123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Of what use is philosophy?

I've seen many posters on here waffle about philosophical books and theories yet few actually employ them with wit and skill.

Is philosophy of use or is it merely an academic subject like religious education?
    Do you employ what philosophy you know? How?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It helps me evaluate what's important in my life, in the universe. Wit and skill are enjoyable, but not on the top of the list.

As someone who doesn't embrace any one theory or hypothesis in its entirety, philosophical writings are useful for bit piece, as well as a window into other possibilities or manner of critical thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I've seen many posters on here waffle about philosophical books and theories yet few actually employ them with wit and skill.

Is philosophy of use or is it merely an academic subject like religious education?
    Do you employ what philosophy you know? How?
    I dont consider religious education an academic subject, I'd need you to clarify what exactly "employ them with wit and skill" means and how you would know whether or not posters on an internet forum where or where not doing so, what for instance makes this thread distinct from the waffle you describe?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont consider religious education an academic subject, I'd need you to clarify what exactly "employ them with wit and skill" means and how you would know whether or not posters on an internet forum where or where not doing so, what for instance makes this thread distinct from the waffle you describe?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    As someone who doesn't embrace any one theory or hypothesis in its entirety...
    I agree. Surely to embrace one philosophy in it's entirety without contradiction would be closer to religion than critical thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Religious education being academic from the point of view of it not being essential to life, if you are religious then you know and if you're not or you're dealing with people who are then it's the person and not their religion whom you are dealing with.

Employing philosophy with wit and skill, to me, implies understanding it, it's implications and it's implementation rather than merely regurgitating without wisdom or insight no matter how applicable it may seem.

As for this thread being distinct from those I ambiguously identified, an interesting question. Surely I would have to state my own beliefs more specifically to fall into those traps? This I could do but then I'd be making a statement about what I considered to be the correct answer and drawing battle lines on such. My intention is merely research at this point though I am intrigued as to the source of the question? Do you take offence at my suppositions or merely asking out of a need to understand?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP

Philosophy leads to ideas, and ideas are useful for practically anything.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Philosophy is important because it means people are questioning society, why people do what they do, etc. It also helps to clarify what is ethically important, and why.

On the other hand, I think sometimes it goes too far. I don't know if this is because I lack Ti, or am not an NT, or am just a little less N, but after a certain point philosophy gets on my nerves because it doesn't seem like it has much to do with real life and real people.

If philosophy doesn't have some applicable purpose it's just bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I agree. Surely to embrace one philosophy in it's entirety without contradiction would be closer to religion than critical thinking.

Religious education being academic from the point of view of it not being essential to life, if you are religious then you know and if you're not or you're dealing with people who are then it's the person and not their religion whom you are dealing with.

Employing philosophy with wit and skill, to me, implies understanding it, it's implications and it's implementation rather than merely regurgitating without wisdom or insight no matter how applicable it may seem.

As for this thread being distinct from those I ambiguously identified, an interesting question. Surely I would have to state my own beliefs more specifically to fall into those traps? This I could do but then I'd be making a statement about what I considered to be the correct answer and drawing battle lines on such. My intention is merely research at this point though I am intrigued as to the source of the question? Do you take offence at my suppositions or merely asking out of a need to understand?
    I dont agree with what you've said about religion at all.

I also think, and this is very much evidenced by your final paragraph, that you're trafficking in sophistry, Socrates and Plato would have totally owned you for doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Philosophy is important because it means people are questioning society, why people do what they do, etc. It also helps to clarify what is ethically important, and why.

On the other hand, I think sometimes it goes too far. I don't know if this is because I lack Ti, or am not an NT, or am just a little less N, but after a certain point philosophy gets on my nerves because it doesn't seem like it has much to do with real life and real people.

If philosophy doesn't have some applicable purpose it's just bullshit.
    *whispers*

Marmie, you are my bitch, you hear only my voice...