User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 53

Thread: What is art?

  1. #11
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    although I don't pretend to be able to define these things in every thing I see around me, I think I have a good grasp intuitively. my point however, is simply that they can to an extent be objectively defined. it's common sense for instance, that an artist painting flies swarming around a pile of feces knows that this is not something that is clean or beautiful
    What is common sense?

    Is the focus the feces? Or is the focus towards the swarm? Why are the flies swarming the feces?

    Is it a representation of mankind swarming over what they can to survive much like how many people my age work? Is it describing the mentality of 3rd world countries versus dominant countries? Is it saying "one mans trash is another man's treasure"?

    What I sees is not
    What you see.

    What Marmie sees is not
    What I see.

    What you see is not
    What Patches see.

  2. #12
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    although I don't pretend to be able to define these things in every thing I see around me, I think I have a good grasp intuitively. my point however, is simply that they can to an extent be objectively defined. it's common sense for instance, that an artist painting flies swarming around a pile of feces knows that this is not something that is clean or beautiful
    I think what you're describing is aesthetics. It defines beauty and "taste." I am of the opinion it is strongly connected to Si (this is why people keep telling you you're ISFJ, okay? but it's alright because NFPs have Fi/Si which can make us aesthetes as well) ...what is aesthetically pleasing is one way of defining art. But it is not the only way.

    I appreciate aesthetics as well. A sense of order, symmetry, form, function, aaaah. Matchy matchy. Quality, refinement. Less is more. That kind of thing.

    I understand, but I don't think it is the totality of what is "art."

  3. #13
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I think what you're describing is aesthetics. It defines beauty and "taste." I am of the opinion it is strongly connected to Si (this is why people keep telling you you're ISFJ, okay? but it's alright because NFPs have Fi/Si which can make us aesthetes as well) ...what is aesthetically pleasing is one way of defining art. But it is not the only way.

    I appreciate aesthetics as well. A sense of order, symmetry, form, function, aaaah. Matchy matchy. Quality, refinement. Less is more. That kind of thing.

    I understand, but I don't think it is the totality of what is "art."
    that is one of the reasons I'm reconsidering INFP. Fi/Si is interested in just what you mentioned. I dislike modern art because I believe much of it is ignoble and lacking inspiration of any positive kind.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  4. #14
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    that is one of the reasons I'm reconsidering INFP. Fi/Si is interested in just what you mentioned. I dislike modern art because I believe much of it is ignoble and lacking inspiration of any positive kind.
    I have a lot of Si for an ENFP, too.

    Except I want to sing and dance and beat people up too much to be an INFP.

  5. #15
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I have a lot of Si for an ENFP, too.

    Except I want to sing and dance and beat people up too much to be an INFP.
    wanting to beat up people is ENFP? I would think a lot of INFPs want to beat people up
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  6. #16
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    wanting to beat up people is ENFP? I would think a lot of INFPs want to beat people up
    Haha...I just meant that I'm very expressive and forthcoming. You seem to be this way as well.

    Otherwise I'd go INFP, yes.

  7. #17
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I think what you're describing is aesthetics. It defines beauty and "taste." I am of the opinion it is strongly connected to Si (this is why people keep telling you you're ISFJ, okay? but it's alright because NFPs have Fi/Si which can make us aesthetes as well) ...what is aesthetically pleasing is one way of defining art. But it is not the only way.

    I appreciate aesthetics as well. A sense of order, symmetry, form, function, aaaah. Matchy matchy. Quality, refinement. Less is more. That kind of thing.

    I understand, but I don't think it is the totality of what is "art."
    I am not the type to like such "art" as toilet seat covers, but whatever float that person's boat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    that is one of the reasons I'm reconsidering INFP. Fi/Si is interested in just what you mentioned. I dislike modern art because I believe much of it is ignoble and lacking inspiration of any positive kind.
    And that is what YOU see.

    Do you get it?

  8. #18
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Burning Rave View Post
    I am not the type to like such "art" as toilet seat covers, but whatever float that person's boat.
    Aesthetics isn't about toilet seat covers, bro. It's about things like clean lines and visual balance and musical harmony. I'm a little annoyed that you jump from Si to fluffy toilet covers. We're going to have to work on that. Just because your Aunt Greta's Si likes toilet seat covers doesn't mean that's what Si universally considers "aesthetics."

  9. #19
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    why isn't art beautiful anymore? why are modern artists so indulging of the grotesque, the ordinary and the base? why is art no longer used to inspire to a higher ideal, beauty, or motivation? has art become an expression of shame or hopelessness?
    All started with Picasso and the movement away from the real. However, even in the real, art has been grotesque. Re-creation to the core. You relish in the sadness of death. Problem?

    Art depicts everything conceivable. You may as well whine about whining. Why are you whining? You are lamenting? Now you know. You spread your message like an artist, but in my eyes lacking beauty and complexity. Be angry at me and know pain, know the pain of an artist in the midst of his critics.

    Oh, but you think there is a cause to the feeling of misfortune? You think times are a'changing? They may appear to be, but pain whipped us away from anything that could cause us harm the minute nerve endings were invented.

    Why not start a thread about society's sorrow and stop beating around the bush? Glamorization and sophistication? Do you assume a form you do not possess? What do you really know about art?

  10. #20
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Aesthetics isn't about toilet seat covers, bro. It's about things like clean lines and visual balance and musical harmony. I'm a little annoyed that you jump from Si to fluffy toilet covers. We're going to have to work on that. Just because your Aunt Greta's Si likes toilet seat covers doesn't mean that's what Si universally considers "aesthetics."
    Hey, toilet seat covers are symmetrical. Some hard, some soft. Some painted black, some painted white. Some of these toilet cover seats are the color of dung. Many curve similarly to a horseshoe.

    We were talking about modern art (or rather, elfboy was.) Have you not see toilet seat covers on display(whether online or in real life, whether in a store, museum, or in your local restroom?)

    Hahahahaha

    And that is what I am getting at (bolded part)

    I can avoid making crude statements but..... what does it take to put out something as simple as what you see?

Similar Threads

  1. What Is Art? Who or What Determines This?
    By Dreamer in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-08-2017, 02:10 PM
  2. [Jung] each types response to 'what is art'?
    By SwimmerGal97 in forum Myers-Briggs Type Profiles
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-20-2017, 10:14 PM
  3. What is the difference between SFP art and NFP art?
    By PikUpYourPantsPatrol in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2016, 09:24 PM
  4. What is the aesthetic goal of plastic art?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 02:14 PM
  5. What is art?
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 02:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO