First 12345 Last

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I don't understand that big thoughts.
    What part don't you understand?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

The huge letters. By the time I get to the end, I've forgotten what it was about.

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    The huge letters. By the time I get to the end, I've forgotten what it was about.
    Just like life itself.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Yes. Maybe the letters aren't too big, maybe I'm too small.

MBTI
    INTP

You have two eyes. You have two kidneys, two nostrils, two lungs, and a whole lot of redundancy throughout your body.

You can live with one kidney and one eye, but there is a very special property with the eyes. You don't add redundancy by adding a second eye, you add a function unique to certain species. An eye would detect light, and an eye would allow a person to see. But when you have two eyes, you have something that other organ pairings cannot mimic. You actually have a structure for perception, but then you have another structure, in another place, with a different reception of the same stimulus (or in some cases, the second eye allows an entirely new stimulus to be detected). The important part is that the structure is no longer a redundancy, it isn't that you can see twice as much, but that you can now see something completely new, something you couldn't possibly see with one eye.

A person with one kidney can filter blood, and a person with two kidneys can filter blood (Truthfully, you only actually need the filtering capacity of 1/3rd of one kidney, but this is unimportant). But a person with one eye cannot actually perceive the world in the same way that a person with two eyes can perceive the world. Whenever identical structures give rise to new functions, I have to admire the design. We could say something similar about the billions of neurons making a whole brain with a whole new function, but the eyes are more obvious, more beautiful, and the function from the pairing is so simply explained. And it only takes two of them to give rise to the new, unique function. You aren't pouring more water into the glass when you add an eye, you're now pouring water into water and making wine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binocular_vision

That 120 degree field right in front of you is something very special, just as beautiful and magical as a pair could make. It's like a man and a woman making a child, so magical, but the eyes, I think, are overlooked.

MBTI
    STP

Life is not about me. No really. I spend most of my day pontificating from this point of view... that life is about me... and it's easy to see why we all see things this way, after all we're born and the longer we're alive the more we have in common with our memories. Each generation rarely looks behind itself long enough to fully acknowledge an exterior source and/or a higher power... then we have kids and the stress and responsibilities overwhelm the escaping sense that the life we now live is not much different from the parents we were born to.

We all think about our pasts and futures, but such a thing does not really exist apart from our imagination. There is only Today. It's as if the world had roughly 8 billion aerobic bikes, and Today each one of us persons currently living jumps on our respective aerobic bikes and pedals our hardest, just like every generation before us. Never mind they're all dead and buried, as we will likely be. Nevermind eternity beyond that.

Nevermind that. Today we ride.

Ginkgo

If inanimate objects can't believe anything

and atheists don't believe in god

then...

when i have sex with the jetstream hole in the jacuzzi

I have sex with an atheist.
    *shudders*

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    but the eyes, I think, are overlooked.
    Was this irony intentional?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5W4

You probably already know this but I find incredible that somehow I am aware of my location and what I am doing and that it is really "me" doing it yet I can't find "me" in any part of my body and neither can anyone else.
    Knowledge is power. Sanity is for the weak.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

How do those comments that say "I'm 14 years old but I love this band from the 80's/90s!!!111" always get voted to the top on youtube?