User Tag List

12311 Last

Anew Leaf

Question Hate or Love: Which is more powerful?

In typical P-fashion, I vaguely searched a few pages of this forum to see if this topic has been done before... seeing nothing, I decided to make my own thread.

So the question I am curious about is whether you personally believe love or hate is the more powerful force in this world. I am interested in your viewpoint whether it comes from life experience, personal philosophy, or religious reasons.

Hopefully it can end up being a fun discussion!

I personally believe love is more powerful than hate. I also think that both are a choice you make until the choice makes you.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Hello swinging rodent. I'd say that love beats hate any day.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

I bet on equality.

Two sides of the same coin. It's a draw.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Love is more about resilience amid vulnerability (because you can't love someone with your armor up), while hatred is more about armoring up and launching a full-frontal assault, might makes right.

So hate is very powerful but also acts like a poison, and people recognize that, the more someone hates.
    Love seems weaker but seems to implant itself in new hearts and minds even if it is trampled underfoot.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I find it difficult to sustain the intensity of emotion that hate requires. It is exhausting. In my life, love has been more powerful and motivating. Hate does not move me to action but if I love someone or something, I will get up and do what needs doing and more.

On a world scale, I would have to say love of self often equals hate of others. Us vs them. Greed is exaggerated self-love as is extreme patroitism. This is seen in capitalistic societies as much or more so than other societies. So, is self-centeredness/love stronger than hatred of others? It appears to be so tangled that that it can't be separated. I do not believe love for others and the greater good is a more powerful force than these.

My view comes from experience, personal philosophy and religious reasons. LOL
    "It's never enough." The Cure

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Love is more about resilience amid vulnerability (because you can't love someone with your armor up), while hatred is more about armoring up and launching a full-frontal assault, might makes right.

So hate is very powerful but also acts like a poison, and people recognize that, the more someone hates.
    Love seems weaker but seems to implant itself in new hearts and minds even if it is trampled underfoot.
    I think this is right on. Hate feels stronger but it eats you up. Love moves in the other direction, it expands, building. It's hard because anger is such a powerful motivator. I'd be interested in thoughts on hate, love as motivators.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

In extreme cases hate, overall love.
    Love can be a powerful force in both good and bad ways, and I think it has much more influence in the world than hate. OTOH, while we see people killing one or two for reasons involving ''love'', people consumed by hate are prone to mass killing. And I reason that while love has some concrete advantages, hate is all ego.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by NotOfTwo View Post
    I find it difficult to sustain the intensity of emotion that hate requires. It is exhausting. In my life, love has been more powerful and motivating. Hate does not move me to action but if I love someone or something, I will get up and do what needs doing and more.

On a world scale, I would have to say love of self often equals hate of others. Us vs them. Greed is exaggerated self-love as is extreme patroitism. This is seen in capitalistic societies as much or more so than other societies. So, is self-centeredness/love stronger than hatred of others? It appears to be so tangled that that it can't be separated. I do not believe love for others and the greater good is a more powerful force than these.

My view comes from experience, personal philosophy and religious reasons. LOL
    You are win my Owly friend.

They can be very tangled in together, which is why I think it can all be such a slippery slope.

I had a grandmother who was an extremely bitter woman. She didn't have a particularly hard life but she acted as if she had had the worst life on the face of the earth. At the age of 91 she was still upset/bitter/angry over some events that occurred in 1957. She enjoyed sowing the seeds of discord in her children, and because of that I won't ever see one Aunt and my Uncle ever again. My mom ended up hating her mom, and maybe since I was removed from the situation... I just felt pity for my grandmother. And a bit of fear because I do not want to end up like that. I just think how sad it is that each day she made a choice to be bitter until one day it was no longer a choice, she was just simply bitter.

So in myself I find each day the choice to act loving towards others and the choice to act negatively towards others. Haha, I hope that it gets easier because some days it is incredibly easy for me to love everyone... other days it is a giant struggle to not be angry with someone over a slight. Hopefully the act of me trying will be enough in the end.

Both can move mountains. It's the process and motivation that will define which is greater.