User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Yes. I think this way too. I feel they (love and hate) are equal in potential power or intensity. Apathy is different though.
    Correct, now you're catching on. Apathy has nothing to do with this topic. This topic is about the power of love vs. the power of hate.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    Hate is clearly more powerful. See: War, ethnic cleansing etc.
    I still believe in the power of love being ultimately more powerful than hate.

Hate may be everywhere but it can't totally eradicate the little delicate flowering of love that can crop up in even the worst of circumstances.

ReflecTcelfeR

The only way to eradicate hate is to take away the benefits from it that humans love.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't really think of love as delicate, it's a kind of strong steady force. Love of brother, love of mother, child. Love of music, love of art. It's a constant. Hate burns fierce and short.

A window to the soul

Note: The opposite of love is apathy, not hate.
    False.

You've limited yourself to a concept that's not relevant to this discussion; though I'm sure well intended. Sure yeah, love is the opposite of apathy in regards to caring vs. not caring; so what? What does that have to do with this thread? Look at the context of what you're saying vs. what the OP said. Now look at all of the facts...

Fact: love *is* the opposite of hate, but then Love has many opposites doesn't it? Why?...

Class, let's open our dictionaries to 'love'; notice love is a verb, love is a noun, and there are several definitions. For clarification, the OP is talking about love as a noun (intense emotion or "powerful" force; as in, "the force of love"), not love as a verb (caring for someone). Are you following the simple logic?

For grins, let's compare love to its opposites:
    LOVE AS A VERB: love (caring for someone) vs. apathy ( )
    LOVE AS A NOUN: love (intense positive emotion) vs. hate (intense negative emotion)...or the object or force that possesses the emotion; such as, "God is love; therefore, love is the most powerful force in the universe."

Just throwing this out there...
    Notice in books like the Bible, there are references to love and hate in the same sentence (as opposite ends of the spectrum).

I hope that helps put things in their proper perspective.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

^ Umm, what? I was just making a side note (referred to as Ne). I already said in my first post that I think love and hate are equally powerful.

A window to the soul

^ Umm, what? I was just making a side note (referred to as Ne). I already said in my first post that I think love and hate are equally powerful.
    Correct. Did you notice your side-note got replicated one time too many in the last two days? I decided to pull the plug.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    In typical P-fashion, I vaguely searched a few pages of this forum to see if this topic has been done before... seeing nothing, I decided to make my own thread.

So the question I am curious about is whether you personally believe love or hate is the more powerful force in this world. I am interested in your viewpoint whether it comes from life experience, personal philosophy, or religious reasons.

Hopefully it can end up being a fun discussion!

I personally believe love is more powerful than hate. I also think that both are a choice you make until the choice makes you.
    How do you measure power?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Correct. Did you notice your side-note got replicated one time too many in the last two days? I decided to pull the plug.
    What are you the thread police? I still think apathy is the opposite of love (and hate). If you disagree with me that's fine.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

What are you the thread police? I still think apathy is the opposite of love (and hate). If you disagree with me that's fine.
    Light-hearted discussion is SRS BSNS