User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    After reading your OP, I was going to suggest that you investigate the Quakers, and then I saw it came up #2 on your BeliefNet test. They're not as dogmatic as many religions, and it's as close as I can think of to a religion that lets you have both your personal relationship with God as well as a community.

I've had many of the same feelings as you have on this subject. I definitely believe in God, and I think that even empirically the existence of God is as likely as not. But I'm less convinced by the particular dogma of any individual religion. I was raised Catholic, and out of familiarity and tradition I'll still go to a Catholic church if I want to go to a church, but I think if I'm anything, I'm a Deist. You might be one too.
    Ha! You've just described me around about the age of 18 or 19 to 25!

I dont think I could describe myself as a deist now, although I've only seen it used as a term of abuse by evangelists or prolestyising Christians lately.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think if you want to compare religion to politics to illuminate this concept, a more apt comparison would be, say, approving of Obama as president while thinking the Democratic party is BS. When people embrace God and not religion, it's about the perceived disconnect between God and religion. It's like a singer with a crazy fan club. You can be a fan of the singer's work while wanting to keep your distance from the nutsos in the fan club. I don't think I should have to be bound by the rules of a compromised, human construct like a religion in order to have access to God. God and religion are related but not inextricably linked concepts.
    The singer not the song?

I remember a great movie which had that title and theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The singer not the song?
    Actually, in this case, the singer and the song are both important. It's just that I think a lot of the audience is mishearing the lyrics :p

And now I'm done derailing CuriousFeeling's thread.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

The strangest new religious perspective I've heard from sounds like a pseudo-science and its derived from physics, particularly quantum physics, and suggests that sentient human life is the universe becoming conscious and because "we are", we will be for eternity, I'm not sure if there is an afterlife or merely a succession of lives lived in a/the multiverse sharing the same consciousness eventually.

Its sort of what I think one speaker could have been talking about when they described the violence done by darwinism and asian metaphysics in fields they strictly had little to offer in when giving a talk to the royal scientific society.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I think that something in people's minds need to believe something to make sense of things. I don't think this helps your case at all, but it's just my thought. Agnostic mindset is hard to maintain for a human mind...
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

^ For some reason, I find being an agnostic more empowering. In the sense that 1) I have no one to rely on so I gotta toughen up and 2) I have free will and am not being controlled or watched over by some creepy dude(s)/dudette(s).
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I suspect the spirituality is influenced and age and phase of life.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

http://www.selectsmart.com/RELIGION/

See what it says, look at the 5 top results, research them and see which one resonates with you.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I suspect the spirituality is influenced and age and phase of life.
    Yeah, I think the transition into adulthood has a lot to do with it. I've become more open to the possibility of a spiritual dimension, essentially because I know that science can't prove or disprove its existence. Not enough evidence to suggest either way. My knowledge on religions in general is quite limited, so I think that exploring what is out there will be helpful for me to understand what is going on. From a scientist's perspective, I think exploring spirituality will give me a more well-rounded approach to life, perhaps make it even more meaningful. As an educator, I think it is essential for me to be culturally sensitive to my students' needs, and I think that being both spiritual and scientific will be helpful to make them feel included.

If anything, it is my wish (as idealistic as it is) to change the world by encouraging students (and hopefully it will branch out to others) to be open-minded to different interpretations of the same thing. Essentially spiritualism and science are branches off of the same tree of knowledge, just different ways to interpret the world.

To quote Einstein, "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

Quote Originally Posted by Vala Faye View Post
    http://www.selectsmart.com/RELIGION/

See what it says, look at the 5 top results, research them and see which one resonates with you.
    Beat you to it, Vala. Check here: My results.

I think that Unitarian Universalism seems the best step for me... it seems more of a gradual transition, and less strict social rules to contend with. I am really seeking more of a spiritual journey more than a moral compass, and would like flexibility if my beliefs change in the future, more of a liberal view on religion, but still with organized services. I want spirituality to be a part of my life, but not all of my life.

Thank you to those of you that have given suggestions. They have been helpful. I know now which course I want to take, and I am looking forward to this journey. Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I totally understand your sentiments.
    I was born and raised Roman Catholic.
    BUT - I never "accepted" any aspect of the faith that I thought to be absurd.
    For instance, I do not want to be drinking the blood of my God, or eating his flesh in mass every Sunday, but I accept the eating of wafers as a simple ritual and leave it at that.
    I have never drank the wine because I don't want to swap spit with hundreds of random people, sorry, not my cup of tea.

I too am a scientist, and I can offer you this easy consolation in there being life after death.
    You are familiar with the law of conservation of energy, right?

"Energy is never created or destroyed, it merely changes forms."

If you burn a wooden log, you get carbon and heat.
    If a human being dies, you get a rotting corpse, and the release of the magnificent spirit that used the human body as its "vehicle" to traverse this plane of existence, and upon its expiration, is freed back to where it came from before.
    See how that works?
    Really simple, isn't it?
    Now you just have to decide if YOU believe in the possibility of our existence as we know it being the temporary marriage of a human body, and a heavenly spirit that has an awareness and capacity to reason and love and feel far beyond any other creature on this Earth.
    This is the magnificence of human life, IMHO.

In all honesty, I used to hate organized religion. As you noted the conglict and contradictory dogmas and other junior high bullshit is just not my style.
    I have always had a very good relationship with the God of my understanding.
    Since I was a little boy, I knew God was present, and by the time I was an adolescent I knew that I had the choice to do his bidding here on Earth, to serve the greater good in the course of my daily life, to love my fellow brothers and sisters, to help my neighbors, and each time I elect to do so, I become happier, more content, and feel at one with the Earth and the sky and the heavens above.

THAT - is the essence of MY religion.
    I might be a Roman Catholic, but above that I know that God gave m and all other men and women FREE WILL, and I choose to serve my Lord and maker in a way that makes sense to me, and not by forcing myself to try and serve him in ways sanctified by a man-made organization that frankly, I am really not that comfortable with. I help my family, I help my friends, I help my neighbors, I do not think it necessary for me to give a percentage of my annual income blindly to an organization that has demonstrated time and again over history to be tainted by a lust for power, and in some cases things far worse.

Church has its place, don't get me wrong, but don't go to one unless you are COMFORTABLE there, that is my rule of thumb.
    And as far as your belief in God, that is between you and Him.

This world is no accidnet.
    The inter-relationships between all the living creatures of our ecosystem are by intelligent design, and I dare say the intellignet design of a wise and loving creator, who gave us, his spiritual children, a chance to live a life within a body that's existence is far different from the spirit that runs it.

This life is a gift, this is not a dress rehearsal.
    Live each day with love in your heart, and faith that the greater good wil find you if you but believe, and one day, you will awaken and be at peace yet still overjoyed.

I hope my ramblings made some sense to you.
    Feel free to follow up with any comments/questions you wish.
    I am an open book.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro