• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Christianity Q & A

Mole

Permabanned
how are we supposed to beleive in a god who can't even follow his own religious rules? (i.e. not killing people or judging them and such)

what are your thoughts on people who use the bible as an excuse to do bad things to other people or judge them as inferior (i.e. the Inquisition, the Crusades, the polarization of the African population due to the Hammitic myth and the enslaving of native peoples... not to mention varioius genocides and such)? :huh:

what explains the difference between the Asshole god of the old testament and the Hippie god of the new testament?

Yes, and why did neither Jesus nor his disciples say a word against institutional slavery?

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
Trying to get past the religious metaphors -are you saying that anyone who follows rules laid out in the bible isn't a "real" Christian? That lowers the population.....dramatically. Why are you allowed to define what "christian" means for everyone, when the majority of self-professed christians would (arguably, I suppose) disagree with that definition?

Yes it does. That is because nobody follows the rules. Nobody is perfect. Everyone needs a relationship with Jesus. Those who have a spiritual relationship with Jesus and follow Him are Christians.

Mole

Permabanned
Yes it does. That is because nobody follows the rules. Nobody is perfect. Everyone needs a relationship with Jesus. Those who have a spiritual relationship with Jesus and follow Him are Christians.

Please! Christianity is an institution, or a number of institutions.

And this is inevitable as all religions are started by a charismatic individual but if they are to survive, they must institutionalise and bureaucratise. And Christianity, being the oldest living bureaucracy, has survived for two millennia. And that is the only reason you can call yourself a Christian today and answer all our questions about Christianity.

However it should be repeated that the Q & A method is an age-old form of evangelisation.

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
Being one of the three great Abrahamic religions, did Christianity start with God and Abraham?

Christianity started with the creation of the universe.

If God ordered Abraham to murder his son to test Abraham's obedience, is Christianity morally compromised from the very beginning?

That depends on what you believe morality is. IMO, there wouldn't be morality without God, so obedience to God and morality are synonymous and what Abraham did was moral considering who God is.

how are we supposed to beleive in a god who can't even follow his own religious rules? (i.e. not killing people or judging them and such)

what are your thoughts on people who use the bible as an excuse to do bad things to other people or judge them as inferior (i.e. the Inquisition, the Crusades, the polarization of the African population due to the Hammitic myth and the enslaving of native peoples... not to mention varioius genocides and such)? :huh:

what explains the difference between the Asshole god of the old testament and the Hippie god of the new testament?

Lots of people claim to do things because "God told me to" based on a delusion or a figment of their imagination.

God's rules are all based on obeying Him so it's not possible for them to be contradictory if you consider the heart of each matter.

There is no difference. God in the OT poured out wrath and anger, and then demonstrated humility coming to earth as Jesus. but God's wrath was yet again poured out, this time onto Jesus, so that man would no longer need to suffer. Jesus will return at the end times in a glorified state (as God was in the O.T.) to wage war against satan. See Revelation 19:

"I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations."

Sound a little more like the O.T. God?

Yes, and why did neither Jesus nor his disciples say a word against institutional slavery?

Jesus came to set the souls of man free from the slavery of sin.

Please! Christianity is an institution, or a number of institutions.

And this is inevitable as all religions are started by a charismatic individual but if they are to survive, they must institutionalise and bureaucratise. And Christianity, being the oldest living bureaucracy, has survived for two millennia. And that is the only reason you can call yourself a Christian today and answer all our questions about Christianity.

However it should be repeated that the Q & A method is an age-old form of evangelisation.

I disagree but I can see this is a matter of opinion and I'd rather this not turn into a lengthy discussion. Maybe a mod could split this off onto it's own topic?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I disagree but I can see this is a matter of opinion and I'd rather this not turn into a lengthy discussion. Maybe a mod could split this off onto it's own topic?

I would, but I am not sure what even to split out -- i.e., what the actual specific topic is. (Christianity as an institution?)

So I would recommend just not discussing that direction further in this thread, and just starting a whole new thread with the OP framed the way you want, to start the ball rolling.

A

A window to the soul

Christianity is about Jesus, not His followers, but pastors, teachers, church elders, and leaders are judged more harshly by God. Everyone needs forgiveness, although depending on the mistakes a person has made, disqualification from or dismissal can be appropriate for these positions.

Head knowledge vs. heart knowledge is like information vs. experience. It's a matter of knowing Jesus personally rather than just knowing about Him. God calls us to draw near to Him in heart, and to fall in love with Him.

I've missed you...

:cry:

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Christianity is about Jesus, not His followers, but pastors, teachers, church elders, and leaders are judged more harshly by God. Everyone needs forgiveness, although depending on the mistakes a person has made, disqualification from or dismissal can be appropriate for these positions.

Christianity has about as much to do with Christ as Marxism has with Marx.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't hold a denomination and I don't consider them to be Biblical. There is only 1 true church, the church of the Holy Spirit. God's sovereignty is not separated by denominations, generations or age, nationality, races, genders, etc.

Does your father share this opinion? I know many Christians do not. And, what are your views on baptism and communion?

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP

Why should any person deny themselves salvation because those who presume to follow Jesus are confused? If Christianity were about Christians (sinners who have been saved by the generosity of God) then who could be saved? Christianity is about Jesus, and when this fact is overlooked because of Christians (whether they are true Christians or not ) you are allowing themselves to be disqualified from salvation because of the very reason salvation is offered to everyone! Do not let yourself be disqualified.

Does your father share this opinion? I know many Christians do not. And, what are your views on baptism and communion?

No, he doesn't. My father was free-methodist as a pastor, now he goes to a non-denominational church.

I don't want to sound conceited, but I don't consider this an opinion, I know it to be true. The church is people... we call it the body of Christ, because Christ is no longer on earth in the flesh. Jesus' spirit, the Holy Spirit, was left behind, and lives on in the 'body' of Christ, the church. What the true church has in common is the spirit of Christ, and there is only one God and therefore one spirit. How could it be divided in order to be classified by denomination? Although, I am not entirely against denominations... they each have a unique style of worship and teaching. However, where the denominations disagree on theology, I cannot support that, because there is only one spirit of the living God, and He cannot disagree with Himself. In fact, when God makes a promise, He swears by Himself. Hopefully this makes sense.

Baptism is a direct result of God's direction to baptize people by water. First, water, then the Holy Spirit, which is following Jesus... Jesus was baptized by John the baptist, and when He came up out of the water, the Holy Spirit descended upon Him 'like a dove'. At the end times, God says He will baptize everyone by fire, and the faith of the person in Jesus Christ will be tested.

Reference for the above:
1 Corinthians 3

The Church and Its Leaders

1 Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ. 2 I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. 3 You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans? 4 For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere human beings?

5 What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. 6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. 7 So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. 9 For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.

10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

Communion signifies breaking of Jesus' body and the pouring out of Jesus' blood in the new covenant between God and man. It's something the church body should do regularly to humble and refocus ourselves on the new covenant, without which we could not live again.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't want to sound conceited, but I don't consider this an opinion, I know it to be true.

Why do religious people like to "know" that they're right despite many different people believing in contradictory religions? I have an idea but it wouldn't be polite to share it.

You're not really helping your cause with your answers here, lol.

Lark

Why do religious people like to "know" that they're right despite many different people believing in contradictory religions? I have an idea but it wouldn't be polite to share it.

I agree with that.

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP

Self-righteousness, pride, ego, etc. It is common in religion.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Why are so many Christians intolerant of non-christians who don't follow christian rules, given that Jesus preached tolerance and humility (and getting your own house in order before you tear someone else's house down)?

Sounds like a problem with people, not anything that has to do with religion.

Why does anyone act like they know their right despite alternate plausible explanations?

I'm going to stay away from this thread though in lieu of the fact that religion threads frequently turn into thinly veiled excuses to rip on religion.

Mole

Permabanned

Marx said that it would be necessary to destroy whole peoples and that us just what the Marxists did - they killed one hundred million of their own people over seventy years.

And Jesus said not a word against institutional slavery which lasted until 1833.

Mole

Permabanned
Christianity started with the creation of the universe.

That depends on what you believe morality is. IMO, there wouldn't be morality without God, so obedience to God and morality are synonymous and what Abraham did was moral considering who God is.

Look, arguing with you is like shooting fish in a barrel - it doesn't seem very fair to me.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds like a problem with people, not anything that has to do with religion.
My bad, I guess I missed all the hordes of atheists picketing churches that perform straight, Christian marriages.

Why does anyone act like they know their right despite alternate plausible explanations?
Exactly.

I'm going to stay away from this thread though in lieu of the fact that religion threads frequently turn into thinly veiled excuses to rip on religion.
I did not get the impression that this thread was intended only for questions along the lines of "oh man, why is christianity so freakin awesome?". The OP invited questioning of religion, and that's what he's gotten.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
When Goethe wrote the book "The sorrows of young Werther" later a guy called Ulrich Plenzdorf read it and wrote a book called "The new sorrows of young W.". In his book the protagonist was sitting on the toilet in the beginning and reading the old Goethe book. He figured that he had no toilet paper and had to use the cover of the book. In the course of the story then the protagonist always reads the book again and he is fascinated how well the author of that old book does understand the problems the protagonist has with life. His only problem is, he doesnt know who wrote the book because he's wiped his rear with the cover.

So here's my question, why would people be pissed when I write a book in which the protagonist would wipe his rear with the bible ?

Lark

When Goethe wrote the book "The sorrows of young Werther" later a guy called Ulrich Plenzdorf read it and wrote a book called "The new sorrows of young W.". In his book the protagonist was sitting on the toilet in the beginning and reading the old Goethe book. He figured that he had no toilet paper and had to use the cover of the book. In the course of the story then the protagonist always reads the book again and he is fascinated how well the author of that old book does understand the problems the protagonist has with life. His only problem is, he doesnt know who wrote the book because he's wiped his rear with the cover.

So here's my question, why would people be pissed when I write a book in which the protagonist would wipe his rear with the bible ?

Because the bible isnt Goethe? They dont know the story?

A

A window to the soul

For Christians, God is truth. Truth's origin is God, its incarnation is Jesus Christ, and its present manifestation is the written Word of God, the Bible.