• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reality Check he's in hell?

Lark

I listened lately to a promo for a book/audiobook called Love Wins by a pastor Rob Bell, I think he's an American, he wrote it apparently in response to an incident during a church art presentation in which someone had created a piece of art which had a quote from Ghandi on it, at the end of the event they found that someone had attached a post it note stating "reality check, he's in hell". This is clearly something which the good pastor really did not approve of and is out of step with his (and my own) understand of God, he considers it quite contradictory and has on the inlay card of the audiobook a quote which I think is designed to make the point:

' "God loves us,
God offers us everlasting life by grace, freely, through no merit on our part.
Unless you do not respond the right way.
Then God will torture you forever.
In Hell."
Huh?'

(Italics in original) I was wondering if anyone would like to talk about this topic, Christian or non-Christian and hopefully Christians of all denominations because I see this view of God and eternity as rooted in misunderstandings, overlaid by time and turmoil but rooted in the schisms and bitterness of the reformation debates about justification and salvation.

When I was at technical college I remember debating these points with protestant friends who laboured under the belief that I would one day convert to protestantism, through a process of being "saved" which they could not explain in all but the vaguest terms and appeared to me to be merely being confirmed within their unique cultural heritage, or burn in hell for all eternity.

They werent bad people, in fact I really believe that one of them was tormented with the concern that their efforts to convert and evangelise would be insufficient and God could be angry with them as a consequence. They stated that Ghandi and others like him who were good people but failed to convert were indeed in hell.

They affirmed that God was loving in so far that he would spare the "saved", a elect, possibly determined before birth, whose actions had no baring on their fate, and whom believers could only hope to be a member of and fear that they were not. There were a lot of people who were damned and some who would become that way by failing to convert or abandoning their faith (no such thing as being a lapsed member of the congregation in those circles).

It made me investigate the various forms of baptism and salvation in my own faith, based upon sacramentalism, tradition and, until lately, acts deemed pleasing to God or Good Deeds, as indicated in scripture and tradition (the RCC has issued clarification that they actually concur with Lutheran teaching about grace rather than good works determining salvation since then). However I personally didnt believe that failing to conform to this pattern would condemn someone to hell, not for a moment.

It seemed like my friend had taken a step beyond even this, which I found absurd for a loving God, the God I read about in bible stories or who Jesus was supposed to represent or was incarnate.

Laterly I discovered more convincing writings by Jesuits who suggested that hell was not God's dungeon but a state of seperateness from God, resulting in misery, which could be this worldly or otherworldly/in an afterlife, the important thing being that it was self-inflicted through a failure to reciprocate love.

I tend to believe this and am more confirmed in it all the time, I know that there are people who will tell me, and they often do, that this is wishful and reductive thinking, that I make an idol which fits my own inclination and human, all to human insights. I dont mind them though. Their mental prison isnt for me. That's my view and you might not share it but what do you think?

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
' "God loves us,
God offers us everlasting life by grace, freely, through no merit on our part.
Unless you do not respond the right way.
Then God will torture you forever.
In Hell."
Huh?'

It seems unfair because the gravity of emotion is centered on us. The reality is that God is the center, so I'll rewrite it:

We are created by God, made for God, and loved by God
God is totally faithful to us, yet we are unfaithful to God
Therefore, eternal destruction is our fair destiny
However, we are loved by God still and God doesn't desire our destruction.
Therefore, God runs after us like a father runs after a child running out into busy traffic.
God allows Himself to be destroyed instead. But God is greater than our eternal destruction, and cancels it out.
We are created by God, made for God, and loved by God, it is only fitting that we worship Him out of a free spirit (we are not forced).

Therefore, we can either choose to receive the cancellation of our destruction or reject it. We choose which path we walk on. Most walk on the path of destruction. Pray that you may walk with Jesus Christ on the narrow path and He will guide you. There is no conceivable reason not to... life and death are set before each one of us, therefore choose life.

Oh, and Ghandi is in hell. So is Buddha, Krishna and Muhammad. As great as each was, they did not have a relationship with Jesus which is the true gravitational center of existence. Would Saturn say to Jupiter, "considering your size, and my rings, surely we're the center of the solar system. we'll revolve around ourselves, and the other planets around us". That wouldn't make sense, we all know the sun is the center of the solar system. So it is with all of existence and Jesus Christ. Yes, that fact is hard on the ego but it is the truth, and the only reality that exists.

Buddhist monk has Near-death experience and sees Buddha burning in hell

The truth is also that if we understand this reality, where the gravity of life is towards life Himself, Jesus Christ, and not on ourselves, we find all the cares and burdens of our life lifted off of us, as we are not designed to carry these things. We are each like a planet in the solar system where we have a gravity on ourselves much greater than our mass. This is why life is inherently so hard. But, if we understand and believe Jesus as God, as the "sun", our mass can revolve around Him and we experience freedom and joy of life just as it was meant to be.

We each seek for the life we're meant to have, but it won't be found until we see Jesus is the center and we set our lives in orbit around Him.

A

Anew Leaf

I listen to an awesome church via podcast with an ENTP head pastor. (The church is only 40 miles from me soo... I am kinda lazy.)

He had a sermon on hell one day that was very interesting. I will paraphrase because I don't remember the exact details. The concept was basically that when we die and are judged, God will refine us like you do with gold. The gold purity stays behind, and the impurities get burned up. So if someone is 99.9% evil, there is still a 0.01% bit of them that gets saved. If someone is 20.7% evil, then the rest gets saved, etc. His theory is then that hell is not necessarily a "real" place in that souls are left to suffer there for eternity... Hell is simply the final separation from God and it lasts for a second, and then that person is no more.

I kind of like that view.

I also have come up with my own viewpoint where we get a final chance to choose God after we die. I don't believe that someone who grew up in the jungles of Indonesia and didn't hear about Jesus, is automatically going to hell. I also don't believe that someone who has had the opportunity to know Jesus and God in America, but went to a church that wasn't really preaching God's word... and therefore turns their back on the idea of Christianity... is automatically going to hell.

I know my own limited capacity for forgiveness and mercy... and even I would not condemn these people to suffering. And I believe and know that God is infinitely more merciful and loving than me on my best day riding on a unicorn could ever be.

So... that's my thought on this. :)

-Fi out.

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
the doctrine of Hell

http://blog.marshillchurch.org/2011/03/15/pastor-mark-on-the-question-of-hell/

answers things like:

“A loving God would not send billions of people to a horrible hell.”
“A loving God would be more tolerant.”
“Hell is mean.”
“Eternal torment in hell is an unjust punishment for people who sin for a few decades.”
Do people who have never heard about Jesus go to hell?

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Where's the proof that all that stuff is the word of God? How do you know some rich dude didn't make the whole story up?

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
There is no hell, there is only a separation from God, most writings of the horrors of hell are only man’s attempt to explain something that no one living is capable of explaining. And God doesn’t send us there.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the concept of hell is one of the primary things that drove me away from Christianity. I undertand several theological aspect of it. But when push comes to shove we're talking about judging someone for an eternety based on a finite time, this does not make sense at all to me. With an omnipotent, omnipresent God, there is no real difference between God judging, or us pushing away. Anyway, it's not something I'm on the fence about, or I feel I have to resolve. There is no hell as the Christians describe it.

Lark

I think the concept of hell is one of the primary things that drove me away from Christianity. I undertand several theological aspect of it. But when push comes to shove we're talking about judging someone for an eternety based on a finite time, this does not make sense at all to me. With an omnipotent, omnipresent God, there is no real difference between God judging, or us pushing away. Anyway, it's not something I'm on the fence about, or I feel I have to resolve. There is no hell as the Christians describe it.

That would depend on the Christians I would suggest, the reality is that you can have as much heaven or hell as you want, in this life or any other life. It isnt really horrible that God has decided that his love for those who choose to live in heaven should mean that those who refuse are excluded from spoiling it for those that do. It is at the very most that is simply natural and logical consequences.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That would depend on the Christians I would suggest, the reality is that you can have as much heaven or hell as you want, in this life or any other life. It isnt really horrible that God has decided that his love for those who choose to live in heaven should mean that those who refuse are excluded from spoiling it for those that do. It is at the very most that is simply natural and logical consequences.

For a God who setup the system, it is horrible. Reasoning:

1. Hell sucks.
2. God is all powerful and all seeing and is ultimately responsible for everything.
3. God is responsible for the existence of hell.
4. God sucks.
5. God cannot suck.
6. Creator of Hell is not God or There is no God or There is no Hell

I know Christians will have issue with number 2. But I intend to hold our creator responsible as I should be held responsible for what I have power over.

SRT

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
?
Laterly I discovered more convincing writings by Jesuits who suggested that hell was not God's dungeon but a state of seperateness from God, resulting in misery, which could be this worldly or otherworldly/in an afterlife, the important thing being that it was self-inflicted through a failure to reciprocate love.

That's certainly an interesting way to look at it. I guess that goes with my view that God reincarnates everyone across multiple lifespans until we've all succeeded in correctly overcoming every obstacle/sin that we come across. At that point we can be allowed to enter Heaven. Think of it like progressing through school. At the end of each year (life), if you've learned what you needed to learn you can then move on to the next year, which will have different challenges for you to pass. If not, you repeat until you learn what it was that you needed to learn.

So I don't think that Hell exists as a location, but rather a metaphor for the troubles that exist in your life that didn't need to be. Which sounds alot like your viewpoint as well.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's certainly an interesting way to look at it. I guess that goes with my view that God reincarnates everyone across multiple lifespans until we've all succeeded in correctly overcoming every obstacle/sin that we come across. At that point we can be allowed to enter Heaven. Think of it like progressing through school. At the end of each year (life), if you've learned what you needed to learn you can then move on to the next year, which will have different challenges for you to pass. If not, you repeat until you learn what it was that you needed to learn.

So I don't think that Hell exists as a location, but rather a metaphor for the troubles that exist in your life that didn't need to be. Which sounds alot like your viewpoint as well.

100% agree with this.

Lark

There is no hell, there is only a separation from God, most writings of the horrors of hell are only man’s attempt to explain something that no one living is capable of explaining. And God doesn’t send us there.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Lark

For a God who setup the system, it is horrible. Reasoning:

1. Hell sucks.
2. God is all powerful and all seeing and is ultimately responsible for everything.
3. God is responsible for the existence of hell.
4. God sucks.
5. God cannot suck.
6. Creator of Hell is not God or There is no God or There is no Hell

I know Christians will have issue with number 2. But I intend to hold our creator responsible as I should be held responsible for what I have power over.

No, you see I consider this a little like suggesting that prisons should not exist because criminals are victims of circumstances or something like that, good people deserve to be spared the prescence of people who are not and persist in their error. That's for as long as they do. I cant see God deciding that eternal punishment is preferable to redemption or restoration or renewal, that's not the message of all the stories in the bible and especially the stories of Jesus. Although I cant see a loving God mixing the truly wicked in with the truly good, it would be a little like a parent repeatedly sending their children to suffer bullying and violence.

Lark

I agree with your last part there but not with the example of schooling or even reincarnation, I dont disbelieve in reincarnation per se because all things are possible to God, however I dont see why it would be a tool employed by God, perhaps but it doesnt seem likely to me and it resonates too much with modern examples or analogies like the school one you give.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, you see I consider this a little like suggesting that prisons should not exist because criminals are victims of circumstances or something like that, good people deserve to be spared the prescence of people who are not and persist in their error. That's for as long as they do. I cant see God deciding that eternal punishment is preferable to redemption or restoration or renewal, that's not the message of all the stories in the bible and especially the stories of Jesus. Although I cant see a loving God mixing the truly wicked in with the truly good, it would be a little like a parent repeatedly sending their children to suffer bullying and violence.

This. I'm not Christian, but in a strange way I really do believe in God. I can't claim to really know anything definitely about God, but I can say 'he is not this' and 'he is not that'. In the end thinking about it isn't terribly necessary, just knowing that doing good is well.. good. This probably doesn't make much sense.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
If something as fundamental as Hell can be interpreted as a metaphor, then isn't it equally valid to treat other Biblical principles as abstract guidelines?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If something as fundamental as Hell can be interpreted as a metaphor, then isn't it equally valid to treat other Biblical principles as abstract guidelines?

I fully advocate this, and so do many people who are Christians.

Lark

This. I'm not Christian, but in a strange way I really do believe in God. I can't claim to really know anything definitely about God, but I can say 'he is not this' and 'he is not that'. In the end thinking about it isn't terribly necessary, just knowing that doing good is well.. good. This probably doesn't make much sense.

I am a Christian, an RC (I know some protestants dont believe them to be the same thing), but I have met a lot of people who share this view here, I dont know why that should actually be the case but its more complex I feel than being alienated from God as an authority principle or traditional associations or "bad religion", why do you feel this way?

My beliefs surrounding God can be summed up in the perspective that God is actually seeking man, not simply man seeking God or having a God shaped hole or things of that nature, although that may be the case and some people may feel that more than others, all the world religions interest me as a consequence. That said I dont believe they all have equal baring and weight or importance.

Lark

I think this depends what you mean, what are "abstract guidelines" as opposed to "principles"? What do you mean by "interpreted as a metaphor"?

I believe that people can have as much hell as they want in this life or the next but I dont mean that it is purely metaphorical or devoid of reality, it is real if you ruin your life and that of others, it is real if others disassociate themselves from you, or you from them, or you from God, and a state of being has been created which will exclude you so long as you persist in your error and wrong doing.

I dont know what abstract guidelines are in the context you mention or how to differentiate between them and principles, I do believe that the bible and other religious sources, and most importantly for me traditions, provide a system of keystones to living a satisfying and happy existence before and after life.