User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

for a couple of quotes from the book Good Omens, to cover the topic

"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people."

"Just when you'd think they were more malignant than ever Hell could be, they could occasionally show more grace than Heaven ever dreamed of. Often the same individual was involved. It was this freewill thing, of course. It was a bugger"
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

People are inherently weak and boring.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

After thinking about this, I mostly think people lean towards the good side. They're mostly good but are flawed and will be bad sometimes.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    After thinking about this, I mostly think people lean towards the good side. They're mostly good but are flawed and will be bad sometimes.
    Most people act "bad" because something is wrong: they are sick, in pain, hungry, homeless, living in poverty, mentally ill, angry, stressed out, or don't have love in their life.

People whose physical, emotional, mental, and relationship needs are met are usually kinder, more rational, and easier to get along with than others.

You do have that small percentage of the population who are just selfish pieces of fuck for no good reason, but many times that's because they're the opposite: spoiled.

People who are too spoiled or too needy are usually the most horrid people. I know I'm a real bitch when I'm frightened or under stress, but if my life is going normally and I have everything I need (including love) I tend to be much more generous, others-centered, and calm.

People who have never known love are sometimes total shitheads to other people even if all of their financial needs are met. Like people who have everything money can buy but never knew real love, understanding, or intimacy can be real tools.

I think the bottom line is that there are usually reasons why people do what they do, and only a small percentage of people who are just bad to be bad because they're truly that narcissistic or selfish.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    People are inherently weak and boring.
    Weak... I would agree with that for some people, but what is more interesting to you than people? I am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Most people act "bad" because something is wrong: they are sick, in pain, hungry, homeless, living in poverty, mentally ill, angry, stressed out, or don't have love in their life.

People whose physical, emotional, mental, and relationship needs are met are usually kinder, more rational, and easier to get along with than others.

You do have that small percentage of the population who are just selfish pieces of fuck for no good reason, but many times that's because they're the opposite: spoiled.

People who are too spoiled or too needy are usually the most horrid people. I know I'm a real bitch when I'm frightened or under stress, but if my life is going normally and I have everything I need (including love) I tend to be much more generous, others-centered, and calm.

People who have never known love are sometimes total shitheads to other people even if all of their financial needs are met. Like people who have everything money can buy but never knew real love, understanding, or intimacy can be real tools.

I think the bottom line is that there are usually reasons why people do what they do, and only a small percentage of people who are just bad to be bad because they're truly that narcissistic or selfish.
    Yes, I agree with this.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Actions can be 'good' or 'bad', but people are just people.

Besides, what kind of knowledge would we gather if we could actually determine if somebody is 'good' or 'bad'? What would be the consequences of that? The person would still be the same, just that it would come with a label.
    Past actions can be used to predict future behavior. This is a fundamental advantage that comes with having knowledge about anything capable of performing an action. The problem is that the individual's actions may not align with the predicted behavior. And the past actions do not have to be dependent on the individual at all. You could say that a person has an attribute, but how would you find the attribute for goodness? You can say that a person is (independently of that person's actions) something, and then his or her actions can unfold from there. People are water-dependent, so they drink water. They don't have to, but they almost always do. Goodness is probably more likely a result of a person being at a certain place, in a certain time, with certain resources, certain motivations, and (by chance?) taking primarily actions that fall consistently within the boundaries of a theoretical universal morality. I just don't think it's worth the effort to try and keep track of all that. I predict that you won't find any one variable that absolutely determines that a person will be "good", and you won't find "evil" either.

ThatGirl

I believe every single person on the face of this planet is capable of inconceivable good and bad. Most people utilize their talents somewhere in the median, preferring one side only slightly more than the other. Most of which is contingent of circumstance.

*I tried to sound smrt, did it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Weak... I would agree with that for some people, but what is more interesting to you than people? I am curious.
    Masses of people, societies, institutions, group dynamics.
    Imaginary worlds, other dimensions, time, crossroads...
    Laws of science, uninhabited space.

Pretty much everything, I guess.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I believe every single person on the face of this planet is capable of inconceivable good and bad. Most people utilize their talents somewhere in the median, preferring one side only slightly more than the other. Most of which is contingent of circumstance.

*I tried to sound smrt, did it work?
    Sounds reasonable to me.
    I am wondering if people who think humans are bad think this way mostly as a defense mechanism.

*Yes.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I think most people are inherently good. It is when you bunch people together that they become evil.
    This is why I do not generally put much trust in the friendship of a city-person.
    That is just a general guideline, but they tend to be more degenerate, immoral, liberal, selfish and untrustworthy.
    It's just a matter of environment shaping people, however, and some people always evade being warped by it through sheer strength of character.
    They tend to be all the better.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come