User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5W4

On a similar topic Marmie How does a baby biting a childs finger get 341 million thumbs up? Maybe I'm just insensitive and lack a sense of humor but your a retard if you think that clip was entertaining and funny.
    Knowledge is power. Sanity is for the weak.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I would say the last thing I learned of profound significance is that the "orthodox" view of quantum mechanics makes randomness a fundamental part of reality. In other words, randomness at the quantum level is not just the result of hidden variables and/or chaotic behavior being approximated as random.
    Or maybe it's a way of limiting the computational complexity of the system we're living in.

Wait, forget I said that.

Re: Marmie's Youtube observation.
    Why is it that there is a fan of every piece of art, no matter how ugly or "low quality" it seems. And why are these people over expressed on Youtube?

edit - just saw that today's XKCD was relevant: http://xkcd.com/915/

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Was this irony intentional?
    I noticed it within seconds of posting it and just let it go

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I don't know how profound this is, but I'm reading a really cool book about what we're learning about the subconscious. Called "Incognito, the secret lives of the brain." It pretty much talks about how reality is very much changed and "watered down" by our consciousness.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    The huge letters. By the time I get to the end, I've forgotten what it was about.
    Maybe that's why it was so profound. A new system to cause memory loss in people who need to forget something. (For psychological purposes or otherwise.) Just talk about it in big blue print.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Please post anything deep or profound that you learn and feel like sharing.

It has been a long time since I learned something deep or profound.

I would say the last thing I learned of profound significance is that the "orthodox" view of quantum mechanics makes randomness a fundamental part of reality. In other words, randomness at the quantum level is not just the result of hidden variables and/or chaotic behavior being approximated as random.

Please share!
    Many physics-minded people are prone to declaring that quantum uncertainty is epistemological in nature. In fact, it is physical, or as physical as can be.

Although, where you say "fundamental part of reality," perhaps it is better to say it is a fundamental part of THAT reality, i.e., the quantum world. Such dualism is perhaps the only way to save ourselves from a complete skepticism regarding knowing the world around us. It also blocks the naivist approach of those who believe that the causality which rules the macro realm of common sense must also rule that of the sub-atomic.

The weird results of the double-slit experiment may easily be ruled out as an effect of the measuring instruments. However, in recent years some very complex experiments have been made which rule out those effects. The particles involved are not being affected during the process of measurement. It seems, in fact, that the results are being affected by the mind of the one viewing the results, whether they involve subatomic particles, atoms, buckyball molecules - or even objects on a size-level viewable by the naked eye, that is, the macro realm.

The sub-atomic realm consists, quite literally, of information, not of objects. The macro realm, under some carefully guided circumstances, can be made to appear the same way. These objects are thus not ruled by the laws of causality, but the laws of chance which determine the status of information. They are no longer what we would normally call "objects" except as a way of bringing them under the guise of normal everyday circumstance (e.g., kinetic energy).
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

The concept of connection. Blows me away every time I think of it.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cool. People are participating. One thing that I think is cool. Is that we can have this type of discussion with people from all around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ahriman View Post
    You probably already know this but I find incredible that somehow I am aware of my location and what I am doing and that it is really "me" doing it yet I can't find "me" in any part of my body and neither can anyone else.
    Proprioception and identity. Yes, this topic can get really deep

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Or maybe it's a way of limiting the computational complexity of the system we're living in.

Wait, forget I said that.

Re: Marmie's Youtube observation.
    Why is it that there is a fan of every piece of art, no matter how ugly or "low quality" it seems. And why are these people over expressed on Youtube?

edit - just saw that today's XKCD was relevant: http://xkcd.com/915/
    Maybe Miles Davis (I believe it was him) was right, and there is no wrong note in music. Despite what Prisig said, it is hard to deny the subjective component to any art.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I don't know how profound this is, but I'm reading a really cool book about what we're learning about the subconscious. Called "Incognito, the secret lives of the brain." It pretty much talks about how reality is very much changed and "watered down" by our consciousness.
    I heard about that book on the radio ("Fresh Air" I think). It is pretty neat to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Many physics-minded people are prone to declaring that quantum uncertainty is epistemological in nature. In fact, it is physical, or as physical as can be.

Although, where you say "fundamental part of reality," perhaps it is better to say it is a fundamental part of THAT reality, i.e., the quantum world. Such dualism is perhaps the only way to save ourselves from a complete skepticism regarding knowing the world around us. It also blocks the naivist approach of those who believe that the causality which rules the macro realm of common sense must also rule that of the sub-atomic.

The weird results of the double-slit experiment may easily be ruled out as an effect of the measuring instruments. However, in recent years some very complex experiments have been made which rule out those effects. The particles involved are not being affected during the process of measurement. It seems, in fact, that the results are being affected by the mind of the one viewing the results, whether they involve subatomic particles, atoms, buckyball molecules - or even objects on a size-level viewable by the naked eye, that is, the macro realm.

The sub-atomic realm consists, quite literally, of information, not of objects. The macro realm, under some carefully guided circumstances, can be made to appear the same way. These objects are thus not ruled by the laws of causality, but the laws of chance which determine the status of information. They are no longer what we would normally call "objects" except as a way of bringing them under the guise of normal everyday circumstance (e.g., kinetic energy).
    I did qualify my statement with the fact that it was the "orthodox" view of QM (or at least the one I was taught).

In the "orthodox" view presented to me, the macro-realm, classical physics, also, essentially "consists of information." What is fundamentally different is the nature of that information.

Search "Quantum Entanglements, Part 1" on youtube. There is a whole series of videos by Leonard Susskind of Stanford.

The double-slit interference pattern is fundamental to waves. Attributing the resulting pattern to "measurement error" is quite a stretch (measurement has a dramatic effect, certainly, but that dramatic effect is not an "error"). The experiment is actually pretty convincing evidence that the particles were "behaving like waves" ,because the interference pattern is exactly what would be produced by waves.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    The concept of connection. Blows me away every time I think of it.
    Yeah, this can mean so many different things, and true in all of my interpretations.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Ginkgo

Ginkgo

Roads are for fools and for highwaymen.