• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what disturbs you?

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The situation in China disturbs me.

Haha I live in China. It's nothing like what most Americans think it is. Chinese people are filthy rich - at least the ones in Shanghai, where I live. Well, to be fair, Shanghai's the most well-off city in the whole country. Beijing comes in second, even though it's the capital. I guess Shanghai's like America's New York in that sense.

Besides, no one's being oppressed here... the Chinese government may be Communist (I don't understand why Americans demonize Communism anyway; it's only a socioeconomic concept!), but the Chinese economy is, alas, Capitalist down to its marrows.

Anyhow, I'm deeply disturbed by violence. I hate watching bloody clips too.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That I don't get disturbed by much.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haha I live in China. It's nothing like what most Americans think it is. Chinese people are filthy rich - at least the ones in Shanghai, where I live. Well, to be fair, Shanghai's the most well-off city in the whole country. Beijing comes in second, even though it's the capital. I guess Shanghai's like America's New York in that sense.

Besides, no one's being oppressed here... the Chinese government may be Communist (I don't understand why Americans demonize Communism anyway; it's only a socioeconomic concept!), but the Chinese economy is, alas, Capitalist down to its marrows.

I'm glad to know that some people aren't bad off..... there are many here (Cali) who came from China, and they unfortunately tell a different story.

G

Ginkgo

Gullible people. Idiotic behavior culminating into harming others.

Loud, shrill screaming.

Other than that, being affected by the disturbance for me is like an oil leak in water, slowly expanding until the entire ocean is a shade darker. It takes just as long to purify.

G

Ginkgo

How connected do you think China is to the rest of the world? Somehow you just painted it as an isolated paradise with gold gilded corridors, where nobles prance around like Peter Pan in neverland, wearing exquisite masks and robes adorned with the finest silk, fresh from the silk larva, which are fed with the finest herbs and alcoholic beverages.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How connected do you think China is to the rest of the world? Somehow you just painted it as an isolated paradise with gold gilded corridors, where nobles prance around like Peter Pan in neverland, wearing exquisite masks and robes adorned with the finest silk, fresh from the silk larva, which are fed with the finest herbs and alcoholic beverages.

Really? Haha that's weird.

I think China's pretty well-connected to the rest of the world. I lived in China for the past 11 or so years - well I was practically raised and educated here. I went to British/American International schools and that's where I learned English, Chinese, and Spanish with friends from all over the world (I'm Korean BTW): America, Hong Kong, Finland, Denmark, Italy, Germany, Great Britain, Japan, India, Australia, you name it.

Anyhow, people here do know what's going on with the rest of the world. News programs are doing well and so are newspapers. To my knowledge, no news websites have been banned from China - I can access BBC, CNN, (New York) Times etc. without proxies. Korean/American channels are available on my TV, and I have friends who have access to other countries' channels as well.

Oh, and by the way, everyone dresses like westerners around here - no traditional attire whatsoever, unless it's for a special photo-shoot. Perhaps during traditional marriages...

I will say this: some websites are blocked in China and can be accessed via proxies only. These websites include Facebook and Youtube. These two actually weren't banned till 2-3 years ago, but something must've prompted the Chinese government to shut both down. Doesn't matter too much though, 'cause usable proxies are readily available.

Did this answer your question?

Below is a photo from The Bund of China. It's about 20 minutes away from my home if I take a car. That's the Yellow River right there. Here, there's a huge European bank made completely out of marble, the Pearl Tower, some restaurants, an underground (or should I say "under-river") tunnel available to tourists, a number of business centers, Shangri-la hotel, and a huge brand mall, just to name a few. I usually come here to hang out with my family or friends at Starbucks or something.

shanghai_pudong-1.jpg

G

Ginkgo

Really? Haha that's weird.

I think China's pretty well-connected to the rest of the world. I lived in China for the past 11 or so years - well I was practically raised and educated here. I went to British/American International schools and that's where I learned English, Chinese, and Spanish with friends from all over the world (I'm Korean BTW): America, Hong Kong, Finland, Denmark, Italy, Germany, Great Britain, Japan, India, Australia, you name it.

Anyhow, people here do know what's going on with the rest of the world. News programs are doing well and so are newspapers. To my knowledge, no news websites have been banned from China - I can access BBC, CNN, (New York) Times etc. without proxies. Korean/American channels are available on my TV, and I have friends who have access to other countries' channels as well.

Oh, and by the way, everyone dresses like westerners around here - no traditional attire whatsoever, unless it's for a special photo-shoot. Perhaps during traditional marriages...

I will say this: some websites are blocked in China and can be accessed via proxies only. These websites include Facebook and Youtube. These two actually weren't banned till 2-3 years ago, but something must've prompted the Chinese government to shut both down. Doesn't matter too much though, 'cause usable proxies are readily available.

Did this answer your question?

Yes'm. :yes: I was actually just being creative and silly; I'm aware that the economy is quite prosperous over there, it's just that I have no Chinese friends whatsoever, save for one I met last year through a charter school and no longer keep tabs on. Considering the fact that she has a facebook, she must use proxies. However, since email addresses are required to create an account on either youtube or facebook, you would still have to be under the guise of the proxy while using your email address for them not to trace you. On the other hand, if those websites are simply censored, not criminalized or illegal to use, I suppose it doesn't matter.

Well I believe google bought up youtube a couple of years ago, and the fact that borrowed material was frequently posted their without the permission of the respective owners made it very difficult to regulate.

G

Ginkgo

Below is a photo from The Bund of China. It's about 20 minutes away from my home if I take a car. That's the Yellow River right there. Here, there's a huge European bank made completely out of marble, the Pearl Tower, some restaurants, an underground (or should I say "under-river") tunnel available to tourists, a number of business centers, Shangri-la hotel, and a huge brand mall, just to name a few. I usually come here to hang out with my family or friends at Starbucks or something.

shanghai_pudong-1.jpg

You're making me proud to be human. :laugh:

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
copperfish, you are not even Chinese. I could also go to Shanghai and have a rip-roaring good ole time, while the rest of the country lies in filth.

I would suggest educating yourself on the horrible practices being used against China and it's people, at the hands of it's own government (including carrying out executions against it's people for population control - yay for communism, eh? Where's communism? I want to sign up for a lethal injection! And I want to work 90 hour weeks for a half cent an hour with $15 taken out of my paycheck for boarding :party: How can you use the internet when you can't afford a computer, which is where 90% of their population stands). Notice the schools you attended are AMERICAN/BRITISH, not Chinese. LoL..... (lucky for YOU, America has some schools in Shanghai).

A pretty city created for others does not a good country make. All this post does for me is make you look uneducated and uncaring, and selfish. At least know the state of the environment outside of Shanghai before you decide how great communism is. :thumbdown:

America takes much better care of it's people. DUH. Some of the worst human rights violations in the WORLD happen in China.

UNREAL......Absolutely and utterly unbelievable.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
copperfish, you are not even Chinese. I could also go to Shanghai and have a rip-roaring good ole time, while the rest of the country lies in filth.

I would suggest educating yourself on the horrible practices being used against China and it's people, at the hands of it's own government (including carrying out executions against it's people for population control - yay for communism, eh? Where's communism? I want to sign up for an injection! And I want to work 90 hour weeks for a half cent an hour with $15 taken out of my paycheck for boarding :party: How can you use the internet when you can't afford a computer, which is where 90% of their population stands). Notice the schools you attended are AMERICAN/BRITISH, not Chinese. LoL..... (lucky for YOU, America has some schools in Shanghai).

So if I'm not Chinese there's no way I would understand anything about the more vile practices in China? You aren't Chinese either, right? I've had plenty of opportunities to hear or read about the horrible deeds that go on in China, and do believe I know more than you do about the truth in the things that are (supposedly) happening.

Executions do happen, but it's not for population control. The most recent execution involved a man in Inner Mongolia who ran over a young boy because he stood in the way of a vehicle. Is the practice of execution to be condemned? I have no answer for you.

The thing about low wages... One, I knew about that already, and two, aren't Americans the ones who benefit most from them anyway? Low prices can't come without low production costs. Without this system, unfortunately, the world economy would suffer quite a deal. No offense, but I don't think Americans should judge so quickly about this issue. Judge me if you want, I don't care.

I have friends who go to Chinese schools. Conditions are worse off than international schools, but they're still an option for many immigrants. I know I'm lucky to have studied at international schools. I'm not that stupid.

A pretty city created for others does not a good country make. All this post does for me is make you look uneducated and uncaring, and selfish. At least know the state of the environment outside of Shanghai before you decide how great communism is. :thumbdown:

Hey, chill. It's not like I never stepped out of Shanghai over all these years. I've been to the poorer parts of the country a number of times and have even been to Sichuan when that huge earthquake struck as part of a voluntary community service trip. Besides, like I said, I've had lots of opportunities to discover the "state of environment outside of Shanghai" whilst I lived here, via TV, newspapers, internet, friends who live here etc.

And by the way, one thing you should know is that while the Chinese press is heavily monitored and censored, the foreign ones aren't, and therefore foreigners are more likely to be aware of the stuff going on in China/the world than Chinese people.

Stop blaming everything on Communism. Looks like you misunderstood me, but I'm no fan of Communism - I'm completely neutral, in fact. It's not Communism itself that's hurting Chinese people, it's the people with power - Communism is a CONCEPT, a THEORY that actually has little to do with the idea of oppressing people. The definition of Communism originally centers on property rights, not oppression. I really wish Americans would look deeper into Communism before getting all rowdy about it.

America takes much better care of it's people. DUH. Some of the worst human rights violations in the WORLD happen in China.

Worst human violations? Hardly... Pray tell what you've heard. I know there's a lot of untrue rumors going around about China, especially among Americans. I have no idea what's going on in America, so no comment.

As uneducated as I may seem to you, so you seem ignorant to me.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
copperfish, all you have to do is go read wikipedia to get the facts on the matter. LoL....... I don't have time to argue with you. READ...... Go look up "human rights in China" on wikipedia.

I never blamed everything on communism. Why the fuck should I LIKE communism when I live in better circumstances and with more freedoms than any communist society ever has? Put yourself in our shoes for a fucking change. Of course I am going to like what I have, because it's better than what has ever been done before it.

It freaking kills me how people in these other countries want to come around and say we are all wrong about their countries. We do a comparison and we've got it better. Their practices seem medieval and horrible in comparison. They are to us.

There IS NO silly, immature pissing contest. It is what it is. You can either work for change, or you can pretend it doesn't exist and play some silly game. Boy, a lot of people on the net sure have a lot of free time that they could be putting into working for change and improvement. With that said, I'm outa here.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
copperfish, all you have to do is go read wikipedia to get the facts on the matter. LoL....... I don't have time to argue with you. READ...... Go look up "human rights in China" on wikipedia.

Already checked that out when I had to write papers about the very topic in high school. Also, note that that article is written w/o much input of Chinese people themselves. You can't really prove that the contents are completely true or unbiased.

The slang term wikidiot comes to mind.

1) any person who accepts everything posted on Wikipedia as fact
2) especially any person who knows that anyone can post on there and still uses it as an attempted credible source

I never blamed everything on communism. Why the fuck should I LIKE communism when I live in better circumstances and with more freedoms than any communist society ever has? Put yourself in our shoes for a fucking change. Of course I am going to like what I have, because it's better than what has ever been done before it.

No one's telling you to like communism. I, too, prefer capitalism to anything else out there. It's the "best government money can buy," haha.

It freaking kills me how people in these other countries want to come around and say we are all wrong about their countries. We do is a comparison and we've got it better. Their practices seem medieval and horrible in comparison. They are to us.

Fair enough.

There IS NO silly, immature pissing contest. It is what it is. You can either work for change, or you can pretend it doesn't exist and play some silly game. Boy, a lot of people on the net sure have a lot of free time that they could be putting into working for change and improvement. With that said, I'm outa here.

I'm not pretending it doesn't exist, nor am I trying to play some silly game or get into an immature pissing contest. And I'll be completely honest and say that I don't really care about working for change and improvement - there realistically isn't much I can do to stop the Chinese government from doing the things it does.

Anyhow, I don't think this discussion is going to get any more productive, so yes, let's end it here. I wish you well, no sarcasm intended.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I know I can't prove the information on wikipedia is correct, but it's a good start into researching the topic. I simply don't have the TIME to completely research every topic I come into contact with, so I try to weed through wikipedia and take most of it as "fact" until further notice. Information is everywhere on China and the situation over there. It's pretty much a known fact that the situation is nasty. I've used the input of many Chinese people that came FROM there as well, to understand the situation, so yes, I do have real-world stories. WE in Cali are helping them make the transitions, so we see what situation they are in when they arrive here, and what their stories are, and where they end up and how they act. It's no secret.

America has it's problems too. The difference is that instead of trying to convince someone it is better than it is, Americans complain and want more and better. LoL....... They will tell you it never is good enough.

G

Ginkgo

America has it's problems too. The difference is that instead of trying to convince someone it is better than it is, Americans complain and want more and better. LoL....... They will tell you it never is good enough.

That's because we're always climbing a ladder with the people above us having cash hanging out their pockets. :wink:

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, I know I can't prove the information on wikipedia is correct, but it's a good start into researching the topic. Information is everywhere on China and the situation over there. It's pretty much a known fact that the situation is nasty. I've used the input of many Chinese people that came FROM there as well, to understand the situation, so yes, I do have real-world stories. WE in Cali are helping them make the transitions, so we see what situation they are in when they arrive here, and what their stories are, and where they end up and how they act. It's no secret.

I see. I'm curious as to where in China those people are from and when they moved to America (no need to answer me, I'm just saying). Anyhow, it's great that Californians are helping those people out - though I still wonder how those Chinese people got to America in the first place, if they really were in a pinch. I'm not about to deny that things are bad in China (at least in comparison in America). I guess we both have real-world stories in our arsenals - arguing about those seems like a waste of time, so I'm not going to bother.

Heh. Good for you guys.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
though I still wonder how those Chinese people got to America in the first place, if they really were in a pinch

The same way mexicans get here.... they sneak by the guards at night and run across the borders. Chinese will tell similar stories of sneaking by guards, walking for days with no food, jumping on boats, etc. to get to another area of the world. It's not easy, but they eventually find a way......

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Child birth doesn't disturb me but when people have 15 kids, or 19 and counting... I wonder if they even have RIMNETS of a vagina left..

What you've mentioned inspires varying levels of disgust within me. Not only are these people breeding in such rapid succession as to emulate the behavior of caged rabbits in some sort of pharmaceutical or cosmetic testing facility, it's that those couples are typically of lower levels of intelligence. Anyone with more than 3 children is just an asshole. Why? First off, they never factor in just how resources, be it economic or environmental, it takes to sustain a human, just one, at the level of comfort we've become accustomed to in this modern society, let alone an entire community of any sort of substantial size. You also have to factor in that not only have you brought 15 people into existence, they themselves will likely reproduce and further continue the cycle, which makes a moderately sizable impact on the population if you were to express this as some sort of ratio given that this presumably extended family tree originates only from two people; The killer bee infestation started from only a few escapes of a crossbreed combination.
In the words of the late and great George Carlin, "They're just pumping out a unit".

Next, separate from the children you've bred, you also have to question whether two people who have brought that many lives into existence are people who could generally be considered worthy of having their genes propagated. In most cases these people who are responsible aren't particularly intelligent, have no real goals, dreams, or aspirations, and just generally work menial labor jobs until their ticker eventually burns itself out and they have nothing left to divide amongst these 15 people, now adults, besides a piss-stained, pullout couch. They exist only because they exist, basically. Anybody actually worthy of reproduction is probably somewhere doing something way more captivating and fulfilling, both on a personal and perhaps even global level, than just mass populating.

Lastly, yeah, I imagine a vagina does look pretty haggard after its been exploded with baby dynamite on 15 separate occasions.

G

Ginkgo

What you've mentioned inspires varying levels of disgust within me. Not only are these people breeding in such rapid succession as to emulate the behavior of caged rabbits in some sort of pharmaceutical or cosmetic testing facility, it's that those couples are typically of lower levels of intelligence. Anyone with more than 3 children is just an asshole. Why? First off, they never factor in just how resources, be it economic or environmental, it takes to sustain a human, just one, at the level of comfort we've become accustomed to in this modern society, let alone an entire community of any sort of substantial size. You also have to factor in that not only have you brought 15 people into existence, they themselves will likely reproduce and further continue the cycle, which makes a moderately sizable impact on the population if you were to express this as some sort of ratio given that this presumably extended family tree originates only from two people; The killer bee infestation started from only a few escapes of a crossbreed combination.
In the words of the late and great George Carlin, "They're just pumping out a unit".

Next, separate from the children you've bred, you also have to question whether two people who have brought that many lives into existence are people who could generally be considered worthy of having their genes propagated. In most cases these people who are responsible aren't particularly intelligent, have no real goals, dreams, or aspirations, and just generally work menial labor jobs until their ticker eventually burns itself out and they have nothing left to divide amongst these 15 people, now adults, besides a piss-stained, pullout couch. They exist only because they exist, basically. Anybody actually worthy of reproduction is probably somewhere doing something way more captivating and fulfilling, both on a personal and perhaps even global level, than just mass populating.

Lastly, yeah, I imagine a vagina does look pretty haggard after its been exploded with baby dynamite on 15 separate occasions.

Oh, so you are from INTPCentral!