User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 130

  1. #61
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    I question perception of emotions in general, particularly the stronger ones.
    Are you saying: what is the process that someone takes when they declare if they love or hate something/one?

    Are we viewing emotions in a less evolved manner when we tag good/bad, right and wrong to them, especially when considering how all emotions are natural components of being human?
    Are you saying: We should try and stand back more instead of being quick to jump in and procure a judgement or emotion on something just because we feel it?

  2. #62
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    marm, you're completely missing my points. Reread my post again without bias.
    Well if you're saying that we should accept all emotions without bias then that is actually something that is frequently suggested by psychologists and counselors, that there's no such thing as a "wrong" feeling, that it's important to acknowledge and accept all of your feelings, but it is the acting upon those feelings that makes the difference.

    Like dwelling on negative emotion - going beyond mere acceptance - can make us sick. And acting out in anger by hitting your children is wrong, although the anger itself should be acknowledged and dealt with, so I agree with you if that's what you're saying.

  3. #63
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Are you saying: what is the process that someone takes when they declare if they love or hate something/one?
    It is process, application and one more thing I didn't put in that post but in another, and that's motivation.

    What prompts us to feel this emotion? How will you apply the results of this emotion or not? If you apply the results, why?

    The answers to these questions will be answers to ourselves.

    Are you saying: We should try and stand back more instead of being quick to jump in and procure a judgement or emotion on something just because we feel it?
    Imagine feeling hatred. Why do you feel hatred towards xyz? If the belief is that hatred is "bad", what happens within you to offset? Do you feel guilty? Do you repress it? How do you react? And when you react with guilt or repression, does this cause dissonance within you? What does it do to your Freudian ego or self?

  4. #64
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Well if you're saying that we should accept all emotions without bias then that is actually something that is frequently suggested by psychologists and counselors, that there's no such thing as a "wrong" feeling, that it's important to acknowledge and accept all of your feelings, but it is the acting upon those feelings that makes the difference.

    Like dwelling on negative emotion - going beyond mere acceptance - can make us sick. And acting out in anger by hitting your children is wrong, although the anger itself should be acknowledged and dealt with, so I agree with you if that's what you're saying.
    Take it one step further. Why are emotions viewed in a negative or positive way, as well as why do you feel this way?

  5. #65
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    It is process, application and one more thing I didn't put in that post but in another, and that's motivation.

    What prompts us to feel this emotion? How will you apply the results of this emotion or not? If you apply the results, why?

    The answers to these questions will be answers to ourselves.

    Imagine feeling hatred. Why do you feel hatred towards xyz? If the belief is that hatred is "bad", what happens within you to offset? Do you feel guilty? Do you repress it? How do you react? And when you react with guilt or repression, does this cause dissonance within you? What does it do to your Freudian ego or self?
    Interesting the way you are able to break this down. It is very difficult for me to do this, although once I see it spoken in plain English I can recognize it for what it is.

    I don't know if you actually want me to answer this so I will hold off rather than jump in.

  6. #66
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Interesting the way you are able to break this down. It is very difficult for me to do this, although once I see it spoken in plain English I can recognize it for what it is.

    I don't know if you actually want me to answer this so I will hold off rather than jump in.
    Frankly, it's not easy for me to express any of this. Like pulling teeth as an emotional limp-along!

    It's up to you whether you want to answer or not. If it will be cathartic or you feel its of benefit to others, do so. If it makes you feel vulnerable, it's probably not a good idea.

  7. #67
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Take it one step further. Why are emotions viewed in a negative or positive way, as well as why do you feel this way?
    Because of the consequences of those feelings that hurt ourselves and other people. Like repressed anger has been linked to cancer. Anger often inspires people to violence or other forms of abuse, while on the other hand anger can also tell us "something is wrong, get away from this person, protect yourself."

    Same with depression. Depression often takes away the will to live and interrupts productivity and enjoyment of life...but again, can signal to us that we need to change something in our lives to feel happier and become more productive.

    All emotions are useful, including painful emotions, or those which frequently are linked to destructive behavior. Anger can help motivate us, sadness can point us in a direction that is better for us. I embrace all feelings as part of being human.

    I, of all people, am all about embracing every single emotion, and I don't like emotional repression or people who say expressing "negative" feelings at all is impolite or wrong in some way.

    So we're very much in agreement on that.

    But we label those feelings as negative because of the behaviors and consequences which often follow those feelings in people who don't stop to consider other things.

    Like, "I cut my ex-wives brakes because I hate her because she hurt me and she made me so mad. Ooops! I didn't mean to accidentally kill my three children, too."

    That's why they're labelled as "negative" emotions - because they cause us to feel pain and are linked to abhorrent behavior.

    As I say, though, with the proper perspective, anger and sadness can motivate us to make positive changes in our lives.

    It's a matter of self-awareness, education, and maturity, usually.

  8. #68
    Senior Member SRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    It's not for me to say what the "why" is for you. If anything, I'm questioning perception and the social construct of love/hate. So I'm curious to hear everyone else's thoughts.
    Hmm, well I was responding from a more individual-focused stance as opposed to a community-oriented perspective. I can't say for certain that growing up in a culture that associated hate=good, love=bad that I would still think the same, but in that alternate universe I would be something other than me, anyway. I accept that all of my values come (at least in part) from the society that I grew up in. But that doesn't change how I view the topic. I think trying to answer these questions for more than one person quickly becomes too complicated and murky.

    (Psst. Am I getting warmer?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Well if you're saying that we should accept all emotions without bias then that is actually something that is frequently suggested by psychologists and counselors, that there's no such thing as a "wrong" feeling, that it's important to acknowledge and accept all of your feelings, but it is the acting upon those feelings that makes the difference.

    Like dwelling on negative emotion - going beyond mere acceptance - can make us sick. And acting out in anger by hitting your children is wrong, although the anger itself should be acknowledged and dealt with, so I agree with you if that's what you're saying.
    Re bolded: Couldn't agree more. Actually I agree with everything, but especially the bolded.
    Everything that I express is simply an opinion with varying levels of support

    If I seem like a different type to you, I hereby give you permission to type me however you want.

  9. #69
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,022

    Default

    And yet, if you analyse historical references to what people do for "love", some of the worst behaviours have manifested for "love".

    Love or hate aren't good or bad. It's process, application and motivation, no?

  10. #70
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    And yet, if you analyse historical references to what people do for "love", some of the worst behaviours have manifested for "love".
    Do you mean love as sexual passion, or love as love? Because I'll agree with you if you say that bad behaviors have been linked to sexual passion, though I don't agree about love in general as a feeling of goodwill toward one's family, friends, neighborhood, humankind, and/or pets.

Similar Threads

  1. Which is more empathetic, Fi or Fe?
    By Doctorjuice in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 09:44 AM
  2. Technology or Nature: Which is more beautiful/appealing?
    By Athenian200 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 03-05-2011, 10:00 AM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-21-2010, 05:51 PM
  4. Is it better to be fear and hated or loved and accepted?
    By yenom in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 07:52 PM
  5. Falsification or comparison, which is more suitable?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 01:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO