• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Something deep or profound

ygolo

My termites win
Please post anything deep or profound that you learn and feel like sharing.

It has been a long time since I learned something deep or profound.

I would say the last thing I learned of profound significance is that the "orthodox" view of quantum mechanics makes randomness a fundamental part of reality. In other words, randomness at the quantum level is not just the result of hidden variables and/or chaotic behavior being approximated as random.

Please share!

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I started growing a tree, and as it slowly came up from the ground, I realized the amount of energy it takes for a grown up tree to push the water and minerals from the ground up to all its thousands of leaves. And this happens so passively! I thought this is quite incredible.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I think it is mostly because the water evaporates from the leaves and this creates a type of a vacuum.

Mole

Permabanned
Deeper

I stand over the deep and profound abyss, every day. But I am afraid of heights, thank God, and I keep my feet firmly planted on the earth, until I become careless or tired or I want something else - and the abyss calls to me.

I always feel fear. The call comes from deep within, exquisite, but sets off all my self defences. The abyss flips me on my back, disorientates me, and tells me we are going on a journey. But the abyss is lying and we are going nowhere, we are only going deeper. "Keep looking", it says, "Keep looking, we are going somewhere, so you need to keep a look out, keep looking out for our destination". But there is no destination, we are only going deeper into the abyss.

Deeper, deeper and deeper.

ygolo

My termites win
I think it is mostly because the water evaporates from the leaves and this creates a type of a vacuum.

Hmm, interesting theory. How would one test it?

I'd be surprised if capillary action didn't have something to do with it. This is basically a combination of cohesive and adhesive forces between molecules.

Whatever the cause, it is still interesting. Thanks for sharing!

I stand over the deep and profound abyss, every day. But I am afraid of heights, thank God, and I keep my feet firmly planted on the earth, until I become careless or tired or I want something else - and the abyss calls to me.

I always feel fear. The call comes from deep within, exquisite, but sets off all my self defences. The abyss flips me on my back, disorientates me, and tells me we are going on a journey. But the abyss is lying and we are going nowhere, we are only going deeper. "Keep looking", it says, "Keep looking, we are going somewhere, so you need to keep a look out, keep looking out for our destination". But there is no destination, we are only going deeper into the abyss.

Deeper, deeper and deeper.

I find that the journey is more important than the destination in these things. We end up in life the same place we start (from "dust to dust", etc.)

I am wondering, why does it feel like an abyss to you?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I'd be surprised if capillary action didn't have something to do with it.

Yeah, it surely is a big part of it. But alone it wouldn't do, since it would only suck the water up to a certain level. You would always need the "vacuum" to get the water going all the way up and keep circulating.

Mole

Permabanned
I find that the journey is more important than the destination in these things. We end up in life the same place we start (from "dust to dust", etc.)

I am wondering, why does it feel like an abyss to you?

The journey is merely to distract the watchdog of our mind, keeping our mind occupied until the abyss can possess us fully.

It feels like an abyss to my mind because the abyss cares nothing for my mind. The abyss lies to my mind, distracts my mind, until I have entirely lost my mind and I am one with the abyss.

ygolo

My termites win
Yeah, it surely is a big part of it. But alone it wouldn't do, since it would only suck the water up to a certain level. You would always need the "vacuum" to get the water going all the way up and keep circulating.

There is osmotic pressure too. It is amazing how simple things around us can create such interesting questions.

The journey is merely to distract the watchdog of our mind, keeping our mind occupied until the abyss can possess us fully.

It feels like an abyss to my mind because the abyss cares nothing for my mind. The abyss lies to my mind, distracts my mind, until I have entirely lost my mind and I am one with the abyss.

For me, it is not an abyss but a warm and comfortable place to stay. It neither consumes me nor makes me feel as if I have lost my mind. Rather the opposite. For me, it is invigorating, and makes me feel sharper.

Mole

Permabanned
For me, it is not an abyss but a warm and comfortable place to stay. It neither consumes me nor makes me feel as if I have lost my mind. Rather the opposite. For me, it is invigorating, and makes me feel sharper.

I don't think there is any point in us arguing about the nature of the abyss, why not argue with the abyss?

ygolo

My termites win
I don't think there is any point in us arguing about the nature of the abyss, why not argue with the abyss?

It is an abyss for you. Not for me. Let us just agree to disagree. After all, we are talking about subjective impressions we have about delving deeper into something.

Mole

Permabanned
It is an abyss for you. Not for me. Let us just agree to disagree. After all, we are talking about subjective impressions we have about delving deeper into something.

This looks like an argument to me. And an argument is a way of not falling into the abyss. It is a way of talking about something rather than being the abyss.

And who in their right mind would want to be the abyss? For instance, it is bottomles. It cares nothing for our mind. As we approach the abyss we feel the fear of falling.

We are born with two fears - the fear of falling and the fear of snakes because both are dangerous.

Mole

Permabanned
The Ultimate Disney Abyss

On the other hand there is the Disney Abyss.

It's not the kind of abyss you fall into, it's more we are taken down in a controlled way, like in an elevator. The uncontrolled element is taken entirely out of the fall.

The Fall of Adam and Eve was our first fall, when the order of the Garden of Eden was destroyed by a talking snake. And ever since we have had a visceral fear of falling and snakes, understandably.

The Disney Abyss is the kind of abyss you have when you are not having an abyss, just as MBTI is the kind of personality test you have when you are not having a personality test.

The Disney Abyss has been approved by Health and Safety and it leaves you with a warm and friendly feeling afterwards - no post coital tristesse.

Some call the Disney Abyss the Micky Mouse Abyss which has a certain ring to it, but I prefer to think of the Disney Abyss as family friendly.

Some say the Disney Abyss has been denatured, and when you look into the Disney Abyss, the abyss no longer looks back or even bothers to call to you.

Disney though has struck back and is now offering the ultimate Disney Abyss. It is falling, they say, and falling without end, they say. And it is safe and family friendly. What is it?, I asked. Why, they said, we are going to set you falling around the Earth. We are going to put you into Earth orbit, the ultimate Disney Abyss.

ygolo

My termites win
Don't want to de-rail my own thread...so I'll post something that I think is somewhat "deep" (at this time at night, at least).

I thought it was cool, at the very least...I just re-discovered it after thinking for a bit following a conversation with Cimarron about group theory.

You can make any translation out of two reflections across planes, and you can make any rotation about an axis out of two reflections across planes. Think about it, chose your planes well.

I wont spoil it for you by giving you the exact choices of the planes. It becomes quite obvious upon some reflection.

PM me if you get stuck or need further clarification.

ygolo

My termites win
On the other hand there is the Disney Abyss.

It's not the kind of abyss you fall into, it's more we are taken down in a controlled way, like in an elevator. The uncontrolled element is taken entirely out of the fall.

The Fall of Adam and Eve was our first fall, when the order of the Garden of Eden was destroyed by a talking snake. And ever since we have had a visceral fear of falling and snakes, understandably.

The Disney Abyss is the kind of abyss you have when you are not having an abyss, just as MBTI is the kind of personality test you have when you are not having a personality test.

The Disney Abyss has been approved by Health and Safety and it leaves you with a warm and friendly feeling afterwards - no post coital tristesse.

Some call the Disney Abyss the Micky Mouse Abyss which has a certain ring to it, but I prefer to think of the Disney Abyss as family friendly.

Some say the Disney Abyss has been denatured, and when you look into the Disney Abyss, the abyss no longer looks back or even bothers to call to you.

Disney though has struck back and is now offering the ultimate Disney Abyss. It is falling, they say, and falling without end, they say. And it is safe and family friendly. What is it?, I asked. Why, they said, we are going to set you falling around the Earth. We are going to put you into Earth orbit, the ultimate Disney Abyss.

Your talk of a deep abyss and an elevator, and "falling" into orbit reminded me of another cool concept.

Imagine if we have an elevator shaft that went all the way through the Earth, and the elevator was allowed to move freely under the force of gravity. This is in a way, an "orbit" of itself. How is that for the Disney Abyss 2.0?

Mole

Permabanned
Your talk of a deep abyss and an elevator, and "falling" into orbit reminded me of another cool concept.

Imagine if we have an elevator shaft that went all the way through the Earth, and the elevator was allowed to move freely under the force of gravity. This is in a way, an "orbit" of itself. How is that for the Disney Abyss 2.0?

The Abyss will not be mocked.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
In Krav Maga, there is absolutely no defense strategies.. I think it is amazing how something with absolutely no defensive moves can make a person feel so safe. Everything is so aggressive--and yet kind in its own way. It made me think that everything is a matter of how you look at it--how you see it. Just because there aren't any defensive moves doesn't mean you aren't defending yourself. There is a technique for everything--an answer for everything--as long as you can see it. And the answer is alway so simple, so easy and clean.. As I struggled against an opponent bigger than myself, his arms were locked and my lack of reach meant I couldn't even begin the technique we were being taught. It never occurred to me until my instructor pointed it out--slapping his hands away created all the space I needed in one seamless movement that tied into the move I was wanting to do.

Fighting reminds me to keep looking at the world in all sorts of perspectives--and to keep me from being narrow minded.

Mole

Permabanned
In Krav Maga, there is absolutely no defense strategies..

Speaking of Krav Maga I am reminded of the Israeli women tourists that I occasionally meet in Canberra. The encounter is memorable, for even though I am friendly and laid back, the response is immediate and forceful.

The response is not aggressive even though it is forceful, and I recognise this, and so I respond by showing respect to the strength of the forceful response and remain friendly.

The forceful response sets me back on my heels at first but I can see it is well intentioned, and it is enjoyable in its own way.

And just as I am attuned to the mytho-poetics of America, I am also attuned to the mytho-poetics of Israel.

But it is the mytho-poetics of Oz that I identify with.

So I am very interested in comparative mytho-poetics, and although it is important to understand them, it is most important they cross fertilize one another.

But it is hard to get them together. They are either largely unconscious of themselves or jealous of one another.

How can we get them to fall in love?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is no single undertaking in my life that has deprived me of so much that I've always had, yet at the same time led me to all that I ever wished I could be, until now.
The greatest accomplishmnets are not without sacrifice.
Know thyself, make sure your heart and mind are in the same place, and once you are sure of that - GO FOR IT.

:solidarity:

-Halla