• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fixation on fashion

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
How do you view fashion and spending large amounts of money towards it? Big name brands, staying current on trends. Lots of people devote too much money and energy into this and some would call it superficial materialism but I'm willing to bet there are counter arguments from members here. Not only the issue of spending money towards fashionable apparel but also the narcissistic aspect to it. Why do people feel they need to parade around with money signs on their collar, or spend ample amounts of time at a beauty parlor or in front of the mirror? Are we that important and is it necessary to display that image of prestige? Is that even what it is? What do you think?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I think that for some people, fashion is an end in and of itself. It allows one to promote a unique sense of style and taste. I used to look down upon people that were slaves to fashion, but I have grown to even admire some of my friends and relatives that know how to look tastefully put together.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't think it's a bad thing to do in some cases. If the people around you only respect you when you behave that way, then what else are you going to do? Of course they probably shouldn't be basing their respect on that, but some people are only happy when accepted/liked, and if they can only be accepted/liked by following such trends, then I don't see any reason they shouldn't do so (unless it puts their safety in jeopardy).

People who don't need to be accepted/liked as much usually don't follow such trends, and I think that's fine. It lets you know what they value and what they don't... which is something you can usually tell from people's clothing. People often dress similarly to someone to make it clear to people that they value the same things, and differently to indicate the opposite.

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not very concerned with fashion. I try to look neat, be presentable, be clean, but I never buy name brand (although I have many hand me downs of them) or spend a lot of money. I did learn to sew though, as certain things really irritate me (like all the good shirts being guys. So I take old guy shirts and change the shape), and I like pockets. ^.^ I see trendy clothes as a waste of money, so I try to get things that will last a few years, at least.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Clothing serves at least 4 often overlapping functions that I can think of:

1. Comfort/warmth

2. Status/affiliations

jubileedoor.jpg
Seized_bandidos_colors.jpg
1152538000_3221.jpg

3. Artistic outlet

a_clothes_show_470x353.jpg

4. Courtship displays

cleavage_parade.jpg

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Clothing serves at least 4 often overlapping functions that I can think of:

1. Comfort/warmth

2. Status/affiliations

jubileedoor.jpg
Seized_bandidos_colors.jpg
1152538000_3221.jpg

3. Artistic outlet

a_clothes_show_470x353.jpg

4. Courtship displays

cleavage_parade.jpg
Thanks but, what exactly does that have to do with the subject? Your first reason/picture for instance is "warmth/comfort." There are non trendy/inexpensive ways to take care of that but some people find a Gucci fur coat necessary.

heart

heart on fire
I like to buy all my clothes (excpet under garments) at the thrift store because it is just dumb to pay so much for clothes. I find brand new things all the time there with the tags still on for about 1/8 what they origanally cost. Compulsive shoppers can't even be bothered to wear all the stuff they buy before they need to clean out the closet to buy more. Their waste is my gain.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
To give you my perspective: I buy new clothes when old ones wear out, and I wear T-shirts and jeans 99% of the time. I'd estimate I spend less than $150 a year on clothes. I have worn the same exact type of sneaker for three years now because it fits me well. The only clothing items I've ever paid more than $50 for are a leather jacket and a suit.

Now then, I personally find fashion to be useless, and just a ploy to make people waste money, but it's what interests some people. I buy new gadgets all the time even though there's nothing wrong with the old ones, some people buy new clothes all the time. Not much different to me.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
The first post seems likely to scare off people who enjoy fashion, just to warn you if you were looking for answers from that point of view.

sassafrassquatch

Status.

People will take whatever that can get and hold it over others as a display of their own superiority. Expensive clothes, athletic abilities, obscure musical tastes, their IQ, even their MBTI type. People like to be at the top of the heap even if they have to create a new heap to do it. It could also be a self image thing for class conscious people who can't be seen as lower class or poor. Materialistic people who grew up poor and never had anything nice could use fashion as a way to make up for it.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never applied to fashion, and never will. Rarely do good things come out of fashion, and if I'm ever conforming to something, I'm verbally attacked or criticised by my friends or family. This is by no means the reason I don't conform, however. I see fashion as a pointless money-wasting attachment.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
How do you view fashion and spending large amounts of money towards it? Big name brands, staying current on trends. Lots of people devote too much money and energy into this and some would call it superficial materialism but I'm willing to bet there are counter arguments from members here. Not only the issue of spending money towards fashionable apparel but also the narcissistic aspect to it. Why do people feel they need to parade around with money signs on their collar, or spend ample amounts of time at a beauty parlor or in front of the mirror? Are we that important and is it necessary to display that image of prestige? Is that even what it is? What do you think?

I love fashion and try to stay current. I don't have the money to replace my wardrobe every season, but neither do most people. If I did have more disposable income I'd probably buy more clothes. If that's shallow then, meh, I'm not really concerned about it. Not everyone is into philosophy and science. I don't like to have brand names on my clothing but if I had the opportunity to have a Hermes bag I'd certainly snatch it up. I like getting complimented when I've put together a particularly brilliant outfit, I like expressing myself through my clothes, makeup, and hair. For example, I'll wear a graphic tee to express my political opinion or for people to know a bit about my sense of humor. When I buy makeup it's usually dramatic and intense colors that I wouldn't wear to work and I use them after work or on the weekends when I feel like it. I like to wear classy and stylish clothes.

You asked why is it necessary to display a certain image. Edahn's reply gives you reasons why people use clothing as markers, artifacts, symbols, expressions of who they are, who they want to be, or affiliation. The same way a wedding band is a marker of being married or wearing a uniform if you're in the military. This is when you move beyond the basics of just keeping your naked ass from shining in the sun and protection from the elements. Even nudists don't wear clothes as a statement. Your clothing tells people a lot about you, even if you have a blatant disregard for fashion it shows up in how you dress if someone is around you consistently enough. You're still making a statement.

As for people who spend large amounts of money on clothes and jewelry the only thing I've got to say about that is if they've paid all there other financial obligations it's their money to do with as they please. Yes I think there are more worthwhile and wiser ways to spend extra income (investing, saving, charity) but what can you do about it? I allot a certain amount out of my paycheck to get blown on "entertainment" which can include clothes. I think Americans have more disposable income than what we did in the past and people are getting creative in the ways to spend this extra money. It even has an official name: conspicuous consumption. So the next question is why do people engage in conspicuous consumption? Have fun! :)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm not really into fashion, but I'm a housewife. I don't have to be. It's socially appropriate for a truck driver's wife and stay-at-home mom to go around in jeans, tees, and pony tails except for special occasions.

When a person's career and/or social life depends, in part, on them looking nice and appropriate, then I can understand investing the necessary time and money into doing so.

As a hobby, it's not my thing and if someone can only talk about that, then my eyes are eventually going to start glazing over and I'm probably going to think of them as superficial and shallow. Do I otherwise care if someone else is into fashion? Nah. Why should I? I have hobbies, too.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I don't have a problem with fashion as a hobby (although it isn't one of my hobbies). If people enjoy fashion, thats perfectly good, I don't see how it's any different than... home aesthetics or something like that. Its just a hobby about making something look good by altering it in different ways -in this case, it's yourself. Some of my friends are interested in fashion to some degree, and thats cool with me.

A fixation? Would that be like... someone being obsessed with fashion and how they look? That probably isn't healthy, but it depends on a few other variables, like whether or not they care how others perceive them and how much if they do.

Conspicuous consumption is rediculous to me, because it is being too concentrated on showing off the other people. Showing off is fine, like say you are into fashion, its fine if you want to wear your clothes and have everyone see them. Its fine if you are an actor and you'd like everyone to come see your movie. These are cases where it seems there is something the person does and they'd like to be seen and recognized for their work/hobby.

At what point does it turn into, as Wikipedia refers to it, "keeping up with the Joneses"? I think its probably unhealthy for people to do things to keep up with and beat or impress people. Its complicated though, because some people get their sense of fulfilment from pleasing others and it isn't neccesarily unhealthy. Is buying a porsche and moving into a huge house unhealthy (I know people who moved out of a regular middle class size house and into a mansion like house and bought a porsche)? Is it unhealthy to want to study in another country at a private boarding school (once again, I know someone... I think he actually wants to go to the exact one the Wikipedia article on status symbols uses an an example :laugh: He definitely wants to go to some kind of swiss boarding school)? Where is the line drawn?

Personally, I'm a fan of the saying "the superior man speaks humbly but acts outstandingly"... I think it was confucious, and for me it means to do incredible things but to remain humble and grounded about it.

By the way, I found this hilarious in the Wiki article for status symbol:

"In a Western society, possessions perceived as status symbols include:

A trophy wife/trophy husband
A large, expensive house.
A grand piano (especially if its owner does not know how to play it).
..."

:laugh: I hate the people on MTV Cribs who have a grand piano they don't know how to play. They look like deuchebags!

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you consider art a form of expression, then fashion is the same thing except you have to pay for it. The fact that fashion is artistic notwithstanding...

I do like to buy clothes that I think look cool and express "me." I smile on the inside. :D

heart

heart on fire
If you consider art a form of expression, then fashion is the same thing except you have to pay for it. The fact that fashion is artistic notwithstanding...

I do like to buy clothes that I think look cool and express "me." I smile on the inside. :D

I agree with this. I think it is a fun way to express one's self to dress in clothes that they like. What I don't like is slavish adherence to fashion set by other people and also how expensive clothes are, especially women's clothing.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Fixation on fashion

I'm too lazy to have a fixation on fashion.
And I might not be rich enough. :laugh:

I think fixation on fashion is ok. Everybody has a different way of expressing themselves. Fashion might be one of them. If you like it then go for it.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't care about brand names or the current fashion trends, I have simple tastes, and I'm extremely cheap, but I do care very much about how things look and feel.

If I had the money I'd probably buy whatever I thought looked best, which would most likely include quite expensive clothes. Now I buy what I need, and spend very little on clothes.

I'm not sure where that puts me.