Thread: Karma

Ginkgo

Default Karma

What're your thoughts on it?

RDF

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I think there are different kinds of karma, from what i remember. there is the direct karma which happens this life time as a consequence to previous deeds and then there is the cosmic karma that occurs, only after you have moved on and plays out over the course of your next life or lives....depends if you want to break it down payment into installments or break it down into one lump sum...:P.
    (this is from the top of my head and with out google)

so what ever lot the life you are born into, if its crap, is a consequence of bad deeds from your previous life and anything bad that happens to you, possibly something you may not have deserved, even if you were a good person in that life.
    (my opinion) to me the universe is not fair, and though its bad, its also somewhat of a good thing. we enforce what
    laws, its our responsibility not the universe, if there is to be some peace and order. (correct me if Im wrong)
    there are ways to avoid direct karma of ones bad deeds and its much easier
    to avoid if you can get other people on board.

touching on if our past deeds following our souls into the next life....
    I dont believe we have souls and so I dont believe that our past deeds will follows us in death to the great beyond or would be a next life.

Love Buddhism btw, something so natural about it. its kinda intricate.

I believe that balance is real, however that plays out. Some may feel it is Karma, some a correction, some a superficial word. I think the striving for balance exists in all forms of nature, including the universe(s). However, who knows what the rules of 'balance' really are? They may be different than we think.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I agree with the things moving to balance

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    I think there are different kinds of karma, from what i remember. there is the direct karma which happens this life time as a consequence to previous deeds and then there is the cosmic karma that occurs, only after you have moved on and plays out over the course of your next life or lives....depends if you want to break it down payment into installments or break it down into one lump sum...:P.
    (this is from the top of my head and with out google)

so what ever lot the life you are born into, if its crap, is a consequence of bad deeds from your previous life and anything bad that happens to you, possibly something you may not have deserved, even if you were a good person in that life.
    (my opinion) to me the universe is not fair, and though its bad, its also somewhat of a good thing. we enforce what
    laws, its our responsibility not the universe, if there is to be some peace and order. (correct me if Im wrong)

touching on if our past deeds following our souls into the next life....
    I dont believe we have souls and so I dont believe that our past deeds will follows us in death to the great beyond or there would be a next life.

Love Buddhism btw, something so natural about it. its kinda intricate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    I believe that balance is real, however that plays out. Some may feel it is Karma, some a correction, some a superficial word. I think the striving for balance exists in all forms of nature, including the universe(s). However, who knows what the rules of 'balance' really are? They may be different than we think.
    I've grown to believe in direct karma. I think that if you act with bad intent, then you will suffer. Not because an invisible hand is manipulating your fate, or anything that relates to physical reality, but because when that 'bad seed', if you will, surfaces, we become aware of it through the undesired consequences in our lives. Logically, then, if you always had good intent, then life would be perceived as rosey; not because nothing bad happened to you, but because you wouldn't feel responsible for your misfortune. My karma system dictates direct and indirect awareness. It is awareness that brings a sense of balance.

Of course, personal will and rules of cause and effect are essential for this theory to even have a leg to stand on.

Conversely, 'intent' can be a true motivation, not the action. One can be 'pure' in action, but menacing in thought. Or vice versa. So how do you determine which is 'good'? Is it the action or the thought?

MBTI
    ESFJ

I understand karma to most has some sort of negative connotation but i believe it can also be applied when we haven't learned a particular life lesson so it plays out until we have that 'aha' moment and realise the valuable lesson thus able to move forward and progress.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    Conversely, 'intent' can be a true motivation, not the action. One can be 'pure' in action, but menacing in thought. Or vice versa. So how do you determine which is 'good'? Is it the action or the thought?
    The thought. I think, however, in the realm of organized Buddhism, they would eventually draw the line somewhere and state that unintentional catastrophe is bad karma. If I were to decide, I would stick to the principle and say that that unfortunate individual would have no bad karma. But, perhaps it is only for the individual to decide, since he/she is the only one who can determine their feelings of responsibility. On a side note, strictly organizing your sense of responsibility would probably save your conscience.

And maybe your 'conscience' (consciousness) is what determines whether Karma exists. You create your own reality.

When I was a young kid, I thought, that regarding religion, that it was each persons own true thoughts that determined what happened to them after death. If they believed in a God, then there was one for them, if they believed in nothing, then there was that, etc... As an adult, I know what feels 'right' and that it only feels right for me, and it's constantly being revised.

I love your threads, btw. *smile*