User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 158

  1. #51
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    I think it's important to differentiate between types of realities. Yeah.. this is going to sound all spacey and far out, but it doesn't make it any less true. There's the reality of the material world which most people usually equate with 'really real', and there's the reality of human nature. It's argued, and possibly logically provable that the material world is all there exists. In which case we are just parts of it, systems governed by rules.

    It seems self-evident that our rules strongly disagree with the assessment of what material world deems as important in terms of proportion, scale as compared to the whole. It's also very likely that our base 'software' cannot possibly comprehend the universe as a whole and has to shorthand it. This constitutes the reality that we perceive on a daily basis.

    If you said God, even just a personal conception of God exists in only a human reality, and I had to choose which reality had precedence, I'd choose the human dimension. Thinkers are probably already getting nauseous reading this. But I do think a person's idea of God is a personification of what is important in being human. An idea with importance that outranks scientific findings.

    The crux of the situation is when your conception of what is important conflicts violently with what other people think is important. But in my opinion this remains the same with or without personification.
    that makes sense, too. I'm inclined to think that sometimes human minds can't be happy/ sane without believing certain things to be true, though. I guess that doesn't make them any less true.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  2. #52
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Peguy should expand on the whole deification of Buddha thing. I've always been more interested in Zen because it's very essential and stripped down. But I notice other groups have gone in different directions with it, ones I haven't bothered looking into.
    To be honest I think that Zen is transcendent and could be associated with a lot of seperate or different relgious or ideological doctrines, Fromm discussed how Zen adn psycho-analysis could be congruent even, in Dune its a very slight aside but the Zen Sunnis are interesting for their combination of Zen mind and divine preordained planning to become the ultimate stoics, its only a literary example but still.

  3. #53
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    What we believe is always a matter of choice, or in other words, how far we feel that we feel 'convinced' or a certain idea or concept.
    To an extent this is true, people can choose to believe the patently absurd, that the moon is made of cheese and the sky is green but it doesnt effect what really is, if you are interested in truth you wont be content with a simple choice or invention, either of your own or someone elses.

    I think that the idea that man is so central to things and his thinking and decisions shape reality and are the only thing which gives reality any order or meaning at all is an inversion of what actually is the case, its a mistake which is age old and over laid with each new generations burgeoning narcissism.

  4. #54
    Senior Member Zangetshumody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Where there is little point to this if you willfully ignore your strongest opposing argument and grapple with the straw men. And look at that, just about everything abstract happens to be male...
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

  5. #55
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zang View Post
    If you don't perceive an argument in one of my threads, please feel free to ignore it rather than creating a focal point of wasted attention which could be diverted elsewhere.
    As a participating member of the forum, I'm allowed to respond to a non-proof on a topic that has been discussed zillions of times on the 'net and that entitles itself "The Irrefutable Existence of God," when it doesn't even offer the basics of a typical OPENING argument for God's existence.

    (Unless you're just here for strokes, and then your argument should rightfully be placed in Bonfire or Fluff.)

    As I said, your "proof" isn't a proof, it's a statement of belief. Apparently you don't feel like addressing this.

    (Someone right after this post quoted Wikipedia, for goodness' sake, to dance circles around your OP.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #56
    Senior Member Zangetshumody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    As a participating member of the forum, I'm allowed to respond to a non-proof on a topic that has been discussed zillions of times on the 'net and that entitles itself "The Irrefutable Existence of God," when it doesn't even offer the basics of a typical OPENING argument for God's existence.

    (Unless you're just here for strokes, and then your argument should rightfully be placed in Bonfire or Fluff.)

    As I said, your "proof" isn't a proof, it's a statement of belief. Apparently you don't feel like addressing this.

    (Someone right after this post quoted Wikipedia, for goodness' sake, to dance circles around your OP.)
    Being allowed to speak is not the same as knowing when too open your floodgate of blather. All the more engaging oppositions were already countered if you were capable of taking account of such things, perhaps you wouldn't mind perceiving your repeated and subsequent lack of substance with your posts, is this how one amasses 24k posts?

    Oh, my cosmological argument was atypical... however will you process the complex rendering of my words, is it really too hard to follow? Please don't burden me with your personal problems.
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

  7. #57
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    I think this is a fascinating topic. Among other things, it touches on how the universe came about, and that is an intriguing question.

  8. #58
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    PROOF!


  9. #59
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zang View Post
    If you don't perceive an argument in one of my threads, please feel free to ignore it rather than creating a focal point of wasted attention which could be diverted elsewhere.
    Your thread topic says something is "irrefutable," but it says nothing about an irrefutable argument. Jennifer is right: your personal beliefs on the subject are indeed irrefutable. I thought her analysis of your OP was spot on and appropriate for the thread topic.

    Everybody has a right to their own subjective version of truth.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  10. #60
    Senior Member Zangetshumody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Your thread topic says something is "irrefutable," but it says nothing about an irrefutable argument. Jennifer is right: your personal beliefs on the subject are indeed irrefutable. I thought her analysis of your OP was spot on and appropriate for the thread topic.

    Everybody has a right to their own subjective version of truth.
    I believe one has to be quite dull to avoid all the elements of the cosmological argument in my words. If you require me to point these out in the form premise 1, premise 2, sub-conclusion and conclusion then I'm sorry, but this is something you really should be capable of parsing on your own. Does your mind truly get all fogged up when you read metaphor? Is it really too much to ask that you apply your mind when your shown all the elements of something assembled in an atypical form... excuse me for not catering to the INTP minority, who with just a bit of work could find the sustenance for their Ti to devour.
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

Similar Threads

  1. Arguing the Existence or Non-existence of God--the thread that never ends
    By The Wailing Specter in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 197
    Last Post: 04-07-2015, 07:37 AM
  2. The Different Names of "God"
    By Thalassa in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 02:34 AM
  3. The central question of religion is not the existence of God?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
  4. Replies: 96
    Last Post: 12-25-2008, 08:05 PM
  5. Debate on the existence of god
    By nightning in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 03:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO