User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Fixation on fashion

How do you view fashion and spending large amounts of money towards it? Big name brands, staying current on trends. Lots of people devote too much money and energy into this and some would call it superficial materialism but I'm willing to bet there are counter arguments from members here. Not only the issue of spending money towards fashionable apparel but also the narcissistic aspect to it. Why do people feel they need to parade around with money signs on their collar, or spend ample amounts of time at a beauty parlor or in front of the mirror? Are we that important and is it necessary to display that image of prestige? Is that even what it is? What do you think?

MBTI
    INFP

I think that for some people, fashion is an end in and of itself. It allows one to promote a unique sense of style and taste. I used to look down upon people that were slaves to fashion, but I have grown to even admire some of my friends and relatives that know how to look tastefully put together.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't think it's a bad thing to do in some cases. If the people around you only respect you when you behave that way, then what else are you going to do? Of course they probably shouldn't be basing their respect on that, but some people are only happy when accepted/liked, and if they can only be accepted/liked by following such trends, then I don't see any reason they shouldn't do so (unless it puts their safety in jeopardy).

People who don't need to be accepted/liked as much usually don't follow such trends, and I think that's fine. It lets you know what they value and what they don't... which is something you can usually tell from people's clothing. People often dress similarly to someone to make it clear to people that they value the same things, and differently to indicate the opposite.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm not very concerned with fashion. I try to look neat, be presentable, be clean, but I never buy name brand (although I have many hand me downs of them) or spend a lot of money. I did learn to sew though, as certain things really irritate me (like all the good shirts being guys. So I take old guy shirts and change the shape), and I like pockets. ^.^ I see trendy clothes as a waste of money, so I try to get things that will last a few years, at least.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Clothing serves at least 4 often overlapping functions that I can think of:

1. Comfort/warmth

2. Status/affiliations

3. Artistic outlet

4. Courtship displays

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Clothing serves at least 4 often overlapping functions that I can think of:

1. Comfort/warmth

2. Status/affiliations

3. Artistic outlet

4. Courtship displays

Thanks but, what exactly does that have to do with the subject? Your first reason/picture for instance is "warmth/comfort." There are non trendy/inexpensive ways to take care of that but some people find a Gucci fur coat necessary.

heart on fire

I like to buy all my clothes (excpet under garments) at the thrift store because it is just dumb to pay so much for clothes. I find brand new things all the time there with the tags still on for about 1/8 what they origanally cost. Compulsive shoppers can't even be bothered to wear all the stuff they buy before they need to clean out the closet to buy more. Their waste is my gain.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Thanks but, what exactly does that have to do with the subject?
    Seriously?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Seriously?
    Yes...

I wasn't asking what clothes are used for.

MBTI
    ISTP

To give you my perspective: I buy new clothes when old ones wear out, and I wear T-shirts and jeans 99% of the time. I'd estimate I spend less than $150 a year on clothes. I have worn the same exact type of sneaker for three years now because it fits me well. The only clothing items I've ever paid more than $50 for are a leather jacket and a suit.

Now then, I personally find fashion to be useless, and just a ploy to make people waste money, but it's what interests some people. I buy new gadgets all the time even though there's nothing wrong with the old ones, some people buy new clothes all the time. Not much different to me.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%