• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Christianity Q & A

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
Have a question about Christianity? Tired of dealing with religious nonsense? Join the club. I'm here to help you out and answer your questions, concerns, and complaints. I don't have a Christian education but I grew up the son of a pastor so I have learned a lot as it pertains to real life and I'll answer to the best of my ability (including my references). Praise the Lord!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know a christian who was a blatant jerk towards me and as far as I can tell towards the people around him. He loves God to be sure, but doesn't seem to love people the way god commands him to love his children. He comes off as very unloving. Do you think God will let him into heaven considering this pitfall?

G

Ginkgo

Have a question about Christianity? Tired of dealing with religious nonsense? Join the club. I'm here to help you out and answer your questions, concerns, and complaints. I don't have a Christian education but I grew up the son of a pastor so I have learned a lot as it pertains to real life and I'll answer to the best of my ability (including my references). Praise the Lord!

What do you think about Islam?

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
How do we know the way in which the Bible has to be interpreted?

The hard answer to this is to study. For most verses this means reading the scripture before and after to understand what is being talked about. If you're really serious, you can read the original translations, but I suggest buying a commentary where someone has already done all the work of going through the available evidence and translations and provided an educated explanation. The best thing a person can do is pray and ask God to reveal the meaning to your heart as you read.

Something which is rarely brought up is what the Bible is about. Many people think of the Bible as a collection of religious rules or a guide to being good. This is simply not true. The Bible is about one thing and one thing only: Jesus Christ. In other words, reading the Bible in any perspective but the person who it is about will not really make sense. The Bible does talk about the creation of the universe, but more importantly it starts with the first humans, what happened, and then the plan of action God immediately set in motion to reconcile humanity. So the Old Testament is mainly the progression of Jesus' ancestors from generation to generation leading up to Jesus' birth, life, death, burial, resurrection, and ascension, and henceforth with is the New Testament. The exception is revelation, which is about the imminent return of Jesus, so unlike the rest of the N.T. it has not yet happened. But ultimately, everything in the Bible is about Jesus.

A

A window to the soul

Should I forgive the pastor for his sins just as God forgives him? Does God expect a pastor to be perfect? I hear some Christians talk about head knowledge vs. heart knowledge; so what does that mean to you? Do your references come with an official seal of approval?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
... ultimately, everything in the Bible is about Jesus.

What about all the parts that don't talk about Jesus? Why do the Jews, who seem to basically share an Old Testament with today's Christians, not accept Jesus nor see him in the Old Testamant?

Nicodemus

The hard answer to this is to study. For most verses this means reading the scripture before and after to understand what is being talked about. If you're really serious, you can read the original translations, but I suggest buying a commentary where someone has already done all the work of going through the available evidence and translations and provided an educated explanation. The best thing a person can do is pray and ask God to reveal the meaning to your heart as you read.
Okay, let us have a look at a few examples:

The Bible is about one thing and one thing only: Jesus Christ.
Where does it say that? I would like to read the passage.

The Bible does talk about the creation of the universe
As far as I know, it talkes about the creation of the world or, going by what is depicted, the creation of one planet. How do you know that the literal sense is not the true sense of the words?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
What's your take on the Council of Nicaea, particularly on the subjects of Arianism, and homoousia vs. homoiousia?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just to get some perspective. What denomenation do you belong to? How do they feel about Catholics? What are their views on baptism? What is their view on communion?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why do most people think the bible is the word of god, but then think they're allowed to ignore some silly rules that don't make sense anymore (or that seem tiresome), but not others?

Why are so many Christians intolerant of non-christians who don't follow christian rules, given that Jesus preached tolerance and humility (and getting your own house in order before you tear someone else's house down)?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i would be happy to give somewhat sarcastic catholic answers to questions, if anyone is interested.

example: why do catholic churches have kneelers?
so it's easier for altar boys...

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Many people here are opposed to rape jokes.

:shrug:

i'd say that most catholics would be opposed to rape jokes, but that certainly hasn't stopped sexual assault from occurring within the church. i'm sorry if i've offended anyone, but at the same time, the idea that not making jokes does anything to prevent rape is... well, completely wrong, lol. imo, all subjects should be open for joking about. it's like voldemort's name in harry potter. to restrict speech is to perpetuate taboo.

S

Sniffles

Catholic jokes

A nun at a Catholic school asked her students what they want to be when they grow up.

Little Suzy declares, "I want to be a prostitute."

"What did you say?!" asks the nun, totally shocked.

"I said I want to be a prostitute," Suzy repeats.

"Oh, thank heavens," says the nun. "I thought you said 'a Protestant!'"

------

Two men considering a religious vocation were having a conversation. "What is similar about the Jesuit and Dominican Orders? " the one asked.

The second replied, "Well, they were both founded by Spaniards -- St. Dominic for the Dominicans, and St. Ignatius of Loyola for the Jesuits. They were also both founded to combat heresy -- the Dominicans to fight the Albigensians, and the Jesuits to fight the Protestants."

"What is different about the Jesuit and Dominican Orders?"

"Met any Albigensians lately?"

-------

A Jesuit, a Dominican, and a Trappist were marooned on a desert island. They found a magic lamp, and after some discussion decided to rub it. Lo and behold, a genie appeared and offered them three wishes. They decided it was only fair that they could each have one wish. The Jezzie said he wanted to teach at the world's most famous university, and poof, he was gone! The Dominican wished to preach in the world's largest church, and poof, he was gone! Then the Trappist said, "Gee, I already got my wish!"

------

A Jewish couple has a son who is a holy terror. When he gets to be of age, he's kicked out of every school they put him in. Finally desperate, the father goes to the Rabbi for advice and the Rabbi says put him in the Catholic school. Shocked, the father asks if the Rabbi sure. "Yes" is the reply, so the father takes him to the nuns and leaves.

An hour goes by, then two hours, lunch time and finally at three the son comes in says "Good afternoon Papa, good afternoon Mama," goes to the table and starts on his homework. The father is amazed and finally ask why he stayed in school all day and why he is behaving so well. His son looks up and says "Papa when you left, the Mother Superior told me that they did not allow rowdy boys, then she took me to my room. Papa they mean business! They've got a Jew nailed on a Cross in every room!"

The altar boy jokes have seriously gotten old.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
geez, you try to have a little fun and everyone shoots you down.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know a christian who was a blatant jerk towards me and as far as I can tell towards the people around him. He loves God to be sure, but doesn't seem to love people the way god commands him to love his children. He comes off as very unloving. Do you think God will let him into heaven considering this pitfall?

From what you say I'd ask myself if he really loves God because if someone has a love for God you would think they would want to show that love towards people. Plus being a jerk and unloving towards people is exactly opposite of what God asks of believers.
I don't know, there are lots of people who claim to love God but they really don't even believe, so it's hard to really know.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
geez, you try to have a little fun and everyone shoots you down.

:pats head: Dont' feel bad. Catholics are a very discerning crowd, after all they've been hearing Catholic jokes their entire lives.