User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What is art?

Away with the fairies Array Southern Kross's Avatar
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    ^^^ I get nostalgic for the world we lost.. the value of information seems to have deflated, but I think everbody sufficiently old feels that way. Wonder what the timline for 1880 would be.

9am - Heard crickets chirping.
    11:30 - Heard crickets chirping.

Actually, most people back then played their own music. We may be heading that direction again, self expression seems to be more widespread now than in the 90's. Which deflates the value of expression?
    Yeah, but I do try not to fall too far into the "everything is crap and meaningless now" trap. There are positives with the sheer level of access to artistic expression but it does get me down all the same
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    why isn't art beautiful anymore? why are modern artists so indulging of the grotesque, the ordinary and the base? why is art no longer used to inspire to a higher ideal, beauty, or motivation? has art become an expression of shame or hopelessness?
    Because we have grown up. We no longer need beautiful fairy tales, we no longer need ideals to cover the workings of abusing and authoritarian institutions. We can see the world as it is without the mask of 'beauty', and this gives us hope.

Freaking Ratchet Array Rail Tracer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Art has lost some sacredness in all this. Artists focus more on mimicking other successful styles and generating buzz or controversy, rather than actual creative authenticity and/or innovation. It is more about shallow semi-intellectual ideas, and to a degree, shock factor, rather than being rooted in emotional truth - consequently everything becomes trite and hollow.
    4 chords, enough said.

Still, I did have to remember a song from memory just to find songs I listened to as a child.