First 123412 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I think this is right on. Hate feels stronger but it eats you up. Love moves in the other direction, it expands, building. It's hard because anger is such a powerful motivator. I'd be interested in thoughts on hate, love as motivators.
    Will have to think more about it when I get some mental space, but hate can be a powerful IMMEDIATE motivator. It promises to right wrongs, get what one deserves, punish the enemy, balance the scales. And anger is typically an aggressive way to resolve hurt/inequity; if you don't get angry, you typically ache. It's the "fight" response in the "fight/flee."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Will have to think more about it when I get some mental space, but hate can be a powerful IMMEDIATE motivator. It promises to right wrongs, get what one deserves, punish the enemy, balance the scales. And anger is typically an aggressive way to resolve hurt/inequity; if you don't get angry, you typically ache. It's the "fight" response in the "fight/flee."
    Not just immediate. It can be honed to knife edge if directed and kept burning. It's the indignation of Fi where sometimes, you have to pull down Berlin walls.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I see both as having an equal potential for depth or power on their respective spectrum sides, but we just interpret the manifestation in different ways.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I see both as having an equal potential for depth or power on their respective spectrum sides, but we just interpret the manifestation in different ways.
    Interesting. Would you care to elaborate at all?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i do not think hate is real. not hate in the sense of "evil" or "bad", not hate in the sense of the opposite of love.

i think that hurt is real, and fear. and together hurt and fear can what we call "hate". but they are just postponements. protections. we act hateful because we think it will get us what we want. we think it will stop the hurt and prevent the fear. sometimes it's a temporary solution, like a piece of duct tape over an infected wound.

but ultimately, deep down, i think that love is all that exists.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Interesting. Would you care to elaborate at all?
    Sure. Basically, I'm imagining a line graph, but with the negative alignment being hate and the positive being love, and the center most point (or 0) being a state of complete emotional indifference and apathy. Now as you move further away from zero in either direction cognitively, how the emotion expresses it self outwardly with intensify, yet I don't see either sides having a definite end point in which one can go further than the other, therefore they both have an equal potential for depth being that there's no sort of arbitrary limit. As far as interpersonal dynamics go, I think we just tend to recognize negative emotion(hate) before anything else because of its general presentation. Hate, as it would progress down this line, would be more detrimental to the self and its immediate surroundings than its counterpart of love if placed at equal points, yet they're still actually at equal emotional points on their respective sides, with the only separation between them being the presentation relative to that side.

This is all just on the fly theorizing, by the way, so take it with a grain of salt.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I think they are equal in power.

Some people find it easier to love than hate, and other people find it easier to hate than love. Not sure why the differences but they are there.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Nothing beats loving to hate.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I think this is right on. Hate feels stronger but it eats you up. Love moves in the other direction, it expands, building. It's hard because anger is such a powerful motivator. I'd be interested in thoughts on hate, love as motivators.

Hate feels stronger because it feels so self-preserving but you are right that it silently and unsuspectingly turns inward. Love makes you feel so vulnerable and weak but it is the stronger of the two because it's ultimately more rewarding.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

I'd say love is more powerful, but hate is more common. An interesting topic to think about, especially since it seems that both have a tendency to live on in others. Idk, I like to think that, to an individual, one person's love can overcome the rest of the world's hate. I'm not an Idealist for nothing, after all.
    Everything that I express is simply an opinion with varying levels of support

If I seem like a different type to you, I hereby give you permission to type me however you want.