User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 64

  1. #51
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwn86 View Post
    I don't want to sound conceited, but I don't consider this an opinion, I know it to be true.
    Why do religious people like to "know" that they're right despite many different people believing in contradictory religions? I have an idea but it wouldn't be polite to share it.

    You're not really helping your cause with your answers here, lol.
    -end of thread-

  2. #52
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Why do religious people like to "know" that they're right despite many different people believing in contradictory religions? I have an idea but it wouldn't be polite to share it.

    You're not really helping your cause with your answers here, lol.
    I agree with that.

  3. #53
    Senior Member Sanctus Iacobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Why do religious people like to "know" that they're right despite many different people believing in contradictory religions? I have an idea but it wouldn't be polite to share it.

    You're not really helping your cause with your answers here, lol.
    Self-righteousness, pride, ego, etc. It is common in religion.

  4. #54
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Why are so many Christians intolerant of non-christians who don't follow christian rules, given that Jesus preached tolerance and humility (and getting your own house in order before you tear someone else's house down)?
    Sounds like a problem with people, not anything that has to do with religion.

    Why do religious people like to "know" that they're right despite many different people believing in contradictory religions? I have an idea but it wouldn't be polite to share it.
    Why does anyone act like they know their right despite alternate plausible explanations?

    I'm going to stay away from this thread though in lieu of the fact that religion threads frequently turn into thinly veiled excuses to rip on religion.

  5. #55
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Christianity has about as much to do with Christ as Marxism has with Marx.
    Marx said that it would be necessary to destroy whole peoples and that us just what the Marxists did - they killed one hundred million of their own people over seventy years.

    And Jesus said not a word against institutional slavery which lasted until 1833.

  6. #56
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwn86 View Post
    Christianity started with the creation of the universe.

    That depends on what you believe morality is. IMO, there wouldn't be morality without God, so obedience to God and morality are synonymous and what Abraham did was moral considering who God is.
    Look, arguing with you is like shooting fish in a barrel - it doesn't seem very fair to me.

  7. #57
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Sounds like a problem with people, not anything that has to do with religion.
    My bad, I guess I missed all the hordes of atheists picketing churches that perform straight, Christian marriages.

    Why does anyone act like they know their right despite alternate plausible explanations?
    Exactly.

    I'm going to stay away from this thread though in lieu of the fact that religion threads frequently turn into thinly veiled excuses to rip on religion.
    I did not get the impression that this thread was intended only for questions along the lines of "oh man, why is christianity so freakin awesome?". The OP invited questioning of religion, and that's what he's gotten.
    -end of thread-

  8. #58
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    When Goethe wrote the book "The sorrows of young Werther" later a guy called Ulrich Plenzdorf read it and wrote a book called "The new sorrows of young W.". In his book the protagonist was sitting on the toilet in the beginning and reading the old Goethe book. He figured that he had no toilet paper and had to use the cover of the book. In the course of the story then the protagonist always reads the book again and he is fascinated how well the author of that old book does understand the problems the protagonist has with life. His only problem is, he doesnt know who wrote the book because he's wiped his rear with the cover.

    So here's my question, why would people be pissed when I write a book in which the protagonist would wipe his rear with the bible ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  9. #59
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    When Goethe wrote the book "The sorrows of young Werther" later a guy called Ulrich Plenzdorf read it and wrote a book called "The new sorrows of young W.". In his book the protagonist was sitting on the toilet in the beginning and reading the old Goethe book. He figured that he had no toilet paper and had to use the cover of the book. In the course of the story then the protagonist always reads the book again and he is fascinated how well the author of that old book does understand the problems the protagonist has with life. His only problem is, he doesnt know who wrote the book because he's wiped his rear with the cover.

    So here's my question, why would people be pissed when I write a book in which the protagonist would wipe his rear with the bible ?
    Because the bible isnt Goethe? They dont know the story?

  10. #60
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    For Christians, God is truth. Truth's origin is God, its incarnation is Jesus Christ, and its present manifestation is the written Word of God, the Bible.

Similar Threads

  1. types and christianity
    By Blackwater in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 04:12 PM
  2. Agnostic Devout (Christian)
    By Eileen in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 05:28 AM
  3. Christianity Today Poll (same-sex marriages)
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 08:53 AM
  4. Web Link: MBTI and Christianity?
    By Usehername in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 03:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO