User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Karma

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by copperfish17 View Post
    ^ The way I understand karma... it's more of a "you get what you dish out" kinda thing. It can be good and it can be bad... ultimately it doesn't matter if what you did/got is good or bad, since it all depends on what you see as "good" and "bad" - that's totally up to your interpretation. Hmm... I don't think I've ever associated karma with types of energies. On a little side note, I think "bad" karma can also come in the form of guilt, anxiety etc.
    Yeah... to me it's a shorthand concept representing the generally observable pattern that if you start trouble you'll get trouble back: if you orient your life around darkness, you'll receive darkness, but if you bring good to the world you'll get goodness back. It doesn't always happen, but could there be a general pattern? It takes faith to believe in, & sometimes I have it but sometimes not.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I'm not sure if it exists either, but I would be scared to test it!

I don't believe in mystical mubo-jumbo. I see karma as almost as bad as religion... Which is pretty bad.

Riva

An offtopic post that some of you might find interesting -All what happens to one is not always a direct result of karma. There are 4 other Niyamas (don't ask for the English word - dammit I didn't study Buddhism in English) that affect one's life -(1) Consequences of one's actions / Karma(2) Seasonal / climate changes (3) Heredity (4) Perseverance (5) Had to google the last one -
    Dhamma Niyama - order of the norm, e.g., the natural phenomena occurring at the advent of a Bodhisattva in his last birth. Gravitation and other similar laws of nature.
    Point (5) - Perseverance could change certain bad karma affects / improve one's life - Important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Personally, I think the concept of karma is a crock of shit. The basis for it relies on the assumption that there's some universally objective form of negative and positive(right or wrong), which again, I don't think to be true; Everything is relative and context dependent.
    The basis of it doesn't rely on the assumption that there's some universally objective form of right and wrong.It is an action - reaction affect and not a universal judging system.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma#Buddhismhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratitya-samutpada
    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I don't believe in Karma. Bad things happen to good people, good things to bad ones. There is no magical cause-and-effect relationship in the universe. Pol Pot lived to be a very old man. How to explain that?
    Karma is not limited to what one does in this life. The concept/theory of Karma goes hand-in-hand with rebirth.

WALMART

I do believe in experiential influence.

For example, I once saw a group of old ladies have a blow out right in front of me. I put on my hazards and followed them to the side of the road, where I changed their tire for the spare. During the event, and I cannot recall what, I learned something that was directly applicable later in my day. Had I not stopped, I would have been mentally unprepared for that later challenge.

Doing 'good' things retains positive vibes in the psyche. The typical 'direct-influence' model of Karma is a flawed method of looking at it, likely inspired by vast exposure to Judeo-Christian themes.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Doing 'good' things retains positive vibes in the psyche.
    Yeah! Same for bad.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Yeah! Same for bad.

Particularly for bad. Have you seen the timescales of Naraka in Buddhism? Hell isn't permanent, but it sure is a long ass time o.0

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

You get what you give, what you encourage, what you condone, what you ask for with your actions; no less no more.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

I believe in karma in a non spiritual sense. Example; I give my friend free cigarettes, chances are when I need to bum some, she'll return the favour.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!

"I don't wear a toupee!" Donald Trump