User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Smile

There has never been a civilization not based on a religion and ours is based on christianity. And each religion has a central mytho-poetic figure and ours is Jesus Christ.

It is possible, even likely, there was a real person, on whom the mytho-poetic Christ was based. However the mytho-poetic Christ is a world removed from the real or historical Jesus.

All those in love with Jesus are in love with the mytho-poetic Christ. And he is our mytho-poetic Christ.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    There has never been a civilization not based on a religion and ours is based on christianity. And each religion has a central mytho-poetic figure and ours is Jesus Christ.

It is possible, even likely, there was a real person, on whom the mytho-poetic Christ was based. However the mytho-poetic Christ is a world removed from the real or historical Jesus.

All those in love with Jesus are in love with the mytho-poetic Christ. And he is our mytho-poetic Christ.
    As a child of western civilization, I vehemently reject Christ in favor of Heracles on grounds of general badassery

Enneagram
    CFV

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

Well said

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    This is quite polemic. Some people believe Jesus was a divine being, some believe he is a fraud, but, ime, very few people question his existence. I have been through all these phases and today I sincerely believe the Church created him. What do you think?

Source: http://www.vexen.co.uk/religion/chri...y_nojesus.html
    The earliest translation of a Gospel existed in Egypt well before 50 A.D.
    It is evident the original version in Greek existed at a much earlier date.
    The academics' note that the Gospels do not allude to historical sources is absurd.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5W4

Jesus the man probably existed, but Jesus was a fairly common name. As for Jesus the anointed one, the son of God e.t.c I highly doubt it.
    Knowledge is power. Sanity is for the weak.

Smile Existence transcending death

Quote Originally Posted by ahriman View Post
    Jesus the man probably existed, but Jesus was a fairly common name. As for Jesus the anointed one, the son of God e.t.c I highly doubt it.
    "Jesus the annointed one, the son of God etc", exists as part of our mytho-poetic heritage. We know very little of the historical Jesus but we know a whole library about our mytho-poetic Christ. And on top of that, our Western Civilization is built on our mytho-poetic Christ. And our mytho-poetic Christ will last at least as long as our Western Civilization and probably beyond. So our mytho-poetic Christ transcends not only his own death but even the death of Western Civilization.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Yes, I believe he existed. It doesn't seem all that far-fetched. The bible in itself, when read with reason, is not far-fetched. It is what people make of it that becomes crazy, and that's what the bible actually warns of. Problem is, no one reads it and just accepts some crazy's interpretation of it. They never gain a true understanding of what it means.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Yes, I believe he existed. It doesn't seem all that far-fetched. The bible in itself, when read with reason, is not far-fetched. It is what people make of it that becomes crazy, and that's what the bible actually warns of. Problem is, no one reads it and just accepts some crazy's interpretation of it. They never gain a true understanding of what it means.
    We are able to understand the meaning of the natural world by doing experiments. But we can't understand the mytho-poetic world, or the supernatural world, by doing experiments.

And when we disagree about the natural world, we can usually settle the matter over time by doing scientific experiments. But when we disagree about the supernatural world, or the mytho-poetic world, there are no scienfic experiments we can do to settle the issue. So disagreements about te supernatural world are intractable.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

As a non-expert on the extent of evidence available and someone who knows there is limited evidence for any individual, non- ruler's life, I'd say maybe, but as a very logic-based person and non-Christian, at best he was just a guy with very progressive ideas.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INTP

The historical consensus is that Jesus existed.