• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Homo sapiens?

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Do you consider the taxonomic designation of Homo sapiens to be justified?
Some consider Homo sapiens to be a rather arrogant classification as it is merely based on a minor qualitative difference between this species and prior species.

There is of course a wonderful list of alternatives on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alternative_names_for_the_human_species

Do you think any of these are more suitable?
I happen to like Homo mendax myself, or perhaps one that emphasises our egotistical nature.

Nicodemus

From the list I would pick 'homo metaphysicus' (Schopenhauer) or, though divorced from Cassirer, 'animal symbolicum'.

'Homo sapiens' is not entirely wrong, but it is hardly a distinct quality of man to have knowledge.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that we (homo sapiens sapiens) are indeed the same route species as neanderthals (homo sapiens neanderthalensis), denisova man (new recently discovered subspecies, scientific classification pending) homo heidelbergensis (homo sapiens heidelbergensis). genetic evidence has found that non-african humans share 1-4% of their ancestry with neanderthals and that the people of Papau New Guinea share 5% of their DNA with the recently discovered denisova hominin. as the denisova hominin and neanderthals both stem from homo heidelbergensis, then that by extension should also have been able to breed with homo sapiens (they were much more morphologically similar to us than neanderthals anyway)
PS: I am implying that homo rhodisiensis and homo heidelbergensis are indeed the same species as their has been no evidence to prove otherwise. I am also taking into account homo sapiens idaltu which is undeniably homo sapiens
PS: I kinda have an addiction to human evolution documentaries. they're so fascinating :laugh:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you consider the taxonomic designation of Homo sapiens to be justified?
Some consider Homo sapiens to be a rather arrogant classification as it is merely based on a minor qualitative difference between this species and prior species.

There is of course a wonderful list of alternatives on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alternative_names_for_the_human_species

Do you think any of these are more suitable?
I happen to like Homo mendax myself, or perhaps one that emphasises our egotistical nature.

I disagree with it, but I don't see how it's arrogant. simply another opinion