Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default What is art?

why isn't art beautiful anymore? why are modern artists so indulging of the grotesque, the ordinary and the base? why is art no longer used to inspire to a higher ideal, beauty, or motivation? has art become an expression of shame or hopelessness?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Art is what you make of it.

With that I ask...What is beautiful to you? What is ugly to you? What is ordinary to you? What are these "higher ordeals" to you? What type of expressions connotes shame or hopelessness to you?

Now, what can these other people see that you can't see?

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    why isn't art beautiful anymore? why are modern artists so indulging of the grotesque, the ordinary and the base? why is art no longer used to inspire to a higher ideal, beauty, or motivation? has art become an expression of shame or hopelessness?
    I think current artists cover a VERY, VERY wide variety of subjects, and styles... And to generalize all of it into a few adjectives is impossible. And, the obvious... Just because YOU draw no inspiration from it, does not mean that others don't. I don't think the majority of art has any sort of outwardly defined/external meaning, beauty, or ideal. Art is what you make of it yourself, internally.

Also, this thread made me think of this:
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I think current artists cover a VERY, VERY wide variety of subjects, and styles... And to generalize all of it into a few adjectives is impossible. And, the obvious... Just because YOU draw no inspiration from it, does not mean that others don't. I don't think the majority of art has any sort of outwardly defined/external meaning, beauty, or ideal. Art is what you make of it yourself, internally.

Also, this thread made me think of this:
    there are many artists still producing beautiful art, but the general trend is towards to grotesque
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

there are many artists still producing beautiful art, but the general trend is towards to grotesque
    And grotesque can't be beautiful...... why?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Rave View Post
    Art is what you make of it.

With that I ask...What is beautiful to you? What is ugly to you? What is ordinary to you? What are these "higher ordeals" to you? What type of expressions connotes shame or hopelessness to you?

Now, what can these other people see that you can't see?
    my argument is that what is beautiful is not completely subjective. for instance, humans are psychologically designed to think that clean things are more beautiful than things that are dirty or that people who smile are better looking than people who don't. more subjectively, people are designed to think that ideal is more interesting than ordinary or that pleasant is more beautiful than disgusting.
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

And grotesque can't be beautiful...... why?
    the definition of beautiful
    having beauty; having qualities that give great pleasure or satisfaction to see, hear, think about, etc.; delighting the senses or mind: a beautiful dress; a beautiful speech.

excellent of its kind: a beautiful putt on the seventh hole; The chef served us a beautiful roast of beef.

wonderful; very pleasing or satisfying.
    the definition of grotesque

odd or unnatural in shape, appearance, or character; fantastically ugly or absurd; bizarre.
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

my argument is that what is beautiful is not completely subjective. for instance, humans are psychologically designed to think that clean things are more beautiful than things that are dirty or that people who smile are better looking than people who don't. more subjectively, people are designed to think that ideal is more interesting than ordinary or that pleasant is more beautiful than disgusting.
    We can keep going in circles if you want.
    What is clean? What is dirty?
    What is ideal to you? What is ordinary to you?
    What is pleasant to you? What is disgusting to you?

Let us put it this way. From what I remember you, elfboy, said that you were gay. What do you think of it? What do others think of it? Do you think it is beautiful? Do others think it is beautiful? Do people think two guys or two girls making out is hot or disgusting? Is it grotesque to you or is it grotesque to someone else?

the definition of beautiful
    And you gave me a definition because? I want your definition of beautiful and grotesque, not someone elses definition.

One person may very well see an angel as beautiful while another sees the angel as grotesque, which is it? How do you describe an angel? What makes the angel beautiful?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

We can keep going in circles if you want.
    What is clean? What is dirty?
    What is ideal to you? What is ordinary to you?
    What is pleasant to you? What is disgusting to you?

Let us put it this way. From what I remember you, elfboy, said that you were gay. What do you think of it? What do others think of it? Do you think it is beautiful? Do others think it is beautiful? Do people think two guys or two girls making out is hot or disgusting? Is it grotesque to you or is it grotesque to someone else?

And you gave me a definition because? I want your definition of beautiful and grotesque, not someone elses definition.

One person may very well see an angel as beautiful while another sees the angel as grotesque which is it?
    although I don't pretend to be able to define these things in every thing I see around me, I think I have a good grasp intuitively. my point however, is simply that they can to an extent be objectively defined. it's common sense for instance, that an artist painting flies swarming around a pile of feces knows that this is not something that is clean or beautiful
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Art is something authentic and genuine that conveys a powerful idea and/or emotion through various mediums, such as music, painting, dancing, or poetry.

Art makes you feel. Art comes from your soul. It is not something that can be defined by one person.

There is 80's pop that is art to me, son, hush your mouth.

And for that matter, sometimes what is ugly is THE TRUTH. If art is ugly but it also conveys something genuine, something real about the human experience, then it's still art.

That's art to me - it's in the authenticity of expression and communication of feeling.

That being said, I don't like really abstract art. I think it's dumb. Like blotches on a canvas. Mmkay. No.