on the right track, or if I am being too whiny lately, etc. If you have low self-esteem, people who take advantage of that will come into your life.

What I think people mistake this for is some sort of absolute divine intervention. This Law is a law among men, not supernatural in nature. It is a piece of common sense when dealing with one another. So when someone says, "Im going to think positively and get this job!" And they don't get it.. they blame the Law. It doesn't work that way--like it is some power to wield have the world around you yield to whenever you please. You don't think happy thoughts and then win the lottery. It isn't a Wizard of Oz trick. People try to apply it at will, then promptly blame it afterwards and go back to their sour ways.
    This is why I say positive thinking is different from positive energy.

Some times what you want is not what is in store for you. Positive energy is useful in any direction, come what may. Optimism is ok too, but some times it leads to disappointment if you hold on to it too hard.

There's sensible optimism and then there's the point where you just go "come on. seriously? I think it's reality check time."

Hypatia

The last beautiful pagan was Hypatia (335-405 AD).

Hypatia was the last librarian of the great pagan Library of Alexandria. And Hypatia was a rational scientist, and in particular, an astronomer.

And as a rational astronomer Hypatia would regard astrologers with contempt.

And Hypatia would regard the fake pagans of today with their astrology and spells as beneath contempt.

No wonder the Christians skinned her alive, dragged her body through the streets, and burnt the greatest library of the ancient world.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And Hypatia would regard the fake pagans of today with their astrology and spells as beneath contempt.
    Yes, fake pagans certainly give the rest of us a bad name, just like fake christians do to their honest and earnest church-mates.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post

Cool, so you believe in its existence but do not believe it is metaphysical in scope. Neither do I, for the most part...

Quantum physics understanding leaves much to be desired, however =X