User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: What is art?

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    ?

I'm all about crude statements. I r confuze.

I just meant to not assume that matchy-matchy bathrooms was the SJ idea of aesthetics. Apparently we misunderstood one another.
    My bad. Toilet seat covers still stand

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    why isn't art beautiful anymore? why are modern artists so indulging of the grotesque, the ordinary and the base? why is art no longer used to inspire to a higher ideal, beauty, or motivation? has art become an expression of shame or hopelessness?
    What is ordinary can be beautiful. Stunningly so. Perhaps more than lofty, fancy, elaborate things.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Arguably there's more quality deep introspective art in the world being produced right now than ever. I think it's true.

It's only that unless you actually try and seek it, most of the art you see will be part of a marketing campaign somewhere, designed for the lowest common denominator. It's great for 14 year olds and dumb 40 years olds, and to make money, but just because paintings, abstract art, sculpting, romanticism, expressionist, post modern etc... hold an extremely small market compared to just a couple artists on the Top 40 doesn't mean it's not out there.

Back in the day when there wasn't electricity and mass communication, the popular art had to deep because there wasn't as much to do in your leisure time, or as much of it. Today's Michelangelo no one would notice.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Arguably there's more quality deep introspective art in the world being produced right now than ever. I think it's true.

It's only that unless you actually try and seek it, most of the art you see will be part of a marketing campaign somewhere, designed for the lowest common denominator. It's great for 14 year olds and dumb 40 years olds, and to make money, but just because paintings, abstract art, sculpting, romanticism, expressionist, post modern etc... hold an extremely small market compared to just a couple artists on the Top 40 doesn't mean it's not out there.

Back in the day when there wasn't electricity and mass communication, the popular art had to deep because there wasn't as much to do in your leisure time, or as much of it. Today's Michelangelo no one would notice.
    If people are desperate for those type of art, heading to a local museum of sorts or a gallery showcasing an artist works is an ideal setting. While it isn't as grand as the Sistine Chapel, it still warrants a lot of awe considering how some things like blowing glass sculptures can take a lifetime to fully master. I was required to see Dale Chihuly's work when his gallery was at S.F.. And really, to say something like this sounds easy or not as inspiring as the old ages is to truly not know how long some of these things can take.

If art has served its purpose, it has served its purpose. Whether to the few or to the crowd. If art was directed towards children, it has served its purpose. If it was directed towards the crowd, it has served its purpose. If it was directed towards the "elites" it has served its purpose. If it was made to inspire, it has served its purpose. Take that cross up there for example, it looks like a "t" what is so special about it? It has meaning. Otherwise, it looks like the letter "t".

Smile Do you find me plausible - am I a work of art?

All art is a lie.

For instance, the art of drawing or photography collapses three dimensions into two. Of course this is a very clever lie, but a lie nonetheless.

And the only thing that matters with a lie is whether it is plausible or implausible.

I always ask a pretty girl, "Would I lie to you?". And then I reply to my own question by saying, "Only if I could get away with it". In other words, is my lie to a pretty girl, plausible or implausible? And of course it is all in the eye of the beholder - does she believe my lie - is my lie plausible. And if it is plausible, then my lie is art.

And in the same way all religion is a lie - a lie that is plausible to some and implausible to others. Some us find Ganesh, the elephant headed God, implausible; and others find the Trinity implausible. But a billion Hindus find the Hindu Gods plausible, and about a billion Christians find the Trinity plausible.

But always remember, and never forget, that propaganda is neither true nor false, but only plausible or implausible.

So let me ask you, face to face, eyeball to eyeball, do you find me plausible?

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    All art is a lie.

For instance, the art of drawing or photography collapses three dimensions into two. Of course this is a very clever lie, but a lie nonetheless.

And the only thing that matters with a lie is whether it is plausible or implausible.

I always ask a pretty girl, "Would I lie to you?". And then I reply to my own question by saying, "Only if I could get away with it". In other words, is my lie to a pretty girl, plausible or implausible? And of course it is all in the eye of the beholder - does she believe my lie - is my lie plausible. And if it is plausible, then my lie is art.

And in the same way all religion is a lie - a lie that is plausible to some and implausible to others. Some us find Ganesh, the elephant headed God, implausible; and others find the Trinity implausible. But a billion Hindus find the Hindu Gods plausible, and about a billion Christians find the Trinity plausible.

But always remember, and never forget, that propaganda is neither true nor false, but only plausible or implausible.

So let me ask you, face to face, eyeball to eyeball, do you find me plausible?
    you're such a Ti user
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I think modern culture in general has become too clever, contemptuous and self-referential. Everything is an in-joke of an in-joke; parody of parody; abstract of abstract. Its all become too conceptual and smug. There needs to be more purity and less intellectualism. That said, I worked in a photo gallery/digital printing studio for a year - I saw a lot of 'artwork' that was too pretty-pretty and lacked complexity and artistic vision. That isn't much better.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Art is what opens up possibilities. It is both indirect and spot-on. Art is also a reflection of the artist's experiences and generation. If art is done right, it cannot be replicated.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I think modern culture in general has become too clever, contemptuous and self-referential. Everything is an in-joke of an in-joke; parody of parody; abstract of abstract. Its all become too conceptual and smug. There needs to be more purity and less intellectualism. That said, I worked in a photo gallery/digital printing studio for a year - I saw a lot of 'artwork' that was too pretty-pretty and lacked complexity and artistic vision. That isn't much better.
    So modern art has been infected with hipster-dom?