User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Do you mean love as sexual passion, or love as love? Because I'll agree with you if you say that bad behaviors have been linked to sexual passion, though I don't agree about love in general as a feeling of goodwill toward one's family, friends, neighborhood, humankind, and/or pets.
    As in, I will kill these three people for their money, in order to feed my family?

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Imagine feeling hatred. Why do you feel hatred towards xyz? If the belief is that hatred is "bad", what happens within you to offset? Do you feel guilty? Do you repress it? How do you react? And when you react with guilt or repression, does this cause dissonance within you? What does it do to your Freudian ego or self?
    Hatred for me is very unusual. It takes A LOT for me to actually hate someone. It is usually an emotion I feel for a brief time and then it burns itself up and I am done. If I am not angry with someone then it is extremely difficult for me to continue hating them. Without any emotional undercurrents I can't sustain the hate.

The Whys vary in specifics, but usually break down into:- I have been hurt by someone (betrayal, attack)
    - A breach of my little core values

what happens within you to offset?
    - On rare occasions I am feeling this emotion without necessarily having the logic to back it up. Heat of the moment, I am angry, I hate you right this minute, kind of a thing.
    - On other occasions it is a series of events that have lead me to this emotion. I don't want to be an angry/hateful person so I actively work on getting rid of this emotion. That process can be varied from just experiencing the emotion and letting it ride, to trying to work on a peace between me and the other person, or just making the choice to no longer be angry/hateful about the event.

Do you feel guilty?
    - Sometimes I do. If I feel I don't have enough internal "back-up" to feel this strong of an emotion.

Do you repress it?
    - I have in the past repressed these feelings. I finally learned that while I may not like anger and hatred, I definitely don't like what happens when I repress these emotions. I still will work on maintaining my self control, however.

And when you react with guilt or repression, does this cause dissonance within you?
    - Yes, actually it can. I have learned that even if the emotions are negative... that doesn't mean I don't have the right to feel them for a time. Feeling guilty or repressing the emotions just causes them to fester and build unncessarily which will foster what I don't want to do; which is to hold onto the hate and anger.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

As in, I will kill these three people for their money, in order to feed my family?
    I think that's an animal survival instinct. People do things they perhaps would not otherwise choose to do when they and their genetic offspring are in danger of death.

MBTI
    ENTP

Where is the love?

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I think that's an animal survival instinct. People do things they perhaps would not otherwise choose to do when they and their genetic offspring are in danger of death.
    And such is all emotion. It is neurobiological in nature.

Love, hate, guilt, remorse, happiness, sadness, anger, none of it is good or bad. It's being human.

Anew Leaf

Love, hate, guilt, remorse, happiness, sadness, anger, none of it is good or bad. It's being human.
    And we have come to the center of the shrubbery maze.

Good times. I am enjoying myself hugely.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    <snip>
    I've snipped your responses just to shorten my post. Now apply your responses to ego or self. IF you viewed anger and hatred in a neutral fashion, how would it impact on your perception of self?

*monotone flight attendant voice over the PA system*

I hope you've enjoyed your flight here on Semantics Airways. Our in flight movie this evening will be Father of the Bride starring Steve Martin, and our in flight meal will be steamed clams, broccoli, all topped off with an elegant parcley garnish.

Oh fine! Brag about it! My brain tooth hurts!

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    *monotone flight attendant voice*

I hope you've enjoyed your flight here on Semantics Airways. Our in flight movie this evening will be Father of the Bride starring Steve Martin, and our in flight meal will be steamed clams, broccoli, all topped off with an elegant parcley garnish.
    Hush! It's not semantics. And this from a Ti-Ne-er?

*huffs away*