User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Both are emotions. They're neurobiological reactions to stimuli. So...why would one be draining and the other not?
    Hmm, interesting.

If want to look at hate and love on a spectrum of energy created or drained out... then I can see cases being made for both sides. Hatred can be incredibly energizing (look at politics, lol) for some people.

Maybe it can just come down to the individual people. I personally find hatred draining and I can't stay angry for very long. Either it turns into apathy or it goes back to love. But that is just me.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

But this entire topic of love and hate fascinates me. People believe that love builds and hate tears down. Love = positive and feel good. Hate = negative and draining.

Now let's take this apart. IF social perception was the reverse, would love still be feel good and hate, draining?
    It fascinates me too. I think people's perceptions of the two are based on practical experience.

I think hate is ever-living in human-kind. It never dies and actually I'm not sure if I'd want to. I think the contrast of love and hate causes us to push our boundaries... it keeps things going, and dare I say, it's exciting.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

They're equally powerful but the person chooses which one will overcome them. Of course, some people get totally mixed up and think their hate is love (think terrorist attacks and abortion clinic bombings), and that's probably because they're both intense feelings and run on a similar circuit in the brain, kind of like funny and disturbing.

Ironically the closer you get to the "Holy Land" the more hate you see. I was thinking about that last night, how you see some of the ugliest most sadistic shit amongst deeply religious people. And I'm not singling out Muslims, either, I'm thinking about the Salem Witch Trials and the Crusades and people who have beaten their children in the name of a god and all kinds of other nonsense that's related to Christianity as well.

So, love and hate are equally powerful, some people get them mixed up, and it's really in the person to decide which one will over power them. Apparently hate is pretty seductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Hmm, interesting.

If want to look at hate and love on a spectrum of energy created or drained out... then I can see cases being made for both sides. Hatred can be incredibly energizing (look at politics, lol) for some people.

Maybe it can just come down to the individual people. I personally find hatred draining and I can't stay angry for very long. Either it turns into apathy or it goes back to love. But that is just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    It fascinates me too. I think people's perceptions of the two are based on practical experience.

I think hate is ever-living in human-kind. It never dies and actually I'm not sure if I'd want to. I think the contrast of love and hate causes us to push our boundaries... it keeps things going, and dare I say, it's exciting.
    Is it personal experience or is it public perception that makes these two into positive and negative, building and draining?

Imagine living in a society where hate is revered and love is quashed. Are you both 100% certain that you'd still feel the same way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

Did love stop the Axis Alliance in WW2?
    Did hate? Look, I'm of the opinion that perception counts for pretty much everything, regardless of whether or not something is objectively true. I think believing that love is a more powerful force than hate will have more positive and rewarding outcomes than the other way around. Odds are that it was a combination of the two (love of self/country/family/etc. and hate of enemy) that lead to the Axis being destroyed, but the combination would differ for every single person.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    No one likes to marinate in love. It's too mushy.
    Yes, but what if you've been prepared correctly? Maybe a dash of cinnamon, a hint of parsley, with some pepper on top (y'know to give it that extra kick)?
    Everything that I express is simply an opinion with varying levels of support

If I seem like a different type to you, I hereby give you permission to type me however you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    They're equally powerful but the person chooses which one will overcome them. Of course, some people get totally mixed up and think their hate is love (think terrorist attacks and abortion clinic bombings), and that's probably because they're both intense feelings and run on a similar circuit in the brain, kind of like funny and disturbing.
    The more I think about it the more I think that they are really two sides of the same coin. When we talk about hating people things get complicated because I think there are things to love and hate in every person. But, I think the fact is that the more I love something the more I will hate that which is antithetical to what I love. For example the more I love human life the more I will hate cancer and praise it's destruction.

I also can't help, but think about yoda and what he said about hate. So i think the danger of hate is when it is mixed with fear and people then behave in a destructive manner.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Anew Leaf

Is it personal experience or is it public perception that makes these two into positive and negative, building and draining?

Imagine living in a society where hate is revered and love is quashed. Are you both 100% certain that you'd still feel the same way?
    Hmm... well, I think we could look at some of the societies that Earth has seen to imagine this. I actually have always wondered this idea myself, now that you speak it so plainly. Whenever I watch movies that show a dystopia, like "Equilibrium", I ask myself... Would I notice something amiss in this society? Would I just mindlessly fall into line with the others?

I do believe that love is love no matter what the name, and hate is hate no matter what the name... But it comes down to how we perceive it.

Man, my mind is just whirling with the possibilities and angles of this right now. I will have to get back to you on this so I can form an actual cohesive answer rather than just a jumble of questions and meaningless ideas.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post

Ironically the closer you get to the "Holy Land" the more hate you see. I was thinking about that last night, how you see some of the ugliest most sadistic shit amongst deeply religious people. And I'm not singling out Muslims, either, I'm thinking about the Salem Witch Trials and the Crusades and people who have beaten their children in the name of a god and all kinds of other nonsense that's related to Christianity as well.

So, love and hate are equally powerful, some people get them mixed up, and it's really in the person to decide which one will over power them. Apparently hate is pretty seductive.
    Maybe that discrepency has to do with a lack of recognition of the possibility of hate. Kinda like pride and arrogance with their perception of themselves.

I'm gonna go ahead and call an intp being the first one to come in here with star wars jokes
    Everything that I express is simply an opinion with varying levels of support

If I seem like a different type to you, I hereby give you permission to type me however you want.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    The more I think about it the more I think that they are really two sides of the same coin. When we talk about hating people things get complicated because I think there are things to love and hate in every person. But, I think the fact is that the more I love something the more I will hate that which is antithetical to what I love. For example the more I love human life the more I will hate cancer and praise it's destruction.

I also can't help, but think about yoda and what he said about hate. So i think the danger of hate is when it is mixed with fear and people then behave in a destructive manner.
    I agree with you.

Hate is also mixed with feelings like fear and hurt in many people, they decide they hate someone they loved, not as a conscious decision, but because that person did something so hurtful to them.

And, yes, people can hate what they fear without checking to see if it's worth fearing. I think this is where things like racism come from. The fear of people who are different.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SRT View Post
    Maybe that discrepency has to do with a lack of recognition of the possibility of hate. Kinda like pride and arrogance with their perception of themselves.

I'm gonna go ahead and call an intp being the first one to come in here with star wars jokes
    Oh yeah, this? I think it's due to not even being fully aware of what love or hate is, it's kind of a blindness, and a lack of self-awareness. A dangerous lack of self-awareness.