User Tag List

123 Last

Lightbulb Something deep or profound

Please post anything deep or profound that you learn and feel like sharing.

It has been a long time since I learned something deep or profound.

I would say the last thing I learned of profound significance is that the "orthodox" view of quantum mechanics makes randomness a fundamental part of reality. In other words, randomness at the quantum level is not just the result of hidden variables and/or chaotic behavior being approximated as random.

Please share!

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I started growing a tree, and as it slowly came up from the ground, I realized the amount of energy it takes for a grown up tree to push the water and minerals from the ground up to all its thousands of leaves. And this happens so passively! I thought this is quite incredible.

Thanks for sharing. That is interesting. I wonder if capillary action accounts for all of it.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/scienc...Bio_p033.shtml

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I think it is mostly because the water evaporates from the leaves and this creates a type of a vacuum.

Deeper

I stand over the deep and profound abyss, every day. But I am afraid of heights, thank God, and I keep my feet firmly planted on the earth, until I become careless or tired or I want something else - and the abyss calls to me.

I always feel fear. The call comes from deep within, exquisite, but sets off all my self defences. The abyss flips me on my back, disorientates me, and tells me we are going on a journey. But the abyss is lying and we are going nowhere, we are only going deeper. "Keep looking", it says, "Keep looking, we are going somewhere, so you need to keep a look out, keep looking out for our destination". But there is no destination, we are only going deeper into the abyss.

Deeper, deeper and deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I think it is mostly because the water evaporates from the leaves and this creates a type of a vacuum.
    Hmm, interesting theory. How would one test it?

I'd be surprised if capillary action didn't have something to do with it. This is basically a combination of cohesive and adhesive forces between molecules.

Whatever the cause, it is still interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I stand over the deep and profound abyss, every day. But I am afraid of heights, thank God, and I keep my feet firmly planted on the earth, until I become careless or tired or I want something else - and the abyss calls to me.

I always feel fear. The call comes from deep within, exquisite, but sets off all my self defences. The abyss flips me on my back, disorientates me, and tells me we are going on a journey. But the abyss is lying and we are going nowhere, we are only going deeper. "Keep looking", it says, "Keep looking, we are going somewhere, so you need to keep a look out, keep looking out for our destination". But there is no destination, we are only going deeper into the abyss.

Deeper, deeper and deeper.
    I find that the journey is more important than the destination in these things. We end up in life the same place we start (from "dust to dust", etc.)

I am wondering, why does it feel like an abyss to you?

Robot Fusion

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I'd be surprised if capillary action didn't have something to do with it.
    Yeah, it surely is a big part of it. But alone it wouldn't do, since it would only suck the water up to a certain level. You would always need the "vacuum" to get the water going all the way up and keep circulating.

I find that the journey is more important than the destination in these things. We end up in life the same place we start (from "dust to dust", etc.)

I am wondering, why does it feel like an abyss to you?
    The journey is merely to distract the watchdog of our mind, keeping our mind occupied until the abyss can possess us fully.

It feels like an abyss to my mind because the abyss cares nothing for my mind. The abyss lies to my mind, distracts my mind, until I have entirely lost my mind and I am one with the abyss.

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Yeah, it surely is a big part of it. But alone it wouldn't do, since it would only suck the water up to a certain level. You would always need the "vacuum" to get the water going all the way up and keep circulating.
    There is osmotic pressure too. It is amazing how simple things around us can create such interesting questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The journey is merely to distract the watchdog of our mind, keeping our mind occupied until the abyss can possess us fully.

It feels like an abyss to my mind because the abyss cares nothing for my mind. The abyss lies to my mind, distracts my mind, until I have entirely lost my mind and I am one with the abyss.
    For me, it is not an abyss but a warm and comfortable place to stay. It neither consumes me nor makes me feel as if I have lost my mind. Rather the opposite. For me, it is invigorating, and makes me feel sharper.

Robot Fusion

For me, it is not an abyss but a warm and comfortable place to stay. It neither consumes me nor makes me feel as if I have lost my mind. Rather the opposite. For me, it is invigorating, and makes me feel sharper.
    I don't think there is any point in us arguing about the nature of the abyss, why not argue with the abyss?