User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I am a Christian, an RC (I know some protestants dont believe them to be the same thing), but I have met a lot of people who share this view here, I dont know why that should actually be the case but its more complex I feel than being alienated from God as an authority principle or traditional associations or "bad religion", why do you feel this way?
    I grew up in a Bible based authoritarian culture and ultimately rejected it. Mainstream Christians will agree with me that the Jehovah's Witnesses are not the answer. What they don't understand is that from neutral mind most religions look the same in spite of any claims of exclusivity.

For Christians supposedly the mark of truth is ultimately guided by the Holy Spirit, since it seems to require faith to recognize true Authority. This smacks to me of typical JW salesmanship. I've seen Holy Spirit in action. Holy Spirit is loneliness, it is the desire to belong to something, to be cared for. It's an act of irrational need.

In spite of my rejection of the exclusivity of Christianity I do believe in Good and believe that there is meaning in life, which for someone concerned about those things is not evident in a purely Materialistic universe. This gives me my syncretic leanings.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jwn86 View Post
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnrJVTSYLr8"]Erasing Hell by Francis Chan[/YOUTUBE]
    I do think there's errors in anthropomorphising God, attributing human, all too human behaviour and thinking to him, although like I've said before you either believe in a vengeful deity or one which is a loving God, I believe that the vengeful deity thesis is fundamentally flawed, erronious, mistaken and its persistence has been a plague upon Christianity and plague upon mankind.

MBTI
    INTj

I think this depends what you mean, what are "abstract guidelines" as opposed to "principles"?
    Simple example would be the church condemning all sorts of sexuality. These values are outdated and serves no useful purpose.

I do think there's errors in anthropomorphising God, attributing human, all too human behaviour and thinking to him, although like I've said before you either believe in a vengeful deity or one which is a loving God, I believe that the vengeful deity thesis is fundamentally flawed, erronious, mistaken and its persistence has been a plague upon Christianity and plague upon mankind.
    Apparently you've never read Ezekiel 25:17.

[YOUTUBE="UmvnXKRfdb8"]Pulp Fiction[/YOUTUBE]
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Simple example would be the church condemning all sorts of sexuality. These values are outdated and serves no useful purpose.

Yeah, alright, carry on with the years of knowledge wasted and ignored approach if that works for you.

MBTI
    INTj

Yeah, alright, carry on with the years of knowledge wasted and ignored approach if that works for you.
    Of course it works. The advancement of knowledge involves adapting to new information. That process has been demonstrated to work much better at converging on the truth than rigid adherence to dogma.

MBTI
    INTj

Of course it works. The advancement of knowledge involves adapting to new information. That process has been demonstrated to work much better at converging on the truth than rigid adherence to dogma.

MBTI
    INFP

I don't understand why death should be the cut off point. Doesn't love keep no record of wrongs, always protects, always trusts, always perseveres, never fails? Why should the loss of the body make a difference to that? Why the divine doorslam, or fire, or worms, or darkness, or whatever? Why the chasm that can't be crossed? Why judgement day? And while we're at it, why is faith without evidence so bloody necessary? Didn't Jesus produce signs so people would believe? If so then clearly he didn't think it'd interfere with faith, or render it invalid.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Why judgement day? And while we're at it, why is faith without evidence so bloody necessary?
    Very convenient, isn't it? How else would a wealthy kings motivate the unwashed massed to sacrifice their lives for him?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Or you could judge innovation as wanting in the balance with tradition.

Its why there's such a thing as college football but no, you know, college Gladiators.