User Tag List

First 456

Philosophy creates us.

Philosophy no more has a use than I do, for I am an end in myself, I have no need to justify my existence by being useful. Tools are useful, tools are a means to an end, and I am that end.

So it is a mistake to think of philosophy as a tool.

They often tell me that things are neither good nor bad, it's just how we use them. In other words, they are just tools for our use. And so after a while we start to think that people are just tools for our use. Capital used to refer to employees as 'hands', not people but just 'hands' to be used in manual labour.

And the same kind of mistake is made with media whether it is print media or electronic media. We are told the media are just tools, they are not intrinsically good or bad, it just depends how we use them.

But philosophy, like media, is far more important than that, for we create philosophy and philosophy creates us.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I came to understand philosophy including psychoanalysis and every other pseudoscience as Te-central where they can have fun.

I like philosophy as long as it doesnt steal every idea from physics, if philosophy is needed to generate new ideas, I doubt that. But we need philosophy as a faculty to question the status quo and our political or economical system. People nowadays have grown very lazy of reflecting on anything or questioning anything and in that light the need for a philosophical reflection or debate of reality is in my opinion atm the highest
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ESFJ

If one needs to drive a nail, then a hammer is useful.

If one is troubled by some philosophical quandary, then studying philosophy can be useful.

If not, then not.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Seeing as how logic and ethics fall within philosophy, I think the practical use of philosophy is rather obvious.

More indirectly, though, I think it is also a mental exercise, and it can improve one's ability to solve practical problems.

For me, it's also entertaining.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Philosophy no more has a use than I do, for I am an end in myself, I have no need to justify my existence by being useful. Tools are useful, tools are a means to an end, and I am that end.

So it is a mistake to think of philosophy as a tool.

They often tell me that things are neither good nor bad, it's just how we use them. In other words, they are just tools for our use. And so after a while we start to think that people are just tools for our use. Capital used to refer to employees as 'hands', not people but just 'hands' to be used in manual labour.

And the same kind of mistake is made with media whether it is print media or electronic media. We are told the media are just tools, they are not intrinsically good or bad, it just depends how we use them.

But philosophy, like media, is far more important than that, for we create philosophy and philosophy creates us.
    Yes.
    This is what I tried to say.
    Thank you, Victor.

We are back to Paul's painting.
    What is the purpose of existence? = what is the use of philosophy?
    Purpose is about use.

Philosophy is about what is.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Philosophy is about what is.
    This!