User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I don't think there is any point in us arguing about the nature of the abyss, why not argue with the abyss?
    It is an abyss for you. Not for me. Let us just agree to disagree. After all, we are talking about subjective impressions we have about delving deeper into something.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    It is an abyss for you. Not for me. Let us just agree to disagree. After all, we are talking about subjective impressions we have about delving deeper into something.
    This looks like an argument to me. And an argument is a way of not falling into the abyss. It is a way of talking about something rather than being the abyss.

And who in their right mind would want to be the abyss? For instance, it is bottomles. It cares nothing for our mind. As we approach the abyss we feel the fear of falling.

We are born with two fears - the fear of falling and the fear of snakes because both are dangerous.

Smile The Ultimate Disney Abyss

On the other hand there is the Disney Abyss.

It's not the kind of abyss you fall into, it's more we are taken down in a controlled way, like in an elevator. The uncontrolled element is taken entirely out of the fall.

The Fall of Adam and Eve was our first fall, when the order of the Garden of Eden was destroyed by a talking snake. And ever since we have had a visceral fear of falling and snakes, understandably.

The Disney Abyss is the kind of abyss you have when you are not having an abyss, just as MBTI is the kind of personality test you have when you are not having a personality test.

The Disney Abyss has been approved by Health and Safety and it leaves you with a warm and friendly feeling afterwards - no post coital tristesse.

Some call the Disney Abyss the Micky Mouse Abyss which has a certain ring to it, but I prefer to think of the Disney Abyss as family friendly.

Some say the Disney Abyss has been denatured, and when you look into the Disney Abyss, the abyss no longer looks back or even bothers to call to you.

Disney though has struck back and is now offering the ultimate Disney Abyss. It is falling, they say, and falling without end, they say. And it is safe and family friendly. What is it?, I asked. Why, they said, we are going to set you falling around the Earth. We are going to put you into Earth orbit, the ultimate Disney Abyss.

Don't want to de-rail my own thread...so I'll post something that I think is somewhat "deep" (at this time at night, at least).

I thought it was cool, at the very least...I just re-discovered it after thinking for a bit following a conversation with Cimarron about group theory.

You can make any translation out of two reflections across planes, and you can make any rotation about an axis out of two reflections across planes. Think about it, chose your planes well.

I wont spoil it for you by giving you the exact choices of the planes. It becomes quite obvious upon some reflection.

PM me if you get stuck or need further clarification.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    On the other hand there is the Disney Abyss.

It's not the kind of abyss you fall into, it's more we are taken down in a controlled way, like in an elevator. The uncontrolled element is taken entirely out of the fall.

The Fall of Adam and Eve was our first fall, when the order of the Garden of Eden was destroyed by a talking snake. And ever since we have had a visceral fear of falling and snakes, understandably.

The Disney Abyss is the kind of abyss you have when you are not having an abyss, just as MBTI is the kind of personality test you have when you are not having a personality test.

The Disney Abyss has been approved by Health and Safety and it leaves you with a warm and friendly feeling afterwards - no post coital tristesse.

Some call the Disney Abyss the Micky Mouse Abyss which has a certain ring to it, but I prefer to think of the Disney Abyss as family friendly.

Some say the Disney Abyss has been denatured, and when you look into the Disney Abyss, the abyss no longer looks back or even bothers to call to you.

Disney though has struck back and is now offering the ultimate Disney Abyss. It is falling, they say, and falling without end, they say. And it is safe and family friendly. What is it?, I asked. Why, they said, we are going to set you falling around the Earth. We are going to put you into Earth orbit, the ultimate Disney Abyss.
    Your talk of a deep abyss and an elevator, and "falling" into orbit reminded me of another cool concept.

Imagine if we have an elevator shaft that went all the way through the Earth, and the elevator was allowed to move freely under the force of gravity. This is in a way, an "orbit" of itself. How is that for the Disney Abyss 2.0?

Robot Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Your talk of a deep abyss and an elevator, and "falling" into orbit reminded me of another cool concept.

Imagine if we have an elevator shaft that went all the way through the Earth, and the elevator was allowed to move freely under the force of gravity. This is in a way, an "orbit" of itself. How is that for the Disney Abyss 2.0?
    The Abyss will not be mocked.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

In Krav Maga, there is absolutely no defense strategies.. I think it is amazing how something with absolutely no defensive moves can make a person feel so safe. Everything is so aggressive--and yet kind in its own way. It made me think that everything is a matter of how you look at it--how you see it. Just because there aren't any defensive moves doesn't mean you aren't defending yourself. There is a technique for everything--an answer for everything--as long as you can see it. And the answer is alway so simple, so easy and clean.. As I struggled against an opponent bigger than myself, his arms were locked and my lack of reach meant I couldn't even begin the technique we were being taught. It never occurred to me until my instructor pointed it out--slapping his hands away created all the space I needed in one seamless movement that tied into the move I was wanting to do.

Fighting reminds me to keep looking at the world in all sorts of perspectives--and to keep me from being narrow minded.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    In Krav Maga, there is absolutely no defense strategies..
    Speaking of Krav Maga I am reminded of the Israeli women tourists that I occasionally meet in Canberra. The encounter is memorable, for even though I am friendly and laid back, the response is immediate and forceful.

The response is not aggressive even though it is forceful, and I recognise this, and so I respond by showing respect to the strength of the forceful response and remain friendly.

The forceful response sets me back on my heels at first but I can see it is well intentioned, and it is enjoyable in its own way.

And just as I am attuned to the mytho-poetics of America, I am also attuned to the mytho-poetics of Israel.

But it is the mytho-poetics of Oz that I identify with.

So I am very interested in comparative mytho-poetics, and although it is important to understand them, it is most important they cross fertilize one another.

But it is hard to get them together. They are either largely unconscious of themselves or jealous of one another.

How can we get them to fall in love?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

There is no single undertaking in my life that has deprived me of so much that I've always had, yet at the same time led me to all that I ever wished I could be, until now.
    The greatest accomplishmnets are not without sacrifice.
    Know thyself, make sure your heart and mind are in the same place, and once you are sure of that - GO FOR IT.

-Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I don't understand that big thoughts.