User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SRT View Post
    That's certainly an interesting way to look at it. I guess that goes with my view that God reincarnates everyone across multiple lifespans until we've all succeeded in correctly overcoming every obstacle/sin that we come across. At that point we can be allowed to enter Heaven. Think of it like progressing through school. At the end of each year (life), if you've learned what you needed to learn you can then move on to the next year, which will have different challenges for you to pass. If not, you repeat until you learn what it was that you needed to learn.

So I don't think that Hell exists as a location, but rather a metaphor for the troubles that exist in your life that didn't need to be. Which sounds alot like your viewpoint as well.
    100% agree with this.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy22 View Post
    There is no hell, there is only a separation from God, most writings of the horrors of hell are only man’s attempt to explain something that no one living is capable of explaining. And God doesn’t send us there.
    Yeah, I agree with that.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    For a God who setup the system, it is horrible. Reasoning:

1. Hell sucks.
    2. God is all powerful and all seeing and is ultimately responsible for everything.
    3. God is responsible for the existence of hell.
    4. God sucks.
    5. God cannot suck.
    6. Creator of Hell is not God or There is no God or There is no Hell

I know Christians will have issue with number 2. But I intend to hold our creator responsible as I should be held responsible for what I have power over.
    No, you see I consider this a little like suggesting that prisons should not exist because criminals are victims of circumstances or something like that, good people deserve to be spared the prescence of people who are not and persist in their error. That's for as long as they do. I cant see God deciding that eternal punishment is preferable to redemption or restoration or renewal, that's not the message of all the stories in the bible and especially the stories of Jesus. Although I cant see a loving God mixing the truly wicked in with the truly good, it would be a little like a parent repeatedly sending their children to suffer bullying and violence.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SRT View Post
    That's certainly an interesting way to look at it. I guess that goes with my view that God reincarnates everyone across multiple lifespans until we've all succeeded in correctly overcoming every obstacle/sin that we come across. At that point we can be allowed to enter Heaven. Think of it like progressing through school. At the end of each year (life), if you've learned what you needed to learn you can then move on to the next year, which will have different challenges for you to pass. If not, you repeat until you learn what it was that you needed to learn.

So I don't think that Hell exists as a location, but rather a metaphor for the troubles that exist in your life that didn't need to be. Which sounds alot like your viewpoint as well.
    I agree with your last part there but not with the example of schooling or even reincarnation, I dont disbelieve in reincarnation per se because all things are possible to God, however I dont see why it would be a tool employed by God, perhaps but it doesnt seem likely to me and it resonates too much with modern examples or analogies like the school one you give.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    No, you see I consider this a little like suggesting that prisons should not exist because criminals are victims of circumstances or something like that, good people deserve to be spared the prescence of people who are not and persist in their error. That's for as long as they do. I cant see God deciding that eternal punishment is preferable to redemption or restoration or renewal, that's not the message of all the stories in the bible and especially the stories of Jesus. Although I cant see a loving God mixing the truly wicked in with the truly good, it would be a little like a parent repeatedly sending their children to suffer bullying and violence.
    This. I'm not Christian, but in a strange way I really do believe in God. I can't claim to really know anything definitely about God, but I can say 'he is not this' and 'he is not that'. In the end thinking about it isn't terribly necessary, just knowing that doing good is well.. good. This probably doesn't make much sense.

MBTI
    INTj

If something as fundamental as Hell can be interpreted as a metaphor, then isn't it equally valid to treat other Biblical principles as abstract guidelines?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    If something as fundamental as Hell can be interpreted as a metaphor, then isn't it equally valid to treat other Biblical principles as abstract guidelines?
    I fully advocate this, and so do many people who are Christians.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    This. I'm not Christian, but in a strange way I really do believe in God. I can't claim to really know anything definitely about God, but I can say 'he is not this' and 'he is not that'. In the end thinking about it isn't terribly necessary, just knowing that doing good is well.. good. This probably doesn't make much sense.
    I am a Christian, an RC (I know some protestants dont believe them to be the same thing), but I have met a lot of people who share this view here, I dont know why that should actually be the case but its more complex I feel than being alienated from God as an authority principle or traditional associations or "bad religion", why do you feel this way?

My beliefs surrounding God can be summed up in the perspective that God is actually seeking man, not simply man seeking God or having a God shaped hole or things of that nature, although that may be the case and some people may feel that more than others, all the world religions interest me as a consequence. That said I dont believe they all have equal baring and weight or importance.

MBTI
    STP

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnrJVTSYLr8"]Erasing Hell by Francis Chan[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    I think this depends what you mean, what are "abstract guidelines" as opposed to "principles"? What do you mean by "interpreted as a metaphor"?

I believe that people can have as much hell as they want in this life or the next but I dont mean that it is purely metaphorical or devoid of reality, it is real if you ruin your life and that of others, it is real if others disassociate themselves from you, or you from them, or you from God, and a state of being has been created which will exclude you so long as you persist in your error and wrong doing.

I dont know what abstract guidelines are in the context you mention or how to differentiate between them and principles, I do believe that the bible and other religious sources, and most importantly for me traditions, provide a system of keystones to living a satisfying and happy existence before and after life.