• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

We take everything for granted.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I do. It reminds me of a bit Louis C.K. does in his stand-up about people who get irritated about air travel. STFU asshole, you are sitting on a chair in the sky, and you aren't amazed by this?

Lark

Well what do you mean?

For instance I know green-meanies who're always putting people on guilt trips for their carbon footprint and the people in question dont have much of a carbon footprint to begin with, recycle and whatever anyway. I dont think that's worthwhile.

I also used to be into severe austerity, did not indulge myself in anyway really but sometimes this ends in setting yourself up for a binge in consumerism or a big spend, even if it doesnt its not a good idea to be as neurotic about things as this. You can get left behind by a trend which results in more things being available to everyone which were once the preserve of a single privileged class and you have the cash but dont indulge. For a while I felt uncomfortable going into Starbucks because my dad but to a certain extent the family associate that sort of cafe with being a middle class reservation.

On the other hand I did see an awesome episode of The Hulk, The TV Series, in which an early version of Thor appeared (the comic was called Might Hammer of Thor back then or something and he was summoned by a mortal who had possession of it after finding it at an archeological dig) and I loved the fact that Thor's character was so old worldish, calling the guy he was at a mighty wizard because he could produce not and cold water from thin air or something like that. So I'm appreciative of things and dont take them for granted.

Although mind you I try hard to be prepared and make ready for challenges or crisis and dont depend on others other than myself anymore than I need to. It bothers me the extent to which others were their dependency on their sleeve, such as the people who complain they'll starve or their children will starve when the local junk food outlets are closed for a couple of days.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="8r1CZTLk-Gk"]Everything is amazing, and nobody's happy.[/YOUTUBE]

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't take for granted even the fact that I exist. :sage:
But I guess most people do that.

G

Ginkgo

Well, I'm only going to talk for myself here.

Currently, I expect a roof over my head by default, but I don't expect food by default. I have to work for it. My current liberties depend upon my conduct. And, it is because my conduct is habitual, that I anticipate those things will follow suite. Times are changing, and soon things will be shaken up, and like a leaf I'll fall, with new liberties that I'll take for granted. Even a homeless person takes for granted the ground under his feet.

I don't think such fundamentals change in any way other than they appear.

Sometimes I wonder, if people are generally discontented, then maybe they're not working hard enough. The simple act of working brings a satisfaction, and the recognition that at least you tried your best.

Mole

Permabanned
The Ancient Greeks knew that ecstasy (ekstasis) is stepping outside the taken for granted.

But the Moderns know that ecstsay (extasi) is a little pink pill.

Last edited:
R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think the fact that we never see things made (Unless watching a documentary) we don't truly respect, or understand it's true value. So yes, to some extent, but I agree with guesswho; people haven't changed that much over the last couple thousand years.

Mole

Permabanned
When we take things for granted, everything is smeared with toil and oil. But when we step outside the taken for granted, we discover the deep down freshness of things.

rav3n

Human beings are a highly adaptable species. The upside is that we can survive in any number of environmental conditions and continue to seek improvements by controlling our environment. The downside is immunisation towards environment, hence why we're constantly seeking improvements.

So as it relates to taking things for granted in the now compared to past generations, I'd say there's not much difference.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Alcohol is the poor man's mysticism.

Depending on the definition of mysticism used, one may argue alcohol (or, providing rose-tinted glasses that one is aware of/in control of to a greater degree which I suppose isn't necessarily drugs) is the thinking man's mysticism (believing unreliable or unproven rose-tinted viewpoints exist).