123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Default What does it mean to die?

Sooner or later it happens to us all. Time runs out. We reach the end. Life comes to a sudden and irreversible point.

While the means differ, the conclusion is always the same - all of us will one day die.

So, what does human death mean to you? Is death simply the logical conclusion to a physical beginning - the inevitable expression of being gifted with life, or is it something else? Something more holistic - perhaps the chance to experience singularity with a creator, or for resurrection in a context entirely distinct from your previous life?

Maybe death is not necessarily oppositional to life. Maybe life and death are just instrinsic to what it means to be an organism. Death as energy reconfiguring itself towards equilibrium.

What do you believe?

The parts of my brain that produce the illusion that I call 'I' stop working, the heart stops beating, the oxygen stops running: shutdown.

I don't understand it. I guess we don't know until it happens to us...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    The parts of my brain that produce the illusion that I call 'I' stop working, the heart stops beating, the oxygen stops running: shutdown.
    So, you favor a material approach. What we can measure is what we will experience. Physical transition from cogniton to non-cognition as a consequence of profound biological failure. That the parts of your neural sentience responsible for the electrical impulses commonly referred to as "consciousness" simply end.

What would make you change your belief?

What has led you to it?

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

It means that I will cease to exist, and very well that could happen in a very 'real' way, even with my consciousness - I am no more. My awareness/self is wiped out of the universe. I used to be more alarmed at this, until I realized that it would be no different from sleep - each night when I sleep I am effectively non-existent, as if I died in my sleep I would have no idea. Just as when I wake up I effectively have no idea what happened while I was sleeping.. because I wasn't aware of any of it.

But it's also possible that my consciousness will continue on in some way. I won't know until it happens, or when it happens, nothing will happen other than what I said above. Basically I don't have any beliefs regarding what will happen after I die, because I don't think I'm in a position to really know. Of course I think it would be rather nice for my consciousness to continue ever on, in some capacity/form, but I'm also not banking on that. What happens happens.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Death is the moment at which people who lived their life thinking about death are happy for a nanosecond and then dead
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    It means that I will cease to exist, and very well that could happen in a very 'real' way, even with my consciousness - I am no more. My awareness/self is wiped out of the universe. I used to be more alarmed at this, until I realized that it would be no different from sleep - each night when I sleep I am effectively non-existent, as if I died in my sleep I would have no idea. Just as when I wake up I effectively have no idea what happened while I was sleeping.. because I wasn't aware of any of it.

But it's also possible that my consciousness will continue on in some way. I won't know until it happens, or when it happens, nothing will happen other than what I said above. Basically I don't have any beliefs regarding what will happen after I die, because I don't think I'm in a position to really know. Of course I think it would be rather nice for my consciousness to continue ever on, in some capacity/form, but I'm also not banking on that. What happens happens.
    Being open to possibility remains a hallmark feature of critical thought - kudos.

As an aside unrelated to your point, I find for some that the answer to death - and its transcendance - sits vested in the concept of a deity. That our ability to guarantee the survival of our conscious thought is somehow related to our worldly acceptance of doctrine.

Why is mortality something to be hurdled? Why would perpetual life necessarily be a reward?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Being open to possibility remains a hallmark of sure insanity tho aswell
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

It seems that quantum theory could be interpreted in a way where nothing exists at all if there is no one to experience it. From this point of view it could be that my consciousness is creating the world now, and this just created stuff goes both forward and backward in time. So, universe is created because of consciousness. True or not, this makes me very uncertain to say anything about death.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Why is mortality something to be hurdled? Why would perpetual life necessarily be a reward?
    I don't know. For myself, I love life/mortality. There are so many things I love and I find so much beauty in this world. At this juncture, I would hate to give it up. Later on in life, should I live to be old enough, I may find myself growing weary of it, but as of now - in the big picture - I've never viewed mortality as something I want to put behind me. I don't view a 'better place' ahead of me, because I think I can create/find a beautiful place/life here, now.

As for the concept of eternity/perpetual life, if consciousness were of the same.. vein and space/time awareness, then it really doesn't seem that appealing and I don't know why I'd want to have an eternity of it.

I've never really understood the reward concept, but then I am also one of the lucky minority on this planet who isn't struggling for survival and I live an exceedingly privileged life compared to most. From the perspective of many people on this planet, I could see why it might be a psychological necessity to want to rid oneself of mortality - because the reality of mortality for many people on this planet is pretty abysmal. I'm lucky and I actually have the... luxury of contemplating things like this, rather than my very survival.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ