User Tag List

First 23456 Last

The dichotomy between religion and loving God or a personal relationship with God isnt one which I entertain really.

Its a little like saying why would you have an interest in politics or ideology if you can have a personal relationship with your local politician or neighbourhood politicos.

You could have a relationship with Your Local Jesus though

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

If you're looking for like-minded people, I'd seriously consider self-worship or cloning.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    If you're looking for like-minded people, I'd seriously consider self-worship or cloning.
    Something tells me you already considered it.

After reading your OP, I was going to suggest that you investigate the Quakers, and then I saw it came up #2 on your BeliefNet test. They're not as dogmatic as many religions, and it's as close as I can think of to a religion that lets you have both your personal relationship with God as well as a community.

I've had many of the same feelings as you have on this subject. I definitely believe in God, and I think that even empirically the existence of God is as likely as not. But I'm less convinced by the particular dogma of any individual religion. I was raised Catholic, and out of familiarity and tradition I'll still go to a Catholic church if I want to go to a church, but I think if I'm anything, I'm a Deist. You might be one too.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    After reading your OP, I was going to suggest that you investigate the Quakers, and then I saw it came up #2 on your BeliefNet test. They're not as dogmatic as many religions, and it's as close as I can think of to a religion that lets you have both your personal relationship with God as well as a community.

I've had many of the same feelings as you have on this subject. I definitely believe in God, and I think that even empirically the existence of God is as likely as not. But I'm less convinced by the particular dogma of any individual religion. I was raised Catholic, and out of familiarity and tradition I'll still go to a Catholic church if I want to go to a church, but I think if I'm anything, I'm a Deist. You might be one too.
    The best thing to do, I think, is to research the top results I got, and see which one best suits me. I haven't considered deism... but it's something I'll research as well. If anything, the knowledge gained will be worth it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The dichotomy between religion and loving God or a personal relationship with God isnt one which I entertain really.

Its a little like saying why would you have an interest in politics or ideology if you can have a personal relationship with your local politician or neighbourhood politicos.
    I think if you want to compare religion to politics to illuminate this concept, a more apt comparison would be, say, approving of Obama as president while thinking the Democratic party is BS. When people embrace God and not religion, it's about the perceived disconnect between God and religion. It's like a singer with a crazy fan club. You can be a fan of the singer's work while wanting to keep your distance from the nutsos in the fan club. I don't think I should have to be bound by the rules of a compromised, human construct like a religion in order to have access to God. God and religion are related but not inextricably linked concepts.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jelly View Post
    But my thing is to treat others how you want to be treated.
    Then it means your moral values result from Kant rather than from Christianity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categorical_imperative
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that she's looking for an affiliation with like-minded people, though not necessarily of a religious nature. That way, she can have some form of support in an appropriate atmosphere. Humans, while they may be greasy disease laden animals, are also gregarious, which allows them to amplify their disturbing wails in chorus.
    That's exactly what I thought when I first discovered this thread.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    That's exactly what I thought when I first discovered this thread.
    Lol.