User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

All in all they're pretty equal as far as the ability to motivate and change. Hate has a negative quality, like interstitial. It has no form of its own and instead is reactive and defined by what is around it. It's a push action against something, and is ultimately dependent on its object of focus. I prefer love because it stands on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Note: The opposite of love is apathy, not hate.
    why?
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    why?
    Because hate means you still care about what happens to someone (you just usually want it to be something bad) whereas apathy is devoid of either positive or negative emotions.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Apathy or indifference is not giving a damn.

Hate, like love, takes a lot of energy. You spend time thinking about the object of your loathing or affection. With hate, you might fantasize about painful or embarrassing circumstances befalling the person, and perhaps you even work - through gossip or worse - to encourage those painful or embarrassing circumstances to occur.

It seems to me that the opposite of love must require no effort, no emotion, no energy. Hate doesn't qualify. Apathy does.

Indifference takes nothing from you. If you don't care about a person, you don't expend any energy - positive or negative - on that person's behalf. You don't waste any time or brain cells thinking about the object of your apathy. The person to whom you are indifferent ranks below such mundane activities as buying toilet paper, removing ear wax or recycling junk mail.

On a global scale, probably hate as sad as it is to say. It's so much easier than love.

On the other hand on a personal level love is much more powerful than hate, precisely because it is so much more difficult to have.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Apathy or indifference is not giving a damn.

Hate, like love, takes a lot of energy. You spend time thinking about the object of your loathing or affection. With hate, you might fantasize about painful or embarrassing circumstances befalling the person, and perhaps you even work - through gossip or worse - to encourage those painful or embarrassing circumstances to occur.

It seems to me that the opposite of love must require no effort, no emotion, no energy. Hate doesn't qualify. Apathy does.
    Couldn't you spend and equal amount of time and energy about the object of your affection in love? I see the two as being equal energies, just on different sides of the spectrum. Hate requires only as little or as much as you choose to devote to it, with the greater the emotional investment equating to an equally great amount of energy required to sustain. Same with love, it's just different manifestations of the same emotional energy.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Hate is clearly more powerful. See: War, ethnic cleansing etc.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    Hate is clearly more powerful. See: War, ethnic cleansing etc.
    Love, especially when you start getting into the realm of like misguided or unrequited love, has the potential to be just as detrimental.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Two sides of the same coin. It's a draw.
    Lets flip for it.
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Couldn't you spend and equal amount of time and energy about the object of your affection in love? I see the two as being equal energies, just on different sides of the spectrum. Hate requires only as little or as much as you choose to devote to it, with the greater the emotional investment equating to an equally great amount of energy required to sustain. Same with love, it's just different manifestations of the same emotional energy.
    Yes. I think this way too. I feel they (love and hate) are equal in potential power or intensity. Apathy is different though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Love, especially when you start getting into the realm of like misguided or unrequited love, has the potential to be just as detrimental.
    Totally.
    Sometimes love hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by SRT View Post
    Yes, but what if you've been prepared correctly? Maybe a dash of cinnamon, a hint of parsley, with some pepper on top (y'know to give it that extra kick)?
    Then you're good.