User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I was thinking about this last night, it might be more possible in the US than anyplace else but there arent a lot of new Churches or religions coming into existence these days.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Seems like there are quite a bit of Unitarian Universalism suggestions here... I went and took the Beliefnet Belief-O-Matic quiz to see what I came out as, just out of sheer curiosity... the top 10 results are:

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
    2. Liberal Quakers (93%)
    3. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (91%)
    4. Secular Humanism (78%)
    5. Neo-Pagan (74%)
    6. New Age (69%)
    7. Reform Judaism (63%)
    8. Orthodox Quaker (62%)
    9. Theravada Buddhism (60%)
    10. New Thought (59%)

On that site, from looking at the descriptions of Unitarian Universalism, and Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants, they seem the closest to my beliefs. Two routes to explore. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what varieties of Protestants are considered liberal or mainline?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I always read Quaker as Quacker.

Sorry not sorry Ivy.

As for CF, I'm still a bit confused as to why you need a religion per se, and not just continue to have, seek, and deepen a personal relationship with God. But of those choices, UU seems to be what you're looking for.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    As for CF, I'm still a bit confused as to why you need a religion per se, and not just continue to have, seek, and deepen a personal relationship with God. But of those choices, UU seems to be what you're looking for.
    ^ This.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    have you tried looking into unitarian universalism? they welcome people of all religions and emphasize personal choice and individual spiritual growth. i attend uu services when the mood strikes me.

http://www.uua.org/beliefs/6798.shtml
    I was going to suggest this.. though I decided to read through the thread first. Good thing I did.

EDIT: I also felt very welcome in a Reformed Jewish Temple, they seem to be very progressive. I'm not sure how this sort of thing would play out in the long run, though.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I can totally understand the need for SOMETHING, even if it doesn't make any logical sense to you whatsoever. I almost think that by this point that the need for some sort of beleif in something bigger is inborn in humanity thanks to centuries upon centuries of beleiving in something

I have a thread from a year ago on the same topic here... more bluntly phrased as "what sort of bastard god would make someone who WANTS to beleive in something and feels a need to, but just can't?!?"
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that she's looking for an affiliation with like-minded people, though not necessarily of a religious nature. That way, she can have some form of support in an appropriate atmosphere. Humans, while they may be greasy disease laden animals, are also gregarious, which allows them to amplify their disturbing wails in chorus.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    Seems like there are quite a bit of Unitarian Universalism suggestions here... I went and took the Beliefnet Belief-O-Matic quiz to see what I came out as, just out of sheer curiosity... the top 10 results are:

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
    2. Liberal Quakers (93%)
    3. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (91%)
    4. Secular Humanism (78%)
    5. Neo-Pagan (74%)
    6. New Age (69%)
    7. Reform Judaism (63%)
    8. Orthodox Quaker (62%)
    9. Theravada Buddhism (60%)
    10. New Thought (59%)

On that site, from looking at the descriptions of Unitarian Universalism, and Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants, they seem the closest to my beliefs. Two routes to explore. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what varieties of Protestants are considered liberal or mainline?
    Here.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that she's looking for an affiliation with like-minded people, though not necessarily of a religious nature. That way, she can have some form of support in an appropriate atmosphere. Humans, while they may be greasy disease laden animals, are also gregarious, which allows them to amplify their disturbing wails in chorus.
    LOL!!!!

Yes, you are correct though, I am looking for affiliation with like-minded people, definitely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    LOL!!!!

Yes, you are correct though, I am looking for affiliation with like-minded people, definitely.
    Now we are kin. Or as the young ones say, "yo dawg oh shite mofo can't believe youdid damn snap wanna hook up?"