User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 54

  1. #1

    Lightbulb Something deep or profound

    Please post anything deep or profound that you learn and feel like sharing.

    It has been a long time since I learned something deep or profound.

    I would say the last thing I learned of profound significance is that the "orthodox" view of quantum mechanics makes randomness a fundamental part of reality. In other words, randomness at the quantum level is not just the result of hidden variables and/or chaotic behavior being approximated as random.

    Please share!

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  2. #2
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    I started growing a tree, and as it slowly came up from the ground, I realized the amount of energy it takes for a grown up tree to push the water and minerals from the ground up to all its thousands of leaves. And this happens so passively! I thought this is quite incredible.

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks for sharing. That is interesting. I wonder if capillary action accounts for all of it.

    http://www.sciencebuddies.org/scienc...Bio_p033.shtml

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  4. #4
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    I think it is mostly because the water evaporates from the leaves and this creates a type of a vacuum.

  5. #5
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Deeper

    I stand over the deep and profound abyss, every day. But I am afraid of heights, thank God, and I keep my feet firmly planted on the earth, until I become careless or tired or I want something else - and the abyss calls to me.

    I always feel fear. The call comes from deep within, exquisite, but sets off all my self defences. The abyss flips me on my back, disorientates me, and tells me we are going on a journey. But the abyss is lying and we are going nowhere, we are only going deeper. "Keep looking", it says, "Keep looking, we are going somewhere, so you need to keep a look out, keep looking out for our destination". But there is no destination, we are only going deeper into the abyss.

    Deeper, deeper and deeper.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I think it is mostly because the water evaporates from the leaves and this creates a type of a vacuum.
    Hmm, interesting theory. How would one test it?

    I'd be surprised if capillary action didn't have something to do with it. This is basically a combination of cohesive and adhesive forces between molecules.

    Whatever the cause, it is still interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I stand over the deep and profound abyss, every day. But I am afraid of heights, thank God, and I keep my feet firmly planted on the earth, until I become careless or tired or I want something else - and the abyss calls to me.

    I always feel fear. The call comes from deep within, exquisite, but sets off all my self defences. The abyss flips me on my back, disorientates me, and tells me we are going on a journey. But the abyss is lying and we are going nowhere, we are only going deeper. "Keep looking", it says, "Keep looking, we are going somewhere, so you need to keep a look out, keep looking out for our destination". But there is no destination, we are only going deeper into the abyss.

    Deeper, deeper and deeper.
    I find that the journey is more important than the destination in these things. We end up in life the same place we start (from "dust to dust", etc.)

    I am wondering, why does it feel like an abyss to you?

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  7. #7
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I'd be surprised if capillary action didn't have something to do with it.
    Yeah, it surely is a big part of it. But alone it wouldn't do, since it would only suck the water up to a certain level. You would always need the "vacuum" to get the water going all the way up and keep circulating.

  8. #8
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529
    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I find that the journey is more important than the destination in these things. We end up in life the same place we start (from "dust to dust", etc.)

    I am wondering, why does it feel like an abyss to you?
    The journey is merely to distract the watchdog of our mind, keeping our mind occupied until the abyss can possess us fully.

    It feels like an abyss to my mind because the abyss cares nothing for my mind. The abyss lies to my mind, distracts my mind, until I have entirely lost my mind and I am one with the abyss.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Yeah, it surely is a big part of it. But alone it wouldn't do, since it would only suck the water up to a certain level. You would always need the "vacuum" to get the water going all the way up and keep circulating.
    There is osmotic pressure too. It is amazing how simple things around us can create such interesting questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The journey is merely to distract the watchdog of our mind, keeping our mind occupied until the abyss can possess us fully.

    It feels like an abyss to my mind because the abyss cares nothing for my mind. The abyss lies to my mind, distracts my mind, until I have entirely lost my mind and I am one with the abyss.
    For me, it is not an abyss but a warm and comfortable place to stay. It neither consumes me nor makes me feel as if I have lost my mind. Rather the opposite. For me, it is invigorating, and makes me feel sharper.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  10. #10
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    For me, it is not an abyss but a warm and comfortable place to stay. It neither consumes me nor makes me feel as if I have lost my mind. Rather the opposite. For me, it is invigorating, and makes me feel sharper.
    I don't think there is any point in us arguing about the nature of the abyss, why not argue with the abyss?

Similar Threads

  1. Ask me something deep and profound
    By ObliviousExistence in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 04:29 PM
  2. [INTJ] I want to learn something deep or profound
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-25-2009, 11:21 PM
  3. [Fe] Deep or Shallow?
    By Dwigie in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 05:59 PM
  4. The Human Mind - the sum of its parts or something more?
    By Geoff in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 06:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO