First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I have had the same thoughts, the same comparisons to sleep, etc. There's a reason that sleep is seen as a mini-death and that death is sometimes referred to as sleep. I used to have trouble when I was young going to sleep, because I did not know if I would wake up again.
    To your point, life existed for billions of years before our notice. Why then should we care if it persists for billions after?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I have a hard time saying I believe in specific details that I cannot confirm are true, even if they are palatable. Religious beliefs seem to be that way for me. I use patterns in religious systems to help me determine how to live and to help me define my hopes and joys, but the reality is that I don't know what is true and what is not in terms of the specifics; death will provide a final answer that unfortunately at that point in time will no longer have meaning. All that matters to me now is how I live now, not what happens after death. (I don't even understand people who can focus on eternal reward as a motivator, and so loudly proclaim something that might or might not be true.) When I get there, then I'll be subject to what it is, and if I'm still conscious, then it'll be something new to work through.
    Living in the now is a hard screw to turn. It's in our nature to seek patterns in existence as to improve and protect our present quality of our survival.

If you get there before I do, let me know the answer Jennifer.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Thats not what quantum theorists say. they say there are a lot of possibilities but only so much are true at a given level of dimension
    I'm aware, entropie. It was a joke.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

You should be concerned with some more worldly problemns again there over the Ocean. This has gotten way to far out with all that quantum physics and life after death, this is so far beyond us still, we are totally not living in reality no more.

Last time I started a discussion about nuclear waste on perC they even tried to connect that to quantum physics and how the latter one is the solution to the former one. That's so way out, come back home spacepilot
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

You should be concerned with some more worldly problemns again there over the Ocean. This has gotten way to far out with all that quantum physics and life after death, this is so far beyond us still, we are totally not living in reality no more.
    Who says we're not? Why are these exclusive terms? This thread is merely an exploration of belief about what happens after we die. I don't recall mentioning an in-thread mandate to offer opinion at the expense of more practical ideologies.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

We go back to the rounding thought of the consciousness which causes us to experience what we perceive. Experience is always played within every part of our lives including sleep. With such, losing consciousness would be losing the ability to experience and losing the ability to experience cannot be conjured up within us as we have never experienced 'not experiencing'. Losing the present is losing the future and losing the future would be losing the flow of time and with such, time would either cease to exist or perhaps restart. If restarting, perhaps we relive our lives again from the beginning.
    Others who take the outside stance cannot be 100% sure they are correct as they do not know what lies beyond their own conscious and therefore can only assume the derived conclusions they solely believe in. One who believes others exist in the same way he/she does when each is to his/her own universe by one's own perceptions

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    What would make you change your belief?
    Evidence suggesting that it is wrong.

What has led you to it?
    Plausibility. I am presented with basically two possible solutions to the mind-body problem: monism, dualism. Neuroscience tells us that the mind is constantly being sustained and altered by and in the brain. Thus it follows that, if the brain stops working, the mind stops being, thereby confirming monism. Dualists hold that the mind (or soul) lives on after death; and although I think that there are very basal, very simple reasons for humans to believe in such concepts, I have yet to see evidence supporting dualism (holy books are neither evidence nor proof).

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Who says we're not? Why are these exclusive terms? This thread is merely an exploration of belief about what happens after we die. I don't recall mentioning an in-thread mandate to offer opinion at the expense of more practical ideologies.
    Well the difference is if you ask your question on an american forum you get 90% of the people at least thinking about it, while when you'ld post it on a german forum you could be happy to get even an answer. I am not saying that should ever change, but we both can learn that way. The one can become more idealistic and the other one more realistic, you know ? I tho only lately have the feeling many peeps over the Ocean dont even want realism, but mere want to live in a Dreamworld which they created for yourself.

I am still figuring this out and assuming a lot, it's just only a concerning development. When I made nuclear waste a topic on perC people answered with things they thought were facts that were either falsely communicated thru the media, a serious lack in their education (tho they claimed they went to elite universities) or a self-induced dreamworld that had nothing to do with reality.

So before I can really discuss with you about an afterlife, I'ld need to know on which level we are debating

Anew Leaf

Sooner or later it happens to us all. Time runs out. We reach the end. Life comes to a sudden and irreversible point.

While the means differ, the conclusion is always the same - all of us will one day die.

So, what does human death mean to you? Is death simply the logical conclusion to a physical beginning - the inevitable expression of being gifted with life, or is it something else? Something more holistic - perhaps the chance to experience singularity with a creator, or for resurrection in a context entirely distinct from your previous life?

Maybe death is not necessarily oppositional to life. Maybe life and death are just instrinsic to what it means to be an organism. Death as energy reconfiguring itself towards equilibrium.

What do you believe?
    I do not fear death, or what comes afterwards. I fear the 5 minutes that will lead up to my death. Which means what I actually fear is life.

What do I believe?

I believe that nothing is for certain, no matter how strongly I may believe in something. Maybe when I die it will all fade to black and I will cease to exist. Maybe I will die and awake in the land of ponies. Maybe I will die and I will reappear in what I would consider heaven. Who knows but those who have gone before us.

Based on my own life experiences, however, this is what I currently believe: My physical self will eventually cease to operate, thus freeing my soul. The good parts of my soul will continue on to whatever heaven actually is. There I will be reunited with friends and family.

What I would really like after this, is to be able to explore the universe for eternity. I would love to see planets up close and get to really understand how huge this universe is. I want to learn about physics, and biology, and paint sunsets on planets. I want to see how rocks are made beneath the earth, and I want to watch time pass from a perspective outside time.

That's just me.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

The problem with that theory is: it makes you very uncertain of saying anything else tho aswell. Because outside of your perception anything is possible then and if you operate within such given parameters, you go crazy cause then you have nothing left you can think of as being real. Tho that may be a great thing to do for a pghilosopher on cocaine, I think for the common people like me that is just too much to *not* take
    I don't know... to me the normal options seem so depressive. I don't actually believe that my consciousness will survive death, since it seems connected to this body in many ways. But some sort of a consciousness might survive. Or if not survive, then reappear someway. It would be weird if consciousness appeared only once and then disappeared, considering the range of theoretical possibilities there are.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I don't know... to me the normal options seem so depressive. I don't actually believe that my consciousness will survive death, since it seems connected to this body in many ways. But some sort of a consciousness might survive. Or if not survive, then reappear someway. It would be weird if consciousness appeared only once and then disappeared, considering the range of theoretical possibilities there are.
    I agree with you 1000%. Imo its neither the right way to say after death your life ends nor is it the right way to believe in an afterlife. I'ld like to concentrate on the existing things which are the things I can actively change and one of them is that I can make myself immortal by passing on my knowledge to others like my children or by just writing a book. Dont get me wrong I dont mean that in the "build me a statue" kinda way, I mean that people who fear that their existence could just end thru death have no clue how much power in passing on their being they have on a daily basis