This person needs your forgiveness.
    He gets the care he gives.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jwn86 View Post

The Bible is about Jesus, the laws of the Bible are about Jesus (God), and the life of Jesus fulfilled the requirements of the law so that those who believe in Jesus are free from the penalty of it. Christians inevitably follow the law by the power of God's spirit, not by personal effort, which is religion and sin in it's own respects.

The people you describe are living under the curse of the law. There are a lot of religious beliefs which are labeled Christian and it is a trap that many of us get caught in. True Christians live and breathe by the enabling of the spirit of the living God, in the reality of Jesus' risen nature, not by their own effort or religious practices.
    Trying to get past the religious metaphors -are you saying that anyone who follows rules laid out in the bible isn't a "real" Christian? That lowers the population.....dramatically. Why are you allowed to define what "christian" means for everyone, when the majority of self-professed christians would (arguably, I suppose) disagree with that definition?
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Q: Who would win in a fist fight, Peter or Paul? I think Paul personally but that's just me.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

Sniffles

Yeah I think I'd have to go with Paul too.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Why are you allowed to define what "christian" means for everyone, when the majority of self-professed christians would (arguably, I suppose) disagree with that definition?
    Because he is The Evangelist. Here to save us all.

Cool

Being one of the three great Abrahamic religions, did Christianity start with God and Abraham?

Cool

If God ordered Abraham to murder his son to test Abraham's obedience, is Christianity morally compromised from the very beginning?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I do find it more common for protestants to take jabs at catholics though, rather than the other way around.
    This is natural enough as it is the job of protestants to protest against catholicism.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

how are we supposed to beleive in a god who can't even follow his own religious rules? (i.e. not killing people or judging them and such)

what are your thoughts on people who use the bible as an excuse to do bad things to other people or judge them as inferior (i.e. the Inquisition, the Crusades, the polarization of the African population due to the Hammitic myth and the enslaving of native peoples... not to mention varioius genocides and such)?

what explains the difference between the Asshole god of the old testament and the Hippie god of the new testament?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Two men considering a religious vocation were having a conversation. "What is similar about the Jesuit and Dominican Orders? " the one asked.

The second replied, "Well, they were both founded by Spaniards -- St. Dominic for the Dominicans, and St. Ignatius of Loyola for the Jesuits. They were also both founded to combat heresy -- the Dominicans to fight the Albigensians, and the Jesuits to fight the Protestants."

"What is different about the Jesuit and Dominican Orders?"

"Met any Albigensians lately?"
    This is interesting from the mathematical point of view because the Dominicans invented non scalar networks almost a thousand years ago, while the mathematics of non scalar networks were only created in 1998.

Usually it is the other way around and the mathes are invented first then the application comes along in fifty or a hundred years. But the Dominicans were almost a thousand years ahead of the mathematics.

Of course the Dominicans used their discovery of non scalar networks to hunt and kill Albigensians to such an effect that they are sparse on the ground even today, as you so cogently point out.