User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    STP

Default Christianity Q & A

Have a question about Christianity? Tired of dealing with religious nonsense? Join the club. I'm here to help you out and answer your questions, concerns, and complaints. I don't have a Christian education but I grew up the son of a pastor so I have learned a lot as it pertains to real life and I'll answer to the best of my ability (including my references). Praise the Lord!

How do we know the way in which the Bible has to be interpreted?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I know a christian who was a blatant jerk towards me and as far as I can tell towards the people around him. He loves God to be sure, but doesn't seem to love people the way god commands him to love his children. He comes off as very unloving. Do you think God will let him into heaven considering this pitfall?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by jwn86 View Post
    Have a question about Christianity? Tired of dealing with religious nonsense? Join the club. I'm here to help you out and answer your questions, concerns, and complaints. I don't have a Christian education but I grew up the son of a pastor so I have learned a lot as it pertains to real life and I'll answer to the best of my ability (including my references). Praise the Lord!
    What do you think about Islam?

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    How do we know the way in which the Bible has to be interpreted?
    The hard answer to this is to study. For most verses this means reading the scripture before and after to understand what is being talked about. If you're really serious, you can read the original translations, but I suggest buying a commentary where someone has already done all the work of going through the available evidence and translations and provided an educated explanation. The best thing a person can do is pray and ask God to reveal the meaning to your heart as you read.

Something which is rarely brought up is what the Bible is about. Many people think of the Bible as a collection of religious rules or a guide to being good. This is simply not true. The Bible is about one thing and one thing only: Jesus Christ. In other words, reading the Bible in any perspective but the person who it is about will not really make sense. The Bible does talk about the creation of the universe, but more importantly it starts with the first humans, what happened, and then the plan of action God immediately set in motion to reconcile humanity. So the Old Testament is mainly the progression of Jesus' ancestors from generation to generation leading up to Jesus' birth, life, death, burial, resurrection, and ascension, and henceforth with is the New Testament. The exception is revelation, which is about the imminent return of Jesus, so unlike the rest of the N.T. it has not yet happened. But ultimately, everything in the Bible is about Jesus.

A window to the soul

Should I forgive the pastor for his sins just as God forgives him? Does God expect a pastor to be perfect? I hear some Christians talk about head knowledge vs. heart knowledge; so what does that mean to you? Do your references come with an official seal of approval?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Why do you assume the bible as fact?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

... ultimately, everything in the Bible is about Jesus.
    What about all the parts that don't talk about Jesus? Why do the Jews, who seem to basically share an Old Testament with today's Christians, not accept Jesus nor see him in the Old Testamant?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

The hard answer to this is to study. For most verses this means reading the scripture before and after to understand what is being talked about. If you're really serious, you can read the original translations, but I suggest buying a commentary where someone has already done all the work of going through the available evidence and translations and provided an educated explanation. The best thing a person can do is pray and ask God to reveal the meaning to your heart as you read.
    Okay, let us have a look at a few examples:

The Bible is about one thing and one thing only: Jesus Christ.
    Where does it say that? I would like to read the passage.

The Bible does talk about the creation of the universe
    As far as I know, it talkes about the creation of the world or, going by what is depicted, the creation of one planet. How do you know that the literal sense is not the true sense of the words?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

What's your take on the Council of Nicaea, particularly on the subjects of Arianism, and homoousia vs. homoiousia?