ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Communism doesn't involve dictators.
    com·mu·nism
       /ˈkɒmyəˌnɪzəm/ Show Spelled[kom-yuh-niz-uhm] Show IPA
    –noun
    a theory or system of social organization based on the holding of all property in common, actual ownership being ascribed to the community as a whole or to the state.
    ( often initial capital letter ) a system of social organization in which all economic and social activity is controlled by a totalitarian state dominated by a single and self-perpetuating political party.
    ( initial capital letter ) the principles and practices of the Communist party.

dic·ta·tor·ship
       /dɪkˈteɪtərˌʃɪp, ˈdɪkteɪ-/ Show Spelled[dik-tey-ter-ship, dik-tey-] Show IPA
    –noun
    a country, government, or the form of government in which absolute power is exercised by a dictator.
    absolute, imperious, or overbearing power or control.
    the office or position held by a dictator.

What Is Communism?
    Reading Level
    edHelper's suggested reading level: grades 5 to 7
    Flesch-Kincaid grade level: 8.53

Vocabulary
    challenging words: dictator, communism, original, ownership, communication, society, theory, successful, revolution, economic, vladimir, revolutionary, meaning, philosopher, opposite, farmland
    content words: Karl Marx, Vladimir Lenin, Communist Party, In Communist Russia, United States

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

They may not be completely aligned but they both desire control. And a lot of communist country's in the past have had dictators. So I think what I said is justified :P

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jelly View Post
    They may not be completely aligned but they both desire control. And a lot of communist country's in the past have had dictators. So I think what I said is justified :P
    How can a political theory "desire control"?

Communism, properly understood, does not involve any government, and certainly not a dictator. There has never been a Communist government or state, and indeed there cannot be: Communism is as much an ideology about statelessness than it is about classlessness. That certain tyrants of the past have declared themselves communists is clearly irrelevant to this.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

How can a political theory "desire control"?

Communism, properly understood, does not involve any government, and certainly not a dictator. There has never been a Communist government or state, and indeed there cannot be: Communism is as much an ideology about statelessness than it is about classlessness. That certain tyrants of the past have declared themselves communists is clearly irrelevant to this.
    What you wrote makes absolutely NO SENSE to me. And it sounds more like your own personal opinion than anything. If communism is an "idea" your basically saying its theoretical and doesn't exist. And if you don't believe it exists than I think you need help, or to seriously dig into history.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Lets see how the many ways a political party can desire control.

Gun control
    Banning Abortion
    Taxes (the federal reserve)
    Making it illegal to not have health insurance
    Banning circumcision
    Banning Gay Marriage
    Banning certain breeds of dogs

These are examples of what takes away from my freedom. When you take away freedom you are seeking control.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

It disturbs me when someone else desires to control anyone else other than themselves. It disturbs me how most people in my age group either don't want to get involved with politics, or they are liberal. It disturbs me how so many Americans are illiterate and I meet people who don't know who Hitler is, or what the holocaust is. It disturbs me that so many people are refusing to vaccinate their children.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

That Miss Jelly is disturbed by a large number of things disturbs me.

MBTI
    INTP

What you wrote makes absolutely NO SENSE to me.
    What is unclear?

And it sounds more like your own personal opinion than anything.
    My understanding is common, and completely uncontroversial.

If communism is an "idea" your basically saying its theoretical and doesn't exist.

If Communism isn't a political theory, what else is it? A type of doughnut, perhaps?

And if you don't believe it exists than I think you need help, or to seriously dig into history.
    I don't believe any current society is communist, though there may be an obscure tribe somewhere which proves me wrong. I cannot think of any historical society which has been communist.

Also, I recommend you don't insult me further: you'll elicit an identical reaction from me, only my insults will upset you.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

What is unclear?

My understanding is common, and completely uncontroversial.

If Communism isn't a political theory, what else is it? A type of doughnut, perhaps?

I don't believe any current society is communist, though there may be an obscure tribe somewhere which proves me wrong. I cannot think of any historical society which has been communist.

Also, I recommend you don't insult me further: you'll elicit an identical reaction from me, only my insults will upset you.

Maybe communism in its purist form has never been fully implemented. But to say it doesn't exist currently and never has existed is insane and your personal opinion. Nazi Germany, the former soviet union, the state of Iraq before bush declared war, China (currently), and maybe even Venezuela for is up for debate. And I wasn't insulting you, I was just giving you some much needed advice but I'll be the bigger person and say I'm sorry for hurting your feelings.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Maybe communism in its purist form has never been fully implemented. But to say it doesn't exist currently and never has existed is insane and your personal opinion. Nazi Germany, the former soviet union, the state of Iraq before bush declared war, China (currently), and maybe even Venezuela for is up for debate. And I wasn't insulting you, I was just giving you some much needed advice but I'll be the bigger person and say I'm sorry for hurting your feelings.
    Jelly, not meaning to gang up here. But Helio's ideas are, as he stated, 'not controversial' and on top of that pretty much accepted by people interested in the subject and far from just being personal opinion.